“Lived up to the reputation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Tresanton

Hotel Tresanton
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in St Mawes
Leicester
“Lived up to the reputation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2010

My wife and I stayed here for one night for our 10th wedding anniversary, after 2 nights at another 'boutique' hotel further up the coast. At reception, the staff had obviously made a note of our anniversary and greeted us with a 'happy anniversary'! A great start! And we were offered 2 glasses of complimentary champagne. And the rest of the stay was just as enjoyable. Our car was whisked away by valet and we were shown to our room, No 7. It was one of the larger rooms, and it was very nice and relaxing with a great views and superb bed. We ate dinner at the hotel, and were lucky enough that although mid-May, it was warm enough to be outside (with patio heater!). Breakfast in the morning on the terrace again in the sun, and we were sad to be leaving. So why was this place so good? Well the service was simply superb, very much all happening discreetly in the background, without you noticing it. Little touches like wellies in the room (not needed!) and picnic rugs etc. We liked the relaxed atmosphere in the hotel, not stuffy, homely and very informal. We will book again this year, and would recommend as a place to stay for a special occasion or a treat!! Fantastic!

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Perth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2010

Tresanton is all that other reviewers have said, beautiful location, fabulous views, undersateted luxury, attentive staff, but not for those with any walking difficulties.
I took my mother who is not so sprightly any more and there are 2 flights of steps to reception and then another flight to our room, which she found was at the limits of what she could manage, and it was not pointed out when booking that our room had 3 flights of steps to it.
The car park to the hotel is a very long way up a LOT of steps at the top of the hill, totally impossible for my mother. The staff were very good at valet parking but when we just wanted to pop out in the evening we couldn't be sure that a member of staff would be available to valet park at all times into the late evening or that there would be somewhere to stop at the entrance to the hotel at the bottom of the steps as this small area got very congested. This put my mother of going out as she didn't want to be worrying about the steps and the parking.
Even for me the steps were a bit offputting as you had to make sure that you had everything you might want out of the car at all times as it is a big hike back to the top again for any forgotten items.

So not a problem for fit people but for those who have any issues with lots of steps make sure that it will suit you.

• Stayed November 2009
2 Thank perdita22
fbertolini, manager at Hotel Tresanton, responded to this review, January 25, 2010
Thank you for your positive feedback.

I was sorry to hear that you had trouble with the steps and wanted to highlight that any member of staff (including myself) are on hand to fetch anything from the cars - or the cars themselves - from the car park at any time of the day!

In the evening the little area in front of the hotel is kept free so that anyone coming back after a night out can leave the car in front of the hotel. The next morning our porters park it and we have never had trouble with the traffic warden overnight.

However, anyone having difficulties with steps needs to be made aware and I apologise if we did not make it clear when you booked.

I hope you will still try us again, perhaps in the house next door called the Nook which is closer to the road and has less steps but still great views.

Kindest regards

Federica Bertolini
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2009

I had wanted to stay at the Hotel Tresanton for ages and when my husband asked me what I wanted to do for my 40th birthday I picked the Tresanton.

We arrived late, in the dark on a wet miserable December day but, were greeted by friendly and warm staff and promptly shown to our room - room 28 in the Nook. The room was huge and was lovely with stunning views from the large window across the bay. The bathroom was gorgeous - all white with lovely mosaic tiles giving it a real marine feel. That night we ate in the local pub which was full of locals and had quite good food.

Out of season, St Mawes is pretty empty and at breakfast we found out that there was only 1 other couple staying at the hotel. That made our stay quite special since we had the place to ourselves. It was lovely sitting at breakfast on our own looking at the amazing views. Luckily the morning after we arrived, the sun started shining and remained like that until we left. The breakfasts were delicious and the service and staff really friendly. On my birthday morning I felt really special as everyone kept wishing me Happy Birthday and it was so nice to wake up to the amazing view. We spent the day at St Ives which was gorgeous and so nice to have lunch at the Porthminster Café with views over the gorgeous beach. On the other day we did a great coastal walk around the Lizard.

I love the fact that the Hotel Tresanton feels like someone’s home where you can curl up in front of the fire in the lounge, borrow the wellies, read the books, have dinner in your room - nothing is too much trouble. The hotel has a refined elegance but it’s totally relaxed at the same time with great service. It’s certainly a very special and individual hotel. Thank you Hotel Tresanton for making my 40th birthday so special and memorable - and thank you to my husband for taking me there!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
fbertolini, General Manager at Hotel Tresanton, responded to this review, January 5, 2010
Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a great review of our hotel. We are delighted you had a lovely time and liked room 28. The winter is a wonderful time in Cornwall and often the weather is very reliable; several guests had a sandwich on the terrace on New Year's day.
We hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Federica Bertolini
Annapolis MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2009

My husband and I are from Annapolis, Maryland and we first discovered Hotel Tresanton in August of 2008 during an impulse trip to the UK. Curious to see if it could possibly be as wonderful as we remembered, we returned to Tresanton this past August, bringing my parents along with us. Once again, our stay was pure delight, and my parents were every bit as charmed as we were. Hotel Tresanton has the kind of truly relaxed elegance that can only be achieved through exquisite design and an expertly understated service. The hotel itself is gorgeous, renovated to maximize both romance and modern comforts. A designer myself, I am absolutely in love with the subtly vibrant color palette and gorgeous art (and I seriously covet the Lefroy Brooks bath fixtures.) The vast variety of "loaner" items scattered throughout the hotel--wellies in all sizes, umbrellas, DVDs, board games, books, books and more books--create an atmosphere of unstinting hospitality, and the food is to die for. If you like your luxury hotels homogeneous and ostentatious, Tresanton is not for you, but if you want character and true elegance, this is one few and the best.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Falmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2009

We are locals in these parts so it was a bit strange to go away for a night so close to home. It was certainly worth it though as we were treated to a magical short stay at this gem of an hotel overlooking Falmouth Bay. Tresanton was the first boutique luxury hotel in Cornwall and while there have been several "me too" competitors arrive in the ten years since it re-opened it retains its reputation as the market leader. We know the Roseland like the back of our hand so exploring the area wasn't on the agenda - not that it mattered as we immersed ourself in the casual but precise ambience that they have striven to achieve here. Staff are relaxed and very well motivated, service assured and willing. Views apart, the evening atmosphere, with cleverly placed candles and windy stairs is magical. A comfortable, homely lounge, bracing outdoor terraces and a fresh restaurant complete the picture . The food in the Restaurant was good if not exciting but the breakfast was outstanding.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
falmouth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2009

I visit Tresanton several times a year and my experience is at total variance with that of the previous reviewer. Perhaps he was looking for something different in the first instance and found that a popular hotel, in Summer and in the extremely busy seaside town of St Mawes, did not meet his expectations of solitary luxury. For myself, it 'does what it says on the tin'. The location is perfect, the staff friendly and helpful, the food excellent, and rooms pleasant and well appointed. In my opinion, there is nothing to match it for many miles around.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank galingale
Ferndown, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2009

A "think yourself lucky you are staying here" greeting by the receptionist, squawking babies and small children in the public areas all afternoon and into the early evening, a catalogue of errors ar dinner, a resident's dog yapping at 07:30 a.m., no shower gel. I could go on but this is definitely not the place for a peaceful luxury break.

The only pluses were a room with a great view and a balcony (which we paid handsomely for) and no kids under 6 at dinner.

Give it a miss. There is a distinct lack of attention to detail and because of this the actual experience in no way matches up to its bloated reputation.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
The Lugger Hotel
The Lugger Hotel
#1 of 1 in Portloe
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay

Been to Hotel Tresanton? Share your experiences!