“Not somewhere I want to publicise.........”

Porthminster Beach Cafe
Ranked #16 of 152 Restaurants in St Ives
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Sorry for any inconvenience but we are closed on Christmas Day
Reviewed January 23, 2013

..........simply because it might make it difficult for me to get a booking when I go back for the third year this coming summer. This is my favourite restaurant in the UK. The food has always been excellent - inventive use of local produce. Service is first class - the energy and attentiveness of the staff paradoxically creates a relaxed environment for the diners. The setting is superb - we've eaten inside and out in sunshine and rain. An ever changing backdrop adds to the experience.

2  Thank alan m
Write a ReviewReviews (2,688)

Reviewed January 17, 2013

This is a place that the locals know about and recommend - so I decided to give it a try.
Being from Australia, I noticed the Indonesian Monkfish curry. I thought: that is a risky choice, what is a restaurant in St Ives Cornwall really going to know about Indonesian food? I decided to go with it as I do love monkfish.
The curry was one of the most delicate, balanced, fresh and authentic examples of the regional cuisine that I have ever had, and I am a very frequent traveller to that area.
It is a pity that we don't have more restaurants like this in Western Australia!

1  Thank here369
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We had dinner here on NYE 2012/3. The food was generally great although the portions of rillettes for the amuse bouche were measly for five adults. I had the seafood curry as a main and it was just the right combination of rich, spicy and tasty. The sticky pork belly starter was amazing. However I am afraid to say that the service was very poor. We repeatedly had to remind the waitress of our orders and she hardly cracked a smile the whole evening. One of our party ordered cheese and she didn't tell him he had to serve himself at a separate table. One of the things you expect when paying these kinds of prices for good food is friendly, attentive service... and we didn't get it. A little disappointing but not enough to ruin an otherwise excellent evening.

1  Thank Johnson_Toby
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We had lunch here on New Years Eve and it was really special. Although I reserved a table, I didnt specifically request a window table so was delighted when we were shown to what I think is the best table in the house (table 16 or 18 I think for anyone who wants to know!). Its our second visit and we will definately be back again.

Its great for the family (we are a family of 4 with 2 boys aged 7 & 9) and we all enjoyed fantastic food, great wine (and diet coke for the boys!) and a truly great atmosphere. The service was attentive without being intrusive and we thoroughly enjoyed our visit.

I had scallops starter (absolutely delicious) and John Dory special (yummy), my hubbie had Sticky Pork Belly (which he said was fantastic) and the infamous Portminster Fish & Chips. The Boys both had Fish & Chips and all 3 demolished them!

A previous reveiwer mentioned the 'deconstructed' Apple Crumble - I had that and thought it was scrummy - think it was clotted cream on mine, but could be wrong!!

All in all it set us up brilliantly for a crazy new years eve in St Ives - one we will remember for a long time. Thanks Portminster Beach Cafe - we will be back.

2  Thank JoHill03
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Wow, what can I say about this restaurant - it's fantastic. The quality of the food, the menu and the location make it really special. It is also really relaxing - we went for lunch with the family and had an evening meal there with friends and both were perfect.

1  Thank tcmurphy248