“Nice food, good views.”
Review of The Rising Sun

The Rising Sun
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in St Mawes
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed a nice meal on the front patio overlooking the estuary. It can get crowded on the front patio which makes it a bit noisy to enjoy conversation during your meal and with tables fighting for space. At one point I had to ask a crowd of "high brow" teenagers to move around when one of them decided to move his chair into the side of my wife to allow a girl to sit on his knee, thus giving my wife no elbow room to eat. Then he loudly announced how they had to make room to allow the nice people to enjoy their meal. No manners amongst the younger higher classes! But that's not a fault of the pub, we were just unlucky I think. The food was good, although a little pricey for the fact you have to fetch your own cutlery and condiments from inside the pub, although they do tell you to get these yourself when you pay for your order at the bar.

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Disappointed with the food. I ate the mussels which had not taste whatsoever. I think they had been boiled in water and then dunked into a lot of flavourless sauce. When you cook mussels you need to put them in the ready made sauce alive so that all the mussel juices flavour the sauce. My friend had the sole which looked quite a miserly portion compared to the one he had had the previous evening for a similar price. The food was brought out but we were told to help ourselves to cutlery - thought this rather odd as it wasn't a self service cafe! The position of the restaurant was good and the cider went down well.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We visited here in the week and the food was good, but having paid the sum of £80 I was very unimpressed that I was then expected to trail through the bar to our front patio table clutching knives and forks, salt, pepper, a bottle of vinegar and an assortment of condiments in sachets, If I want a job a waitress I will get one. EvenTesco's cafe has condimemts on the table. Very, very poor customer service in my opinion......hence the low rating.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Some people seem to like this hotel/pub, others don't. I didn't really, but found the staff to be helpful and you can take your dog, which is why I've gone for an average rating rather than poor. Higher than average charge for dogs.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have sea views, but noise from the pub. Rooms at the back are quieter, but are he...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Manxamelia
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

I have visited the rising sun many times for lunch.
It has always been brilliant. I've never had a bad meal. Nor have any of my group (some of whom, like me have visited often)
The service is always friendly and the food is always good.
I would recommend this to anyone.
Well worth a visit.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I can recommend the entire menu of this establishment and the excellent "Specials board". A welcoming public house on the seafront with the most welcoming staff I have encountered for some time. Nothing was too much for them to deal with and all done with an excellent attitude that the customer comes first. Highly recommended. I will be returning in October to stay a few nights. If the rooms are as good as the Bar / Restaurant it will be a brilliant break !

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Not our first visit to the Ring Sun as we've stayed in St. Mawes previously. We knew before we visited what to order and we weren't disappointed. Beautiful large cod with mushy peas and real chips, all piping hot. It's such an all round nice pub, great wide ranging menu for starters, snacks, mains and desserts, with very friendly and polite helpful and efficient staff, The seating area inside is roomy and airy, and the outside patio area is a well positioned and comfortable sun trap to enjoy your food and view the boats and ferries to-ing and fro-ing in the bay

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Portloe
The Oceanic Hotel
The Oceanic Hotel
#1 of 24 in Falmouth

Been to The Rising Sun? Share your experiences!