“Holidays from Hell -John Fowler ST IVES”

St. Ives Holiday Village
Ranked #20 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Birmingham
“Holidays from Hell -John Fowler ST IVES”
Reviewed May 28, 2009

We stayed here for a week May 18th,the weather was great and we were looking forward to our holiday,having been recently made redundant I needed a break.What a mistake coming here!! We arrived late Monday and went to the club house to collect the keys but how do you get in ? The door said fire exit only and we did not see the enterance round the side so followed the music.It was late we got the keys and decided to take a pizza back as didn't want to cook - the pizza was not fit for my dog to eat and the smell of the cheese just made me want to heave - it went in the bin.On entering the cabin all you could smell was smoke it was discusting the whole place was impregnated with it,the shower still had loads of hair left in the plug and we wouldn't sit on the settee as it was so stained.There was another chair but with a dead spider dangling from the arm.We sat on two of the chairs (with towels on).The linen was clean but with the big hole in the side of the bed didn't know what I was letting myself infor.The kitchen was basic - the bread knife came with FREE ingrained moldly bread and wouldn't cook with the crocks.Never went in the pool as seemed like a gaint toliet,saw some of the entertainment the first night but don't bother.I can't believe places like this still exist in Britain - I could not put my feet on the floor it was that dirty.We left and stayed at a lovely B and B in Bournemouth.Its a sham its a good location and has protential to be a lovely centre parcs type place but until them don't bother its FOWLER BY NAME AND FOWLERRR BY NATURE..............................

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank KJSBirmingham

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Greek first
Devon England
Reviewed May 18, 2009

Booked this accomadation with sun holidays had great accomation on previous bookings with them. This was the worst chalet i have ever seen. Would not have left my dog there to stay. Beds and furnishings disgraceful. Smelt musty and old back to the fifties i would think. Never ever will i trust with out looking at these reveiws again. Do not go better in prison accomadation.This is Bronze Chalet St Ives Holiday Village.We went home.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank Taylormade6t

Travelers are raving about these St Ives hotels

Hertfordshire
Reviewed April 12, 2009

We booked this holiday based on the fact that it was cheap and seemed good value for money. Being an area of England that we'd not previously explored, we wanted to stay somewhere we could use as a base and find out more about Cornwall. We travelled with 3 small boys ages 4, 6 and 10 and the younger 2 are already begging to go back next year! I can totally agree with previous reports on here about the place being rather shabby and in need of care and attention, but this is NOT 5* accomodation and I think you get what you pay for. The 3 guys (Matt, Jake and Kylie) running the entertainment were great with the kids and put a lot of effort into keeping them entertained and impressed us by knowing all their names after just a day or 2. The public areas like the swimming pool and the bar area do look like they're in need of modernising, but for us they served the purpose.
We didn't check trip advisor until after we'd booked and were rather disappointed at some of the reviews and so turned up at the site armed with air fresheners and febrese. We were very pleasently surpprised (I think we were actually quite lucky). Our chalet (Gold Woodland) had no damp, was spotlessly clean and the kitchen was well equipped. Yes . . the living accomodation was rather cramped for 5 but only as we would expect. Friends of ours travelling at the same time spent twice as much for a Woodland Villa and were disappointed by damp and apart from the extra space it didn't offer much else.
I think that basically, you get what you pay for unless you are very unlucky, and would travel to this park again but would only go gold standard to get the newer chalet. It's set in lovely surroundings, plenty of space, woodland and close to lots of places of interest.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Crewe
Reviewed October 1, 2008

I read the reviews about the St. Ives Holiday Village after booking to go there for a long weekend with the wife (tip - check on trip advisor before booking anything!) From the reviews it looked like I might be in need of some brownie points so booked the Old Coastguard in Mousehole for the last night in case it was as bad as it seemed from the reports.

I wouldn't say the reports are inaccurate but they don't seem to take account of what is being paid for this accommodation. Generally If you go for low cost I think you need to set your expectations low and if they are surpassed then it's a bonus.

This accommodation would have worked out at about £5 per person per night if there had been 4 of us (as there could have been). For that you get a decent shower clean bed linen, power, heat and a TV - beats camping in my book.

Yes the chalets are a bit smelly, the furniture worn, you don't get a remote for the TV and the carpets a bit stained but they are fundamentally clean and OK if you are only sleeping in them. This is of course a bloke's view - my wife wasn't at all keen and we ended up only staying one night and booked a Premier Inn for the other.

The staff on reception were very helpful but the fact is that these wooden chalets are probably 40 years old and very tired. The shame of it is that this place could be really nice if they invested in it. The location and setting are great but it cries out for new log cabins or something similar.

Instead they seem to have sweated this particular asset to the limit and it gets bad and slightly unfair (in my view) press.

