“Absolutely A1”
Review of Ten Ocean View

Ten Ocean View
Ranked #35 of 102 St Ives B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 14, 2009

If you want a hotel that's ranked 5-star in terms of - cleanliness, location, rooms, service, value - go no further. This is the real thing! Mike & Gill - thanks so much for creating a home away from home for my spouse and me, especially when we come so far away from Thailand!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 2, 2009

When we first arrived in St Ives, we were lost in the town centre unable to locate Ten Ocean View, having forgotten our map. I rang them on my mobile and a lovely man, Mike, talked me (over the phone) through the directions, and we arrived there successfully, Mike standing outside still holding his mobile, and me still talking to him on mine. The minute I saw his kind, welcoming face, I knew we were in for a special holiday.
The B & B is located on one of St Ives' many hills, overlooking the beautiful blonde beach, Porthmeor, and the beautiful ocean, in which surfers were hunting for waves; from our great height, they looked so tiny, like bobbing seals. (There actually are seals in the ocean, and Gill told me they were regulars, almost a part of the place!)
Mike and Gill, the hosts, made us feel welcome immediately, with a nice hot pot of tea. As we chatted, I learned that prior to establishing Ten Ocean View, Mike had been a baker of thirty years. That was when I knew the breakfasts were going to be a bit special. And so it proved. The range of breakfast was comprehensive; full English breakfast (which in Mike's hands was exquisite, piping hot and absolutely delicious. I swear Mike cooks the perfect fried egg, tender with huge soft orange yolks.) There was also porridge, scrambled egg and smoked salmon, bacon and mushroom toastie and much more. The informality of the place meant you could have any item of food in any combination. There were fresh towels every day and the en suite shower was divine.
Gill is a lovely person, and at breakfast, she shared tips and advice about the area. Mike also gave us excellent recommendations, particularly Sennen's Cove with its beautiful beach and magnificent waves. Gill told us about an excellent fishmonger (ironically at the top of Fish Street!) and we ordered a wonderful fish, Pollock, which she very kindly kept in the freezer until our departure. Ridiculously enough, since I have returned to London, I have ascertained that one of the bigger supermarkets is going to rechristen 'pollock' with another name because it sounds naughty and people are too shy to ask for it! Ahem, yes well.
Gill and Mike anticipated our every need. They were kind, helpful and informative, and they made us feel so welcome. However, they were never 'in our face', to use a horrible expression, but it felt warm and safe knowing they were at hand. We had our own key and could come and go as we pleased. It was like a home from home, and they were like the best mum and dad ever. The best bit for me was when, at the end of our stay, we said goodbye to them and they both threw their arms around me and gave me a loving hug. After years cooped up in London, I felt human again, simply because of the warmth and comfort they lavished on us. I asked Gill if she would adopt me so I could live there all the time. This was not feasible, so instead, Paul and I are going to get down there as often as we can. One of the best holidays of my life.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 1, 2009

Gill and Michael bowled me over with their welcoming manner and their friendly and helpful nature. From the moment i stepped inside the property, i felt at home and didn't want to go back!
I would definitely recommend this guesthouse. The food is delicious, the views are stunning, the rooms are very clean and nothing is too much trouble for the owners.
There is so much more i want to say, but what i will say is, try it and see. YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed November 16, 2009

When it comes to bed and breakfast it's hard to fault our stay here.

Provided with clear directions through the potential maze that is St Ives town centre we easily made our way to Ocean View Terrace where we were warmly welcomed by Gill and Mike. Although we'd ended up with one of the non-sea view rooms we had a hugely comfortable bed and room to settle in to.

And after a night in town, the next morning (as on all the other mornings of our three night stay) we were greeted to a fantastic breakfast that offered plenty of choice from home made breads and cakes, fry ups, cereals and more, and, especially if you were up early enough to make to it to the window-side table, a stunning view across Porthmeor beach to accompany it all.

Believe all the other reviews on here - as long as you can make it back up the steep hill from the town centre this is a fantastic place to stay.

Reviewed November 1, 2009

Was very pleased to find that 10 Ocean View lived up to all its good reviews. The room was lovely, clean and contempory. Breakfast was fab, truly delicious with amazing views. Mike and Gill were great hosts. Parking was a real bonus. 10/10!!

Reviewed October 23, 2009

The owners, Gill and Mike are great hosts. They are extremely warm and welcoming and nothing is too much trouble for them.
Our room, as well as the rest of the guesthouse was spotless and very well presented. The bed was so comfy I had trouble getting out of it, however, was helped by the amazing breakfast smells coming from the kitchen. There was plenty of choice for breakfast and we definitely didn’t go hungry. The cooked breakfasts are delicious and the daily homemade bread and cakes plus homemade jam are also well worth a try.
Ocean View is perfectly located, has great views and you are no more than 5 minutes away from beautiful beaches, great walks, restaurants and lots of shops. They also have plenty of parking so you don’t have to worry about your car and also a lovely garden, again with exception views.
It is all these little touches (did I forget to mention the Molton Brown in the bathroom!!) that makes Ocean View stand out from the other guesthouses we have stayed in and I wouldn’t hesitate in recommending it to anyone. Can’t wait to go back!!

Reviewed October 18, 2009

We selected this B&B because of the reviews and were delighted that we did. Mike and Jill are exceptionally welcoming hosts and have created a superb small business. The rooms are spotless and the beds really comfortable. The breakfasts are excellent with superb views from the dining room. An added bonus is the daily supply of home baked breads and cakes which you are encouraged to take with you for day-time snacks - a hit with my wife. Good location, provided you do not mind the short steep hill, and the parking is a real plus.
Would definitely recommend for couples/adults. Not so sure about families.