“Typical John Fowler holiday park”

St. Ives Holiday Village
Ranked #23 of 30 Specialty Lodging in St Ives
Reviewed July 20, 2013

It's is our third John fowler park, as my father (who we travel with) seems to like them for some reason. Myself and my wife on the other hand are not so keen.
First the good bits:
The location of the park is lovely, set In glorious woodland, it's close to Hayle, Carbis bay and st Ives, and there is a regular bus that comes into the park for st Ives,. All the staff were friendly, helpful and always had a smile, The reception area, clubhouse, and restaurant are nice areas to be, clean, well maintained, and the food was lovely. Also the shop had long opening times and was well stocked
The bad bits:
Basically, the chalet.
Very very outdated, I have seen a comment on here that the chalets are all being demolished and replaced, however I didn't see any evidence of this as I walked around the park.
The smell as you walk in, very fusty, and this smell never left for the whole week we were there, no matter what we did.
There were plenty of cobwebs hanging about in most corners.
My wife, twice had a shower with a slug, (not me, lol),
The mattresses were very firm (which was ok with me, I like a firm mattress)' however what I don't like about any John Fowler park is the plastic covered mattresses, I did manage to overcome this, by placing the spare quilt between the mattress and the sheet, and the John Fowler bedding, well!! Lets just say its not the nicest of designs, lol, but although clean, it would be nice if it was washed in a decent wash powder and fabric conditioner to at least give it a nice smell.
If there was any problems, once reported the maintenance crew were quick to arrive, however a blocked drain outside our door was looked at in our absence, but seemed to get rectified, which caused a smell, (chalet 92), I will add photos to back up my review ASAP.
So basically, if they do as they're saying and demolish the chalets, to replace with new ones, it will be a lovely place to stay, lol, until then, it's ok if your on a £9.50 sun holiday, but if your paying normal rates like my father did, I'd wait!!!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Bigrobbo65
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at our holiday park.

Many of the older chalets are being demolished and replaced with fantastic new lodges. 5 have appeared in the past couple of months and we have just obtained planning permission for a further 36. As you will appreciate, such a massive investment does not happen overnight.

Perhaps you could come back and see us when this transformation has been completed.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,022)

Reviewed July 19, 2013

we have just returned from a stay in a budget chalet and feel that we should leave this review in order to honestly advise anybody that is thinking of staying in something similar.On arrival we were greeted by friendly staff and quickly given the keys to our home for the week.We tried to keep an open mind as we understood that some chalets were due for upgrading despite overhearing a nice young couple with a baby who had just booked in themselves complaining about there damp,smelly and mouldy chalet that was crawling with wood lice,i dont know what happened to them as we quicly left.The outside of our chalet reminded me of an old garden shed i had knocked down when i bought my house,exept that my shed was in much better condition.On entering we were greeted by a musty smell and very tatty,worn out fittings in the kitchen,mouldy and even more tatty wall and floor covering in the bathroom and a dirty,worn out mattress and bed in the bedroom that could not be slept on as it was all the springs were only covered by a material cover,the padding being long gone.The chalet was truly awful although reasonably clean apart from all the windows which were not.Also it did not help when you could clearly see a mouse bait station beside the fridge.
We are not over fussy people but having looked forward to a holiday in cornwall after working hard all year we genuinely felt that the accommodation offered was not upto standard,particularly because we took into account when booking the fact that the chalets were earmarked for an upgrade but more importantly we looked on the JFH website at an image of a typical budget unit on this site which in no way resembles what we were given so we went back to the reception to see if something better was available.
On arrival at reception we had to wait behind others who were all complaining, one lady had paid extra when she booked for a silver chalet and was not happy to have been put in a budget, when the staff checked her chalet number they informed her that she was actually in a silver but she was most unhappy with this,we heard her say that she could not sleep in that chalet and went off to fetch her husband.Another complaint we could not help but overhear was made by two young couples who had refused the chalet they were given on the grounds of it being uninhabitable by decent people and were allocated a better unit, the young man told me that his wife who was expecting and his friends wife point blank refused to stay in either chalet but the staff were unable to offer them anything else,they were visibly upset after looking forward to there holiday and having a 7 hour car journey and it being 5 pm on a monday night they made the decision to take there chances looking elsewhere for accomodation and left.
We explained to the staff that we were not happy with our chalet and were offered the only other available, it did not do much for our holiday spirit as it was the one that the young couples had just refused.We sat outside reception for over an hour and a half and rang any accomodation we could find on our mobile but could not find something in the area,this was a problem for us as we had only booked on the basis that we wanted to stay at St Ives.We went back into reception and let them know that we were most unhappy but would stay in the second one offered to us and this decision was purely because the matress was not as bad but the chalet was still awfull, we even asked for a better mattress for the first chalet but one could not be found.in the hour and a half we were sat outside our first chalet had been given to a couple who had complained about the one that they had been given but during that time the park had taken the single mattresses from the twin room and this couple had children with them.
I wont go on but you get the idea,this is certainly not what decent people who go on holiday expect to find when they carry there cases into there accommodation. It is not fair when the british holiday industry is struggling that operators like this are prepared to accomodate holidaymakers in these awful,smelly units.
I mentioned before that we are not over fussy and we are genuinely not,We spent our time there eating out and in this chalet only to sleep.
Please do your homework before you stay on this horrible place as i would not want anybody else to have a ruined holiday like the one we have just had.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank petermary s
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

