“Another great meal”

Porthminster Beach Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Porthminster Beach Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 154 Restaurants in St Ives
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A Cornish beach café using local produce to the best of our ability, producing modern European dishes with a Pacific Rim influence. We pride ourselves on the best service we can deliver, and experiences our customers will remember. Apologies, but we do not accept dogs in our restaurant or on our terrace.
Reviewed May 11, 2014

We ate here last year for a special occasion and came back this year for a special birthday. The meal was excellent and the service good. The only disappointment was that I tried to book the same table we had last year by email in March but never got a response to my email, nor to my follow up email. Eventually I booked online and then rang by which time all the window tables had gone. The staff did find us a nice table with a view at the side of the restaurant. My tip- if you specifically want a window table then PHONE them and do it at least 2 months before. Despite mentioning the email situation to staff when I rang, neither email has ever been answered. I would definitely eat here again but think they should take the offer of contacting them by email off the website.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,744)

Reviewed May 11, 2014

The restaurant is spectacularly set on the beach, the food was great and the service excellent. It was our first time in St. Ives and this is definitely one of the top spots to go.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

I really don't understand the hype for this restaurant nor why it has won awards. I was attracted to it by the wonderful smell of food beckoning from it but it did not live up to expectations.

Given the time of day (in between meals), my wife and I chose to share a soup and ordered from the light menu. The soup was a clam chowder. I was expecting a rich flavour but it could have been from a tin can in a supermarket - I wouldn't have known the difference.

One of the light menus consisted of three (yes three) scallops served in a half oyster shell. The other was a grilled white fish. It was all good enough in taste, but again, hardly anything that demonstrates a restaurant with such high standing awards or customer reviews. Worse, was in the portion sizes.

They were fairly busy but not *that* busy. The service staff were not on the ball and quite slow to take and deliver orders, and to present the bill.

I firmly believe that a restaurant can only ever justify high prices if what is provided is high quality food of exceptional flavour. This restaurant has priced themselves in a relative high tier but does not deliver in quality (or, for that matter, quantity).

Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

We ate here on our first night in St Ives and we were really impressed.

We were welcomed warmly on arrival and quickly seated in the restaurant area. Although not next to the window I had still had a great view of the sea, my husband was seated facing the opposite way and said that some mirrors on the wall would be great as then he could have a sea view as well.

The mackeral starter was wonderful and my husband had squid which he said was perfectly cooked.

I had Brill to follow which I really enjoyed apart from a strange rectangle of yellow stuff with a parmasen crisp stuck in it. It tasted of absolutely nothing and I'm not sure why it was on the plate.

My husband had John Dory with crab fishcakes which he said was very good.

I had an amazing dessert which was loosely based on a creme brulee, a sort of chocolate brownie/mousse with a caramilised topping, milk sorbet and mint honeycomb. My husband had a banana dessert which came with pistachio sponge, meringue and toffee. He liked all the bits and pieces but said the bananas were pretty much just cold lumps of fruit although they were supposed to be caramilsed.

Wine list was varied and we went for a glass of local sparkling rosé to start and then a bottle of Camel Valley white.

The bill came to £116 which I thought was reasonable.

The atmosphere was warm and friendly and the service was excellent. We definitely plan to return for another meal.

Reviewed May 9, 2014

A really interesting menu. The food was brilliant and extremely well presented. A great atmosphere would love to return here.

1  Thank NickyandPaul2014