“Apalling”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in St Mawes
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Apalling”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I booked on the phone in person to the Rising Sun for a very special anniversary weekend.

I asked for the best room with sea view which was available for two nights and I gave them a deposit for £103 which is the most I have ever paid for a room and so I thought this has got to be good. After a 3hr journey from Bristol on a Friday; my partner and I arrived at 10pm with the receipt to be told there was not booking and there must be some mistake.

I had even phoned the day before to check whether it was ok to arrive late and was assured of the booking !!!

The mistake was that the girl on reception had not put the booking in their register. We were then told that there were no rooms at all and we would have to go somewhere else. I was absolutely furious. The girl was off hand and said she MAY be able to find a room.

A room was found at the back of the hotel, over the kitchens with a fan going all night.
For the second night the receptionist found a B&B up the road which was equally disappointing.
Rude staff, no manager in sight and a massive disappointment. Never ever going again.

Room Tip: choose a room somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jo r

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
medway kent
Reviewed October 9, 2012

i stayed in the rising sun in september and it was overpriced staff were rude but the worse bit about it is i orderd a well done steak and it had blood in the middle and my wifes salad had not been cleaned properly it had a bug inside it we was refused a refund . A nd found staff verry rude .Wont be going there again more like an amature hotel

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jamesdoherty167
Somerset
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised by the Rising Sun. The fish and chips were excellent and the lemon posset was also very good. We could sit in one of the dining rooms with our dog which was a bonus as the weather wasn't great. Would eat there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Sutton Coldfield
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Arriving during a festival we were pleasantly pleased to find the staff welcoming, efficient and friendly even though they were very busy. The choice of fresh food was excellent and reasonably priced. This was much better than normal pub food. The choice of desserts was "to die for" so I'm told! (I prefer a starter.) We were not staying at the Rising Sun so cannot comment on the rooms. This is certainly somewhere we will come back to when we are in the area again. We like places where locals come to eat on a regular basis and this appears to be the case at the Rising Sun.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Chriss9042013
Cornwall
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We didn't stay at this hotel so cannot comment on their accommodation. We did however decide to have our lunch at this Hotel and were all, without exception, staggered by the high price of the food and of its stingy portion sizes. I ordered a ham and cheese baguette with 'salad' which came instead as ciabatta, but never mind; we'd waited long enough for the food so I didn't complain. The salad was paltry to say the least; a few sprigs of leafy lettuce, one half of a small plum tomato, two rather small pieces of cucumber al just - accidentally it seemed - grazed by some dressing. I found the value for money extremely poor and thought the management were greedily cashing in on their scenic location and that the 'tourist rip off season' was in full flow. I'd never eat here again; I'd take a picnic or have a pasty from the baker's on the quay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 3, 2012

We stayed in St Mawes last summer and ate often at The Rising Sun, though we did not stay there so cannot comment on rooms etc. We found the atmosphere pleasant and the staff friendly and welcoming. I did feel the menu could do with a bit more variety but the food was cooked well and hot, and the portions were quite generous. There was a very comfortable lounge too.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ElizabethW2
Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We visited this establishment last week whilst holidaying in St Mawes and were shocked at the couldnt care less attitude when we had reason to complain.
I would not normally write reviews as having been in the business myself, know how harmful they can be however,as my complaint was not dealt with satisfactoraly on the night i wrote to the manager who couldnt even bother to reply.
Our starters although a tad on the small side were acceptable. The main complaint was our main course of duck.It came on a small bed of onions and pancetta? no potatoes or veg or sauce. An addition of veg or potatoes came at an extra £3 50 per portion. The duck already priced at £15 95!! The duck was extremely dry and needed some kind of sauce.As no one had checked that our meal was ok we called the waitress over and explained. She said she would check with chef and returned with a small pot of very concentrated sauce which served no purpose. We complained again and were offered a free desert. As we dont eat deserts this was of no use to us.We were told this was all they could offer, there was a shrug of the shoulders and that was that, so we left feeling very short changed.
We wrote and hand delivered a letter the next day but got no reply.
It was not so much the complaint but the way it was dismissed that annoyed us.
The problem is St Mawes is quite a distance from anywhere and they have a captive market of holiday makers that change week on week.We spent £85 00 ordered at the bar and were not even told we had to collect our own cutlery and paper napkins.
Our advice would be go to the Idle Rocks hotel opposite it will cost a bit more but you will not be disappointed you will get quality food in a lovely setting with excellent service.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Portloe
Driftwood Hotel
Driftwood Hotel
#1 of 2 in Trewithian

Been to The Rising Sun? Share your experiences!