“We love the Porthminster Beach Cafe”

Porthminster Beach Cafe
Ranked #17 of 151 Restaurants in St Ives
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Sorry for any inconvenience but we are closed on Christmas Day
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We had lunch here on New Years Eve and it was really special. Although I reserved a table, I didnt specifically request a window table so was delighted when we were shown to what I think is the best table in the house (table 16 or 18 I think for anyone who wants to know!). Its our second visit and we will definately be back again.

Its great for the family (we are a family of 4 with 2 boys aged 7 & 9) and we all enjoyed fantastic food, great wine (and diet coke for the boys!) and a truly great atmosphere. The service was attentive without being intrusive and we thoroughly enjoyed our visit.

I had scallops starter (absolutely delicious) and John Dory special (yummy), my hubbie had Sticky Pork Belly (which he said was fantastic) and the infamous Portminster Fish & Chips. The Boys both had Fish & Chips and all 3 demolished them!

A previous reveiwer mentioned the 'deconstructed' Apple Crumble - I had that and thought it was scrummy - think it was clotted cream on mine, but could be wrong!!

All in all it set us up brilliantly for a crazy new years eve in St Ives - one we will remember for a long time. Thanks Portminster Beach Cafe - we will be back.

2  Thank JoHill03

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Wow, what can I say about this restaurant - it's fantastic. The quality of the food, the menu and the location make it really special. It is also really relaxing - we went for lunch with the family and had an evening meal there with friends and both were perfect.

1  Thank tcmurphy248
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Wow,what can I say about this restaurant. It's fantastic. The quality of the food, the amazing menu and the beach side location make it a really special. It's also has a really relaxed atmosphere. Loved it!

Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant has the most beautiful views and fantastic food. It's really special and my favourite place to eat in the whole world!

1  Thank AngelicJen
Reviewed January 4, 2013

It’s hard not to be seduced by the glorious setting, overlooking Porthminster beach, and stylish appearance, white washed walls, colourful abstract art and a vaguely are deco appearance, of the Porthminster Beach café. Coupled with friendly & attentive service and a buzzy vibe what’s not to like? Well the food for a start is distinctly strange. You might call the style Oz/Asian fusion. The chefs seem determined to include as many obscure ingredients as possible in to their dishes: yuzu, ponzu & sumac anyone? Oh, and a lot of the food comes ‘deconstructed’ in Kilner jars.
To start, the parsnip soup (complete with a variety of obscure spices) had a beautiful texture but was very sweet – too sweet in fact. And the garlic bread with ‘roasted garlic, Cornish butter and herbs’, was fairly bog standard garlic bread. The specials menu included a pulled pork pie with a soft top. Intrigued (a pie with a soft top?) I chose. Poor choice. The ‘pie’ came in a Kilner jar and consisted of tiny pieces of apparently randomly thrown together ingredients (including pork, chorizo, artichoke and lentils at the last count). The ‘soft top’ was some type of unappealing, grey looking foam. The whole dish was bizarre in concept, random in execution and verged on the unpleasant. The only ‘pie’ I have ever had which contained no pastry whatsoever. This is not a good thing, the textures and taste were completely wrong.
Having strayed too far on the side of experimentation I returned to what I thought was safe ground with the pud and opted for apple crumble. Unfortunately, this was ‘Porthminster Beach Café apple crumble’. It came in a Kilner jar. The crumble topping was the house style mix of exotic nuts and spices which managed to taste of nothing more than breakfast muesli. The accompanying chamomile ice cream once again had great texture but little taste and was presented in the opened lid of the Kilner jar which made it very difficult to eat. The crème fraiche was excellent.
To be fair, the restaurant is primarily a seafood restaurant and I didn’t choose anything fishy. The people on the next table had fish & chips and a seafood stew both of which looked excellent. So perhaps the message is to stick to the fishy classics and avoid the fusion food? Would I go again? Yes, for the setting and the vibe - but not necessarily for the food.

4  Thank NonPearson