“Great Value break”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in St Mawes
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Great Value break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from an excellent Shearings five day break.
We had a delayed start due to traffic problems with a feeder coach but our driver Steve started the holiday with these words" I will give you a holiday that I would expect if I were a customer". His standards were high and he did not disappoint. The driver makes your holiday and Steve was an excellent driver/ tour guide.
We arrived at the hotel at 8.30 following our delay and with the food serving finishing at 8 we were served when we arrived by a friendly and efficient staff. The food was fresh and well cooked. The excellent service continued throughout our stay.
All the staff at this hotel were friendly and acknowledged all customers when in contact.A five star service from the top to the bottom.
The location of the hotel was excellent and set on the side of a very pretty harbour. Good views of the harbour from the dining room/ lounge area.
The room we had was on the corner of the hotel and had recently been refurbished. Room 136. A new shower that worked perfectly.
The only downside was that the heating went off during the night and did not come on until 7am. With breakfast at 7.30 it would have been nice if the heating came on at 5.30 so that the room was warm when we got up. We did mention this to reception who provided a portable heater to solve this problem.
Overall for the amount we paid the holiday was excellent and we would certainly return again.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Paul R
ShipandCastleHotel, Front Office Manager at The Ship and Castle Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review on our hotel. I am glad everything was to your satisfaction whilst with us. I will pass your comments on to our team at our next team meeting. Look forward to seeing you again. Kind Regards, Jackie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

Shearings at its best again from coach pick-up to return including the excursions. Particularly good was the 'Ship and Castle', where the room (110) was without shortcomings; the staff were all consistently friendly (including our driver 'Tony') and the food quality was well above what could reasonably be expected for the package price. The coastal location is hard to beat with the harbourside about 30 (if I remember correctly!) paces from the hotel entrance. Thoroughly recommended.

2 Thank Erwoodgeorge
ShipandCastleHotel, Front Office Manager at The Ship and Castle Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
I would like to thank you for writing your review on our hotel staff and location.

I am delighted to read that you had a wonderful stay with us and of course your ever so kind words are greatly received. I do agree with you that all our staff deliver the best customer care service and try to make sure we all go the extra mile just to make each and everyone a holiday to remember.

The location of the hotel has some stunning views and is as close to the harbour as you say.

Clacton-on-Sea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

We have just returned and had a good break, the hotel was a bit tired our bedroom had onsuite but was not the best, toilet wedged between bath and wall and no double glazing. The staff were excellent they could not do enough for you, the waiters in the restaurant worked hard to make sure everything was served hot and to your requirements nothing was to much trouble, the barman he was excellent as were reception. Over all nice break beautiful location however would have been unhappy if we had payed the full tarrif.

Room Tip: Go for upgrade but costs extra
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on your recent stay at the ship and castle. I am pleased to read that all our staff made your holiday a pleasing one.

The company is in the process of a refurbishment programme and we hope to have some of our bathrooms done so as to illuminate the small issues we have.

I fully agree with you that the location is absolutely fabulous with stunning views.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

Being a regular Coast and Country client, I have yet to be disappointed with any of their establishments, which seem to be improving their standards at a number of the locations that we have visited over these past years. We booked in for a long weekend self drive break and were allocated a well appointed sea view room upon arrival. The room was clean comfortable, well appointed and with excellent views. Our bed was comfortable and we slept well every night until woken every morning by the noisy seagulls.
The quality and choice of menu at breakfast and evening meal was excellent although I must admit that the portions at meal times appear to be decreasing from that offered in previous years.
The hotels location on the harbour quay at St Mawes is excellent, but it does make parking your car a problem and creates difficulties for people with mobility difficulties.as sometimes it is a long walk from where it is possible to park your car.
All the staff we encountered during our visit were friendly and courteous and we would have no hesitation in recommending this reasonably priced hotel to anyone wishing to take a short break or longer holiday in this part of Cornwall.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms to the front of the hotel well worth the extra charge.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your lovely review on our hotel .We do have exceptional views and beautiful surroundings.

We do as you say do not have parking at the hotel but the main council run car park is only a two to three minute walk away from the hotel.

I am sure you will be with me when I say this but our team do work exceptionally hard and try their utmost to achieve the best customer service and this does make us proud.

We do look forward to seeing you again

Uxbridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

I am a regular Shearings traveller and am always pleased with their hotels but this one exceeded my expectations. My room was comfortable and most acceptable. The food choices were excellent and beautifully presented. Compliments to the chefs.
My Christmas holiday at this hotel was really wonderful and I have to congratulate ALL STAFF who were on duty. They were all HAPPY, I do mean ALL. This may be due to management but if so, it is really spot on. I was so impressed not only with the hotel and staff but the area is beautiful and I hope to return again in the summer time when the weather is better and lighter nights.

Room Tip: Any problems, go to reception. I did not have any I must say.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ann T
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the ship & castle. How nice it is to read that you had a fantastic stay with us and really pleased for all your kind words. I am so pleased to read that we exceeded your expectations and will pass all your kind remarks onto the staff. Look forward to your return visit in the summer .

Bolton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

I have just returned from the Ship & Castle, St Mawes with Shearings Coaches. It was a very good 5 days trip & stay at this Hotel. Being a single person I was treated like everybody else.
I had one complaint, the shower drain had a strong smell on last morning which I reported.
The dates I was there was 25th to 29th November.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on the ship & castle. It is nice to read that you had a good stay whilst with us and I am delighted with your kind words. I will pass all comments to the staff at our team meeting.

Leicester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

Just returned from a weeks holiday at the Ship and Castle (2nd to 6th Dec 13). The location over the harbour is second to none for a relaxing break. Thank you to all the staff at the hotel for making our stay wonderful. The quality and choice of food is excellent (would love the recipe of the vegetarian balti as it was the best I had ever tasted). The staff at the hotel are extremely friendly, especially the wonderful lady cleaner who always brightened our mornings. The room was very clean (room 209). We would not hesitate in recommending this gem of a hotel to others.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Rob P
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your lovely review on out hotel. Our team do work exceptionally hard and always pleased to read such a positive review. Hope you will give us a return visit one day.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Mawes
#1 of 2 in Trewithian
The Lugger Hotel
The Lugger Hotel
#1 of 1 in Portloe

Been to The Ship and Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!