“very enjoyable stay”
Review of The Rising Sun

The Rising Sun
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in St Mawes
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We visited here as a couple and I must say how enjoyable our stay was. Breakfast was to die for and our evening meal was amazing. Compliments to all the staff, very hard working and pleasant. Will return.

Room Tip: Corner Suite is beautiful
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
RisingSun11, Manager at The Rising Sun, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2014

Thank you for your comments, i am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed our food, we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

I really do not like giving poor reviews but we were very disappointed with the Rising Sun.

It has one of the best locations in St Mawes and has a less formal atmosphere than some of the surrounding restaurants.

We went for dinner on two consecutive evenings. We returned the second evening hoping that that it was just a bad night.

The staff are mixed with some disinterested and some helpful. It is an 'order at the bar and get a number' system which makes the need for good service limited but important when creating first impressions.

Part of our order didn't come on the first night and gave the benefit of the doubt that it was a mistake in my ordering.

The food on the first evening was reasonable. Local scallops nicely prepared and a seafood pasta dish. With fresh presumably local catch.

The second day we had chicken pasta and scampi. The scampi was ok but the pasta was tasteless and poorly prepared.

The reason I have given the review is that the place has great potential but needs a bit of an over-hall in service and kitchen. Great location and atmosphere which may lead to complacency as it will always be busy.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry you had a bad experience with us here at the Rising Sun, our aim is to ensure that all our customers have a memorable time with us, i do apologise this was not the case on your visit. I do hope you will visit us again in the future and have a more pleasant time and enjoy our food.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

I really want to give this place a good review, but unfortunately I can't.

The Rising Sun really should be THE place to go in St Mawes. It is in a beautiful setting - looking straight out across St Mawes harbour.

We first started coming here about 5 years ago and at the time the food was good and so was the service. However, each year both seem to have steadily declined.

I used to love having a glass of Tribute there, but after having a couple that didn't taste very good, I now stick to coffee!

One recommendation that I can make is the Ploughmans Lunch - it's the one item on the menu that I always enjoy, but there really needs to be more.

The staff could do with some customer care training - or even something a little more simple such as being told to smile.

At the moment, I can only recommend this pub for it's view - but I am hoping it will improve......

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julieann100

Thank you for your review, your comments have been taken on board and we do hope you will visit us in the future.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

I reviewed The Rising Sun after the last time we visited St Mawes in May and stated just how great it was. So much so, I couldn't wait to go back, have some lunch and a lovely pint of Tribute.

We sat outside, ordered our food (a ham baguette and a brie and cranberry sandwich): within seconds of the plates being put in front of us, a seagull swooped down stealing my girlfriend's food from her plate and knocking our drinks over. This was a pretty traumatic experience (not to mention messy with drinks going everywhere). We were offered no assistance from the passing waitresses, but made a hasty retreat inside to the sympathy of other punters who had witnessed the attack. I located a waitress to inform her we had moved inside as she was bringing a side of chips and asked if anything could be done in terms of replacing the food that had been stolen. I was told that it is their policy not to replace food stolen by seagulls. But a manager would be sent over. The manager, whilst sympathetic to the attack, refused to replace any food and confirmed it was their policy, pointing to some small signs outside stating that it was indeed their policy (unsurprisingly, we had not noticed these on the way in as they are very small).

My issues:
Firstly hygiene- Seagulls are vermin. If the premises had mice, you'd buy a cat. If it had rats, you'd lay poison. Why is it different with seagulls??! These birds spread disease, are pests and need to be dealt with. Hire a falconer, bring in professional assistance. Whatever it takes. http://www.rentokil.co.uk/commercial-pest-control/pest-problems/bird-control/seagulls/damage-disease/index.html . Call environmental health and seek their assistance.

Secondly commercial values: This is their problem with seagulls, don't make it the customers'.

Thirdly policy: their signs state food, not drinks. The very least they could have done is replaced the drinks

I have a problem with the lack of concern and the lack of action taken for this clearly on going problem. Perhaps when placing orders at the bar, the staff could state 'we have a problem with seagulls, please be aware' this at least would negate the possibility of missing the signs...

I welcome feedback from the manager on this, as I think your lack of leadership in this matter will destroy your business if you are not careful.

PS the food (when you get to eat it), is actually very good. The waiting/ bar staff are really friendly too.

Room Tip: Beware of the seagulls they steal your food and the manager will not offer you any assistance in fig...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank finedinewine

Thank you for your comments, i am sorry you felt that we should replace your food and drinks, i was unaware that your drinks had been disturbed by the seagulls as it was only the food that was bought to my attention. We are here to please our customers and you did inform me you had seen the signs outside. The Seagulls are, as i am sure you are aware, protected animals under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, therefore not classed as vermin. We do inform customers when they order, that if they do eat outside to be cautious of these birds. So you can then choose whether to eat inside or outside. Once again, thank you for your comments.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We come to St Mawes most years and normaly end up eating at the Rising Sun at least once. I've always had an enjoyable time there and have been pleased with the food, however this time, less so. The menu had not changed from previous years but the specials offered a nice alternative. That being said, everything on the menu, including the specials were very over-priced for what it was. On the counter side, some of our portions were very large!

As far as the service went, it was very hit and miss. There were several young waitresses who could not of been more attentive, whereas one waitress rudely informed us that a table was reserved for residents when in fact that was not the case and she did not apologise for the confusion.

I am not one to mind getting my own cutlery, but for the prices they were charging it didn't quite work for me.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Rising Sun, excellent food, varied and interesting menu. The staff at the bar are welcoming and the waiting staff very attentive. Fish & Chips on Fridays or any other day excellent!
A very good carvery every Sunday lunchtime & Wednesday evening is a must summer as well as winter.
To get the table you want get there early as no bookings are taken to reserve a table.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank RodneysSt_MawesTruro
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Myself and a party of five others stopped off for a spot of lunch after visiting St Mawes for the day. We are all from Falmouth so appreciate local businesses being busy during the summer months.
When we arrived we all quickly made up our minds on our orders. So we made our order in pairs as we are three couples. We were served one after another so you would expect a small delay between each set of meals being ordered? Wrong! The first two meals were served then a wait of 20 minuets went by until the next meals came out. It was a further 15 minuets before I decided to complain as it had been a total of 35 minuets from the first meals being served and we were still waiting on two meals! By this time the rest of the party had finished there food! The lady told me it was because we had ordered separately and that there was hot and cold food ordered so that's why?? Outrageous really! I cancelled my order and asked for a refund. We were refunded the amount for our food but still charged £2.30 for one orange squash with tap water. Purely out of common courtesy you would think it would be a nice way to apologise by not charging us for the drink! We then returned to Falmouth where We enjoyed a nice lunch in the tree top cafe!
Overall the food that was served was of a poor quality and the service was shocking!
Local businesses depend on locals. Out of the six of us we all agreed we will never visit the rising sun again and we will all be strongly advising others to do the same.

Stayed: August 2013
#1 of 1 in Portloe
The Oceanic Hotel
The Oceanic Hotel
#1 of 24 in Falmouth

Been to The Rising Sun? Share your experiences!