“Fantastic B & B - I'll be back with family”
Review of Chy an Gwedhen

Chy an Gwedhen
Ranked #15 of 102 St Ives B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 7, 2011

I stayed at the Chyan Gwedhen for two nights. I was going to a family wedding at the Tregenna Castle Hotel which is just up the road, within walking distance, though the owners offered to drive me there.
The B & B is absolutely spotless, furnished to a high and modern standard. The food is EXCELLENT and of a very high quality which is what I am used to but often this is not achieved outside the home. The host and hostess could not do enough for me. The tables were beautifully laid, tablecloths and good crockery. The view from my bedroom window was over Carbis Bay and I could see the sea sparkling in the distance. The king sized bedded bedroom above mine had the most superb sea view.
The best B & B I have ever stayed in. There is plenty to do and see in this area. Well done, Chyan Gwedhen!

Room Tip: There is a double room with king-sized bed on the top floor - lovely room with superb view over Carb...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed July 5, 2011

From the reviews and rating of this B & B we expected better. True - the hosts were very pleasant but they do seem to be stuck in the 70s especially with regards breakfast. Weirdly we had to choose our breakfast items the night before when we obviously had no idea what we would fancy the next day. Then a wee bowl of whatever was placed in front - portion allocated in the kitchen! The exact number of slices of toasts wanted was needed and the coffee was dishwater weak til we asked for stronger. No fresh fruit was available - surely a must in the middle of summer? The table in the hotel photo was ours - with a view of the main road and passers by looking in!

Having got that off my chest - the room was quite modern and well cleaned but small and being on the ground floor did not have a very good sea view. The towels were also far too small for a normal size body!

Our hosts were obviously worn out and did their best and they have our sympathies that they cannot enjoy their beautiful area as we did - it must be frustrating but normal for people providing this service. This B & B does not really deserve a 4* rating and was a little overpriced and we felt it only right to balance the previous reviews.

Room Tip: Not worthy of 4* rating
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Samwidges
Management response:Responded July 9, 2011

Well, as can be seen by all our other guests, we do have a very high standard, of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but as an example,...weak coffee...we use a high quality coffee, if it is to weak or strong the first morning we change it ,or do it to suit the next day, no problem! Our breakfast menu has a very good choice, and if anyone requests anything different , we are only to pleased to try and get it for them, and no one has ever complained about filling in the menu the night before, it is pointed out , that if this is not acceptable , again ,,no problem..as for towels, again ,standard bath and hand towels ,
This is the first time we have ever had any complaints, but hope any guests with any problems would be good enough to come to us at the time ,and we would happily try and resolve the problem.

Maybe you just cannot please all of the people all of the time!!! although we do try !!

Reviewed June 24, 2011

As soon as my wife and I walked through the doors of Chy an Gwedhen, we were received with a very warm welcome from Gill and Mike. They offered us tea straight away, even though they had a lovely welcome tray in each room. We had requested for a room with a sea view and what a view it was, indeed! The room was spotlessly clean and well laid out. The en-suite bathroom was spacious and clean. The location of the B&B was good. It was only about 10-15 min walk to the town centre through a lovely coastal path just behind the B&B.
Mike was always very helpful in suggesting suitable places to visit in Cornwall, even though the rains tampered it all.The breakfast was absolutely wonderful and they were really sweet to serve my wife with all that she wanted.The freshly baked croissants were an absolute delight to our taste buds.The haddock is also highly recommended.
Overall, we had a really good stay and the hosts were even better!! Would stay here anytime I would visit Cornwall!!

Room Tip: Ask for the room with a view!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2011

The rooms are spotless and tastefully decorated.Gill and Mike are friendly and provide excellent service.The breakfast menu provides plenty of choice and the food is nicely cooked and presented.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Central for exploring wonderful Cornish coastline, with easy access to all areas wether by foot, car, bus or rail. A lovely area, a warm and friendly b and b. Clean and tidy, we were made to feel very welcome and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Would definitely go back!

Room Tip: book early
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2011

I hope that I am able to convey what a wonderful place this is, and in particular what fabulous hosts Jill and Mike are. After a long journey I was greeted with a warm welcome and a pot of tea ( even though there are tea making facilities in the room).
I was in Cornwall partly as a tourist but mostly to help our daughter who has been offered a job in Cornwall find accomodation. Mike and Jill couldn't have been more helpful with advice and support and suggestions. I can't imagine that many owners would have taken such a genuine interest in my mission and offered so much help.
The room was clean, fresh and had everything I needed.
Breakfasts were great with a really good choice.
Other plus points are the parking, the fact that you can walk to St Ives and Carbis Bay, and that you're on the main road out of St Ives if you're going out for the day.
I ould certainly recommend the Chy and Gwedhen - look no further.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ElsieGeorge
Reviewed May 4, 2011

This B&B was excellent, the hosts couldn't do enough for us. The breakfast was big with loads of choice and extremely tasty. The room had everything you needed and more, they really have thought of everything. Even the taxi driver who dropped us off in the evening was telling us how lovely the place and people were and he wasn't wrong. Thanks for a wonderful stay Chy an Gwedhen!

• Stayed: April 2011