“Hoping for better .....”
Review of The Idle Rocks

The Idle Rocks
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in St Mawes
Solihull
“Hoping for better .....”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Hardly ever dined in the old Idle Rocks ... couldn't stand the carpet. We had high hopes of the smartly refurbished new one, and indeed it is a huge improvement. Their top attribute remains the divine location, literally at water's edge, and unbeatable in St. Mawes. However, they have a long, long way to go before reaching the standards of The Tresanton. Our waitress was sweet but embarrassed when we chose "Small bites" .... "They are very, very small" ... she warned. So I chose Idle Rocks Salad (£10). "Would you like chips or new potatoes?" Strange with salad, I thought, but I chose new potatoes, which turned out to be £4 extra. I thought the signature salad must be good ... but it was just designer lettuce, a tiny bit of pickled vegetables, and some weeny shavings of goat's curd. Pathetic. The attitude seems to be "How little can we give?" instead of "How can we please our guests?" I would have happily paid more for something good.
Management should take a leaf out of The Tresanton book; they are professionals and show true generousity of spirit, concern for the happiness of the guest, and expert friendly service. It takes more than a sleek decor to win customer loyalty.

10 Thank Jennifer H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
shaftesbury
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I was staying at The Tresanton (wonderful) last week and visited the Idle Rocks twice. I can't make it out at all other than that it is clearly aimed at the upmarket trendy crowd who visit Rock and Padstow in high summer and holidays and then mostly stay away from Cornwall for the rest of the year. I hope they have analysed the target market correctly.

The refurbished terrace is magnificent and stylishly done and so is the small sitting room. I found the Bar/Restaurant a bit of a mish mash. Sort of minimalism meets cottage garden, but to be fair it is a huge improvement on the old decor and the furnishings are quality. But the effect is strangely cold, not helped by the fact that there were very few people about. Two or three tables dining (wildly expensive menu with not a lot of choice) and two drinkers. Despite this, the solitary bar man was elusive and much more interested in the fact that he was leaving for University the next day. I couldn't help noticing that his trendy hessian apron was completely filthy. Horrible. I had a glass of wine on the terrace and later asked for another. Despite my being the only person there, he couldn't remember what I'd had. Nice enough chap but not good enough to put in charge of the bar in a brand new hotel.

The next night there was another bar man who was much more professional and an extremely nice lady who was also organising the restaurant. Despite it being a cold night I enjoyed sitting on the terrace looking out over the water and enjoying the warmth of the flares they have installed. Would willingly repeat this visit but don't think I'd want to stay there until they get their service under control. The place is not cheap and you expect Tresanton standards at that price. I wonder why they didn't go for a more reasonable tariff just to get the place established.

Footnote: On my way out asked for a brochure and tariff of young lady engrossed with her computer (this is SO not the right thing). She looked at me as if I'd asked for an elephant and said 'I don't they THEY are going to do one but we have a postcard. I didn't find out who THEY were but she did tell me that from November they are changing over to a dinner, bed and breakfast rate that was about £350 which I thought was extortionate for off season. She also implied that there would be no choice which I think is a mistake because a lot of people who come to this part of Cornwall like to eat in different places.

I don't know who is running this place but to me it seemed that too much effort had gone into creating a trendy environment, assuming that this would be enough. It isn't. They need to analyse their target market, pitch the rates accordingly and get their service sorted. Pronto.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
12 Thank penny s
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2013

So, we live locally, and having finished our luncheon elsewhere, I thought while we were over in St. Mawes, let's pop in and get some information on the newly refurbished Idle Rocks. The re fit looks fantastic, although I only got a glimpse from the front of the entrance / reception.
On entering, the lady behind the desk, hidden behind a Mac, stayed seated and glanced up, I sort of expected a bit more than 'glance' so asked more to break the ice, do you have a brochure? A quickly well spoken put down came back, " oh I don't think we will do those" ...still seated, and glancing by now back to the Mac, I replied, sorry , just thought it might be a good place for a conference? ( didn't really know what to say as clearly realised I was not wanted there) back came the reply...Oh, I don't think we would want to do those.
And that was that, not a word more, other than busy with The Mac.

Point of the review? Well, I was made to feel stupid, not sure why, but, we won't dine there or stay.
Out of interest, I have never been made to feel like that at Gidleigh ,Tresanton , Nathan Outlawes,
Le manoir, or even in London at Jason Athertons, ......
If this had been my new hotel, which is emptyish, I would have got up and said something like.....can I show you what we have done? Doesn't take a genius really.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
34 Thank Pommepuree
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed October 1, 2013

My wife and I stopped over in St Mawes en route south. We've stayed in St Mawes before and rather daringly decided to try somewhere new.
Idle Rocks must be the discovery of all romantic Cornish hotels.
Beautifully finished throughout with a perfect location right on the rocks. The rooms/beds are super comfortable and the "dernier mot" in luxury must be the auto guide light for the loo. Try the local sparkling wine, it's a very good aperitif. Local catch for dinner is a must.
Proper kippers were available for breakfast, served timely with a ready smile.
What a great start for the rest of the day.
We will certainly return!

Room Tip: Always try for the seaview rooms, the sound of the lapping tide is very soporific.
London
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I agree with David C (19 September). Fabulous hotel, wonderful rooms and an amazing setting but the service is very basic and amateurish; it is almost like Fawlty Towers. This hotel could really be a knock-out however it sounds like (since our stay at the end of August) the promised change of staff has not happened. I am sure it will get ironed out eventually. Good luck Idle Rocks, but unfortunately at the moment you just don't make the cut.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank SmallUbie
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2013

The Idle Rocks had me won over from the moment I stepped into reception. Beautifully set out with its nautical theme, the recent nine-month transformation (this was less of a refurbishment - more of a rebuild!) has clearly been a labour of love.

I had the chance to view most of the 20 rooms currently available (there are four more nearing completion in the adjacent cottage) and the attention to detail is phenomenal. The new owners have put their extensive experience of staying in hotels globally to good use...

There is little more guaranteed to send you off too a gentle sleep - or to ease you back into the new day - than the sound of waves gently lapping against the shore and as most rooms overlook the water this is truly a place where you can escape from stress.

Children are welcome - there's a lovely playroom for the little terrors! - and one of the cottages is set up as dog-friendly too.

Sadly my stay was only for one night and next time I'll have to be sure to book in for the hotel's Sunday brunch which promises to be more of an informal house-guest party.

I understand that the old Idle Rocks had come to the end of a long and tiring life. The new version looks ready to set fresh standards for St Mawes for a very long time to come.

Room Tip: Most rooms face the water but those that don't have been given extra space to compensate. You wo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Rallyman23
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Hotel has been refurbished beautifully, which compliments its outstanding position on the waters edge. Enjoyed a wonderful couple of nights here at beginning of September. Food/wine very good too. Loved it and hope to return.

2 Thank zeebird
#1 of 23 in Falmouth
The Lugger Hotel
The Lugger Hotel
#1 of 1 in Portloe

Been to The Idle Rocks? Share your experiences!