It was such a shame to read your remarks regarding your stay at our holiday park. There are a number of serious items in your review that need to be investigated.

It is always so difficult to deal with the issues after you have returned home, however, I will be contacting through the Tripadvisor messaging service to discover precisely where you where staying and see what we can do to help.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I read many reviews before I went and was really concerned about what we'd let ourselves in for, but I'm going to write an honest review from a non-fussy person for the Sun Holiday we went on to this place.

CHECK-IN/RECEPTION
One word - excellent. We arrived at 3.30pm and was greeted by a big smile and warm welcome from the receptionist. She checked us in within 5 minutes, gave us an information pack full of leaflets of things to do in the area and showed us where our chalet was on the map.

CHALET
We upgraded to a silver chalet but after reading the other reviews I wasn't looking forward to it. In fact the chalet was fine for the amount we paid. In my honest opinion, the decor is extremely dated (lots of pine) and it's quite small if you're travelling as a family, however everything worked fine (shower, kitchen appliances, tv etc)

The only thing I would say is if you struggle sleeping on a hard mattress then bring a inflatable bed, my partner and I didn't get much sleep as the bed was solid. Also if you are a big party and will be sleeping in the living room on the sofa bed, there is a bright green light by the door (assume this is to do with it being a fire exit) which is extremely bright when all the lights are off so it's like having a night light, which wouldn't bother a lot of people, but if you like complete darkness, sleep in the bedrooms.

The chalet smelt a bit musky when we opened the door, but after being in there for one night it smelt fine the rest of the time. In all honesty we had lovely weather so we only used it to sleep in at night as we were out the rest of the time.

If I was paying full price for this place, I'm not sure I'd be happy with what you get, but given we were going via the Sun holiday deals, you can't really complain. I'm not a fussy person and am happy to "make do" with anywhere I stay, however if you prefer to stay in places that are spotlessly clean / tidy then I would advise upgrading to the Gold chalets or look elsewhere.

THE PARK
We didn't go to the evening entertainment so I can't comment on that, but the park itself is beautiful. Our chalet was overlooking a huge area of woodland which looked stunning when the sun came through. At night it was extremely peaceful and couldn't hear a thing which was heaven.

LOCATION
The park is just outside of St Ives so you have to travel to get to the beaches etc. We drove to St Ives and parked up when we first arrived to have a look around, it took us 10 mins to drive there and cost us £2.50 for 24 hours, however we got there at 5pm and managed to get the last space, so if you're going to park then you need to get there early morning.

There is a bus service (547 I think) which comes into the holiday park itself every couple of hours that can take you to St Ives. We didn't use this so I'm not sure how much it costs.

We decided to use the park and ride option which is a 5 min drive away from the park. It's £2.50 to park for the day and £4 for adults, £2 for children or group saver for £8 day riders to get the short train journey into St Ives. We found this to be extremely flexible as you can come and go whenever you want. I think the trains run every half an hour.

Overall we had a great long weekend, however if the weather hadn't been great and we were made to stay in the chalet for a good part of the day (and paying full price) I think I would have cut the holiday short. As mentioned, if you're not fussed with a bit of grubbiness then you'll enjoy it, otherwise I'd look for another park.