I would imagine kids would have a great time here and would see past the limitations.

Couldn't really recommend but I do have a soft spot for places like this as they remind me of long distant holidays from when I was a kid before the era of cheap foreign holidays!

• Liked — Good Location, price
  • Disliked — Long past it's sell by date
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank johnroblee
Kent
Reviewed September 22, 2008

We arrived at the John Fowler Holiday Village near St Ives on Monday 15th Sept. The Woodland Silver Chalet that we booked was nothing like the pictures on the brochure and as we walked in were hit by a damp odour which wasn't only our chalet gathering from what other guests had informed me. "There's no point complaining - all they're offering is a full refund" I was told by other guests and with a 335mile trip back to Kent and very upset children as the alternative I thought I'd grin and bear it.

The bathroom is shockingly cramped. I resorted to using the swimming pool showers to wash as I could not fit in the bath designed for a leprechaun (and I'm not above average size for a male!)

The first night we arrived we went to the on site restaurant for a meal and after we had ordered off the very limited menu were presented with our meals in polystyrene take-away boxes with plastic cutlery. (Restaurant prices with Kebab Shop service!). Needless to say we ate out off site for the rest of the week.

I would not return to this site unless it was drastically updated. It seems half of the chalets are rotten and need replacing and I will be checking this site next time before I book my holiday!!!

• Liked — The Kitchen was well eqipped.
  • Disliked — The damp smell, the uncomfortable sofa and the size of the bath.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Garthy123
Leeds, UK
Reviewed September 16, 2008

AWFUL!!! AWFUL!!! AWFUL!!! Worse John Fowler i have stayed at and read reviews on.

Upon arrival the setting looked very nice, up a little country road past some horse stables, we turned into the site and the shop, the pub, swimming pool, outside chldrens play ground all looked fairly modern.

We waited over 2 hours longer for our keys than we should of done once we got our keys and went to the Bronze Chalet (described in brochure as a less than 3 year old modern chalet) we got into the chalet and there was dirty plates on the draining board and a musty, damp smell filling the air and a very damp sofa bed. I went back to reception and demanded to see the manager i complained about the dirty plates and the awful smell, she immediately asked if i would like to swap to a Silver Chalet, to which I agreed to check out 2 chalets and say whether we would swap, the 1st one I looked at was no different to the Bronze Chalet, the second one was not as damp but still had a funny smell but at least it wasnt damp, so we agreed to swap to the 2nd one. After a couple of days we had to but Febreze to spray our clothes before we wore them due to the smell. Luckily we had a car and didnt have to stay on the site, otherwise i dont know how we would have coped.

I could of been saved from that holiday if i had of known about this site, i hope this helps and I would reccommend Tolroy Manor, Hayle this is another John Fowler Site but has brick built accommodation rather than wood, please feel free to look at my review on that site

• Liked — The Location
  • Disliked — Everything else, the staff were ok though
  • Stayed September 2004, traveled with family
1 Thank Phaz1987
uk
Reviewed August 20, 2008

As a family we allways look forward to our holidays we were looking forward to a relaxing stay in a gold standard chalet set in woods. Upon arrival to the John Fowler camp alarm bells started to ring almost immediatley, we walked into a dated reception area and club house and all it's surroundings were looking very tired, to be honest it needs a total rebuild, anyway we looked at each other thinking oh well at least the accomadation can't be that bad, oh boy! were we wrong... Once we found our so called GOLD! chalet we found firstly there were two other chalets that shared our parking and these bays were already occupied so we had to park near the reception car park and route march our cases back from the parking area through the park as you could not park on the road by the chalet to unload as the road s were to narrow. Walking upto our chalet we noticed the door was already open and the chalet had been left to the ellements, although the chalet door was alrady open the first thing that hit's you is the damp smell of the accomadation 'maybe the door had been left open on purpose?' the furniture looked like something from the early 70's and very uncomfortable, checking the beds to be fair all linen was clean and the bathroom area also, however the light above the entance of the bathroom was hanging off the wall, the lights above the bed rooms did't work at all, and to top it all we had a very small tv to contend with that hardly worked as the reception for the signal was very bad. We also had a look around the camp to look at the possibility of upgrading however upon our own investigations all the accomadation blocks looked the same damp, dreary, and univiting all with the 70's style furniture to greet you.

My Advice is if you want a hassle free holiday with beautiful surroundings, fantastic site facilities then DON'T ,DON'T come here it's really horrble the worst holiday i've ever been on as we booked for the week and lasted just 1 night it was that poor! you've been warned!!! John Fowler shame on you if more people vote with their feet and avoid this place hopefully you will be forced to tear it all down and start again.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank lagerlewi