“Possibly the best restaurant in St. Ives, even Cornwall”

Porthminster Beach Cafe
Ranked #17 of 148 Restaurants in St Ives
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Sorry for any inconvenience but we are closed on Christmas Day
Nottingham, England
“Possibly the best restaurant in St. Ives, even Cornwall”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I'll keep it simple - gorgeous, inventive food, a great wine list, friendly & efficient service, amazing location overlooking the beach. Book well ahead & get a table outside (enclosed & heated in cooler weather).

Visited September 2012

“Excellent food - beautifull setting !”
Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

We have just had the pleasure of a wonderful lunch at the Porthminster Beach Cafe . We booked on line and got a swift confirmation back with a reference number and a direct email contact address should we need to contact them . I thought it was worth a quick email to them just seeing if there was any chance of a sea view table but more importantly as my wife was diabetic if they could suggest anything for her desert other than the same old cheese and crackers that she is normally offered at many other restaurants. We got a further e mail back confirming a sea view table and offering to prepare a fresh fruit platter with Autumn fruits with clotted cream which my wife was quick to accept.
We arrived at 12:30 prompt and am so glad we booked as the resteraunt was fully booked - we where greeted at the door and shown to our table overlooking the lovely beach. My son started with the crispy belly pork and my wife with the curried pumpkin soup both they thoroughly enjoyed - I was saving room for deserts ! For the main - 2 of us had the fish and chips - the batter on the fish was so light - it was fabulous - my wife had the mackeral with indian spices and roasted new potatoes - which she assures me was very moist and full of flavour - my younger son had the children's spaghetti - it wasn't a big bowl but did him fine. For our desserts 2 of us had apple crumble - which I could definitely recommend , and my wife had her Autumn berries platter ( which some had been picked from the small garden behind the restaurant that morning we were told - doesn't come fresher than that ! ) and she loved it - my eldest son had the petit fours which came on a very unusual tree like stand with the petit fours spiked on the end of cocktail sticks - different yes - enjoyable not really - didnt seem a lot for the money - and what there was was either very sweet or very sharp but I guess everyone's tastes are different. Overall then - the food is of a very high standard and beautifully presented - the setting of the resteraunt is also lovely and the staff very polite and helpful - the only down side is the price really - for a lunch it is quite expensive - so make sure you check the prices before going in - if you are ok with the cost then you will not be disappointed with the food - we have been here several times and not had a bad meal ever - what more can I say - most certainly worth the 5 stars.

Leeds, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great restaurant!”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

The food was delicious (I had the monkfish curry and would definitely recommend it) and the service was excellent. Book the window seat, especially in the summer, if you can.

• Visited October 2012
Shipley, United Kingdom
“Great food , great views”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We always visit Porthminster Beach cafe on our visits to St Ives, the food is excellent the views breathtaking and the service quick and efficient. It is advisable to book as the cafe gets very busy but worth the effort, I have booked on line for our previous visits but took the chance of turning up on our visit last week and we were in luck. Would recommend the Fish & Chips excelelnt

Visited October 2012
Somerset
“A very pleasurable experience”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

What a wonderful find with the added bonus of being walkable from our hotel.
Lovely ambience in a perfect setting on the beach. The food was excellent, very creative, and we were unable to fault anything - certainly fine dining at its best. The staff were very attentive and added to the relaxed atmosphere of the restaurant.
Certainly a must do for our next visit to St Ives.

• Visited September 2012