“Best staff in town”

Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary, British
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Great meal on Wednesday 16th July. I had a squid, chorizo starter which was exceptional and a very acceptable whole lemon sole. My wife's ribeye steak was cooked exactly as she asked. All the food was warm although the wine, ordered by the glass could have been better chilled. We have been to all three of the top rated restaurants in Saint Mawes now and the service here was the most attentive and best trained, i.e they asked if you needed more drinks just at the right time etc. This is simple observation technique but is often lacking these days. The unfussy service and informal atmosphere is refreshingly unpretentious and enhances the dining experience. Great credit goes to the chef and the waiting staff and all this for about a third less on the price than the top- rated restaurant in town.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

Good friendly service, wife has Mussels and a Frites, excellent, my pie and mash also very good. Decent value, dog could come in downstairs too, all in all a very enjoyable lunch. Draft beer or Cider would be good!

Reviewed July 13, 2014

The lunch time we were there was quiet which is a travesty given the full beer garden of a run of the mill close competitor. People need to step over the threshold and take a chance here. The food was superb. The crab rarebit was exceptionally good, the prosecco was divine. Service was friendly, prices were reasonable and the interior, although a little stark, is comfortable and relaxed.

1  Thank Julie H
Reviewed July 10, 2014

Very bad experience here. Manager/Waiter put us in in a table in the corner behind another couple despite the restaurant being almost empty. Then he got the order wrong. His attitude was very poor, very dismissive when we pointed out our unhappiness. The food was very good I must say, and the other staff were very nice.

2  Thank TadhgC61
Will G, Owner at The Watch House, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

Thank you very much for your review. We take this feedback very seriously and are speaking with the staff member in question regarding your feedback and feedback from others. I'm very glad that the food and the rest of the staff were lovely. Hopefully next time you are in town we can make the whole experience a possitive one.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

Great Ambiance! Tasty Food! Great Service! They even made a mistake of describing the dish that I ordered incorrectly in the menu. I had to return it as it contained food I cannot eat. (I never return a dish!!) Without any hesitation they remade the dish for me.

1  Thank Coral N