“Wonderful food and service”
Review of The Watch House

The Watch House
Ranked #4 of 18 Restaurants in St Mawes
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary, British
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 14, 2012

My husband and myself went to the Watch House in early July and we cannot recommend it strongly enough. We both chose the Halibut which was superb and one of the best meals we have had out for a very long time. So good in fact that we asked if we could have the recipe. To our delight, Will the chef came out at the end of the evening and gave us some background history and went through the recipe with us. I shall certainly have a go at the recipe now that we are home and if I manage to achieve half as good a result as Will produced I shall be very pleased.
I encourage anyone who is reading this to eat at The Watch House - Great chef, lovely front of House and Superb food, you really can't go wrong. Our only regret is that we live over 300 miles away and cannot get to visit regularly

Reviewed July 11, 2012

I ate here with my partner during our trip to St Mawes and I have to say that I was very impressed! After taking a whilte to figure out what I fancied, the charasmatic and helpful owner quickly convinced me to follow my heart and go for the lobster...and I was not dissapointed!

The meal was brilliant value and it was dissapointing when the food ran out. Would definately visit again!

1  Thank Jonnie T
Reviewed July 5, 2012

The food and service was great. I would highly recommend a visit!

Reviewed July 3, 2012

Fabulous food, service and atmosphere. A real gem.

1  Thank dancaz4
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

Thanks dancaz4 for such a lovely review. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 1, 2012

Would have liked to have eaten in the restaurant but were running out of time so opted for the takeaway hatch. Chips were totally uneatable ... hard as carrots. Would have gone back with them but we were ages away in the car park and it was raining. Returned day after to complain but place shut. What a pity, reviews of restaurant so good, wish I could say the same for the takeaway hatch.

2  Thank franfurlong
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

Dear franfurlong
We're very sorry you had a bad experience at the Watch Out take away window and equally sorry that we were shut when you came back to complain as we do like to put things right when ever possible and appreciate constructive criticism especially when it comes to our food.

It seems you were very unlucky with the quality of our chips as we are particularly proud of the fact that we hand chips potatoes daily, steam them for approx 20mins and chill them before frying them to order to hopefully give the perfect chip-crispy outside but soft fluffy inside. As we use fresh potatoes delivered daily, we are some times caught out when the season changes, as the potatoes can change quite a bit and we have to vary the cooking times and temperatures accordingly. It sounds you may have been very unlucky and had a batch of chips that have "slipped through the net" and were not steamed for the required length of time to pass the 'pinch' test to check they are soft enough and ready to be fried.

I can only apologise and hope that next time you are in the area, you can give us another try and see that our chips are some of the best you'll eat. If you let us know who you are when you come to the window, I'll make sure your chips are on the house to make up for the last batch!

Thanks,
Will Gould (Head Chef/Owner)