“very impressed”

Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary, British
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 14, 2014

Me and my wife ate here and found it to be a most excellent neighbourhood bistro/restaurant. Beautifully cooked seafood and a very moreish vegetable fritto misto... gorgeous burger and excellent chips. Who needs pictures on the walls when the food is so spot on? The wines are well considered and there's some good new world kit to choose from. I can't wait to go back. Classy but not stuck up, which is a rare and beautiful thing in St. Mawes. Go eat here.

Reviewed August 14, 2014

Can't believe some of the negative reviews on here. The Watch House is a superb restaurant with a perfect setting overlooking the harbour.

The waiting team were friendly and accommodating (my wife made some minor adjustments to her meal) and the food (for 6 of us) was superb; two fish and chips, two fish curries, a burger and a chicken schnitzel. The fish and chips was the best I've had on this, or any other, Cornwall holiday (perhaps with the exception of Rick Stein's...).

Some have said the prices are too steep; but frankly that's ridiculous. All the mains came in under £17 which is about right and the food was nicer that the Idle Rocks opposite, which charges a far higher price for inferior food and smaller portions.

All-in-all, a nice, unpretentious, restaurant with cracking views, food and service. What more can one ask for?

Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

I am not one to moan but we had take away fish and chips last night and they were nothing to write home about. They were cold and the chips in particular were very dry.
Very disappointing for a take -away that always has a queue outside!!

1  Thank Windridge
Reviewed August 8, 2014

While visiting St.Mawes after a few years I took my family to the now Updated Watch House.
Firstly how disappointed we all were at this Soulless place, no character, bland, the only colour in the place were a few scruffy flags draped over the lights. We were aware that beautiful St.Mawes was hit hard by the winter storms earlier in the year, this restaurant reflected this by tideline stained furnishings downstairs, we never made it upstairs. We sat in one of the booths and looked at the menu, most lacking but very pricey to previous years. My two children went and looked at the open air cakes displayed on the front counter, hurried back to inform me they were crawling in flies and a wasp was munching on the Cream Gateau, YUK!!!
A HEALTH & HYGENE ISSUE.
We decided this wasn't for us and decided to leave, I did inform the waiter about the flies who looked at me as though I was from another planet, then took a tea towel off his shoulder to beat the flies of the cakes.
This is not what we have ever been use to in any catering business in St.Mawes in the past, The Watch House is a let down to the village.
I feel sad about my review and I guess will never know how good the food is here, I must say there is no accounting for taste.

Reviewed August 7, 2014

I appreciate that it is high season in Cornwall at the moment, but we did have to wait about 20 minutes for our fish and chips after ordering them. It was also quite pricey but I expected that of an expensive town like St. Mawes. The food was great though- standard fish and chips so no problems there!

1  Thank TashaL0uise