“Fantastic”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I was in St Ives working on my friends cottage and he recommended that we go to The Mermaid for a meal. I had fillet steak with a port and blue cheese sauce, my friend had chicken and chorizo. My meal was the best I have had for years and I do eat out frequently. Can I also say that many eateries around St Ives provide quite plain food and also the service in many of the locations is appalling, you are treated as though they're doing youa favour. THIS WAS DEFINITELY NOT THE CASE AT THIS BEAUTIFUL RESTAURANT. FIRST CLASS SERVICE AND FIRST CLASS FOOD.

1  Thank Jayze612

Reviewed July 10, 2013

found this lovely restaurant by accident but is easily found just up the road from the Sloop Inn. We hadn't booked and were lucky to get the last table. Between us we had the chicken, lobster, prawns and mussels and seafood selection. All were excellent. The service was very prompt and friendly and there is a good and affordable wine selection. The beer battered cauliflower was particularly lovely. We will be back!

1  Thank WonderingMinstrels
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Visited this fish restaurant a few years & was so excited about it & what lovely fish we had had that we recommended it to many friends & family who all visited here when on their respective holidays, they also were impressed
So when we holidayed in St Ives we again booked
No need this time as restaurant was only half full & disappointed that staff were not that friendly & we thought not treated as a valued customer, food was OK but not a wow for the money!!
Perhaps one should not repeat & enjoy past memories

1  Thank Doug L
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Had explored the restaurant lists and reviews before we came down to St Ives, and on initial inspection it looks like a Chinese Rest with the blinding red signage and cartoon illustrations.
BUT having spoken to a couple of locals, we booked. So glad we did, food, service, value for money all excellent. Yes its quirky inside, but that's part of the charm. I can understand the comments on décor when the majority of eating houses have clinical oak, chrome, glass & brown leather interiors - aren't they becoming a little too boring ?
Scallops & Black Pudding to start, was tempted by whole Lobster but plumped for Dover sole.
Wife had crispy squid (starting to dribble now !) starter and a whole sea bass, cooked to perfection. Service was excellent, reasonably priced. Highly recommended.

1  Thank MarkCultureVulture
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Just up the road from St. Ives harbour away from the bussle of holiday makers, this restaurant was very good. You will have to make a reservation, so bare in mind that they have an early diner offer on between 6 & 7pm. Good value for a 3 course meal.
Staff were friendly and I liked the touch when our waitress aked if we wanted a short break before ordering dessert.
Wine was reasonable.