“heaven on a plate”

Porthminster Beach Cafe
Ranked #17 of 143 Restaurants in St Ives
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Large groups, Families with children, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Sorry for any inconvenience but we are closed on Christmas Day
Worcester, United Kingdom
“heaven on a plate”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Porthminster beach cafe is the restaurant visit I look forward to all year during our annual visit to st ives. There can be no better place to sit than on the terrace overlooking the beach and drinking in the sunset over the town, as well as the excellent locally sourced wine. A slight chill to the air didn't daunt us as the overhead heaters were perfect, and stylish blankets for our knees meant we were completely snug. The staff were wonderful, as attentive to our daughter as to us, and this year we were pleased to see a separate vegetarian menu.
My husband enjoyed a thai fish curry, whilst I opted for the goats cheese tart, which was unlike any I had ever had both in texture and creativity. Puddings were sublime. I didn't want to eat or drink for the rest of the day, because I felt I had truly feasted. Wonderful

Good to book ahead

Watford, United Kingdom
“Mixed experience”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I was surprised by how disappointed I was with our visit to the Porthminster restaurant following all the strong reviews.

My starter of crispy prawns with chilli sauce was a bit bland and the veggie options for my partner were not that inspiring. That said my main dish, the monkfish curry was excellent and is a must if you do go. The cheese was also very good too.

Staff we're very helpful and friendly but we did have a very long wait for our main course which meant we were a bit rushed at the end as we had to catch a train..even though we were sat down for over 2 hours. Overall a bit of a shame.

wilts
“Excellent service and monkfish curry”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

This place was recommended to me and I was told to try the monkfish curry. It was amazing! Staff were also lovely and seemed genuine rather than scripted. The view was beautiful. Would love to go again.

Devon, England
“WOW!”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

This has got to be one of the best fish restaurants I've eaten in. There are other choices on the menu but if you're sitting in a beach restaurant in a famous fishing town then steak should not be considered. This was the first time I'd eaten pork cheeks and served with crispy monkfish they were heavenly. My main was pan roasted Cornish hake with a black pudding crust. The presentation was fine dining but the portion sizes didn't disappoint. The staff are friendly and helpful with good knowledge of the food they're serving. The atmosphere was relaxed and casual but you wouldn't feel uncomfortable smartly dressed for a special occasion. We'd booked a window table some time before our visit and the view across the bay was worth the early booking.

“Excellent breakfast!”
Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here for breakfast and loved it! Perfect poached eggs, delicious granola with fruit & yogurt and good coffee. Great location, right on the beach with a wonderful view. Highly recommend this place!

Visited September 2013