6  Thank Bush_Baby46
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us such an honest review. Your comments have been passed to all departments. .

With regard to the accommodation, no doubt you noticed that the park is in the midst of a complete rebuild. Many of the older chalets are being demolished and replaced with fantastic new lodges. As you will appreciate, such a massive investment does not happen overnight.

However, we delighted to hear that you had a great holiday and we really hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 12th - 15th July & our chalet was available after 4pm on the Friday we arrived.

Chalet: although it was relatively tidy it smelt terrible of damp, cigarettes & wet dog!!
The sofa, carpet, bedding & curtains smelt so awful we bought air fresheners for the room & 2 x bottles of linen fragrance spray.
We did book a bronze chalet so expected basic but not stinking!!
We complained & that did nothing!!
That being said the silver & gold chalets look much nicer.

Park: The park was quite clean & tidy. It's in a lovely wooded area & the bus conveniently picks up in the park to go to St Ives & Penzance.
We did not use the pool or see the entertainment to comment.

St Ives: What an absolute gem!!
We had such a lovely time whilst in the town & beaches!!
Porthmoer beach was delightful & you must gets some tapas in the Porthmoer beach cafe! Delicious!!

We'll definitely be back to St Ives however, not staying in the St Ives holiday village!!

2  Thank Lulew81

Reviewed July 12, 2013

I stayed here from 5th July 2013 to 10th July 2013. I have been to this village before so I knew what to expect. Last stay was in a bronze chalet and this time we stayed in a budget chalet. The chalet was clean and tidy and was accurate against the description. "Basic and may need refurbishment". My expectations therefore matched exactly what we got. The chalet was not mouldy or damp and being located in a woodland area I guess there is an issue with this in colder months. The staff do air the chalets well. All items in the chalet were clean and tidy. Peaceful location with basic holiday village facilities available. There is a regular bus service which is great for non drivers. We extended our stay at the last minute as the weather was so good and the reception staff were very helpful and friendly. We can't thank them enough. Yes the village is tired and a bit basic and could do with updating, however you get really good value for money if you are watching your budget with this place. Don't come with unrealistic expectations.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us such an honest review.

Your comments have been passed to all departments and our housekeeping team will be especially delighted to read your comments on the cleanliness of the chalet.

We really hope to see you again in the near future

Reviewed July 12, 2013

After reading the reviews on this site, myself and my five friends were regretting our decision to book the holiday village through the sun holiday scheme. We arrived, the staff were very friendly, welcoming and helpful with sorting our accommodation. We were in a bronze chalet due for refurbishment, but it was clean, airy and we found no faults after our close inspection. There was no shower, but that was easily solved with a trip to reception for an adaptor. The evening entertainment wasn't amazing, probably due to the schools still being in session, but the staff were friendly and did their best to include everyone in the audience.
Going to town cost £2 per person in a 6seater taxi we got from reception or £4 return on the bus, takes about 10minutes, so not as far as people made out on here.

I can't fault the place, at the end of the day we wanted somewhere pleasant close to st Ives and that's exactly what we got. You can't expect to pay hardly anything then stay at the ritz. I'd stay there again, we all really enjoyed our stay at st Ives holiday village.

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you very much for leaving us such a fantastic review, we really appreciate it. Your comments have been passed to all departments.

The park does not deserve poor reviews and thankfully they are few and far between. We simply do not understand why some people choose to post them, when all the staff work really hard to make everyone feel welcome. However, we are all individuals and we can all have vastly different opinions on the same subject.

We look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We have just returned home from our Mon-Fri holiday with JFH @ the St Ives holiday park.
I would have loved to say we enjoyed our stay & our accommodation was fantastic,unfortunately I cant.
On our 4pm arrival our accommodation wasn't ready & had to wait untill nearly 4.30pm which in itself was not a problem & we realy didn't mind the wait.
Once we got to our lodge the outside the lodge was filthy,inside looked ok but kettle was half full of water the bread bin,washing up bowl & kettle were dirty as was the shower tray.
There were also cobwebs in the shower cubicle & a bit of a plant growing through the skirting board!

It was booked for 4 adults yet only had seating for 3,1 single chair & a 2 seater sofa that was like sitting on a slab of concrete.
My daughter badly injured her finger's when they got trapped under the seat of the dining chair she was sitting on, she moved her chair forward the seat popped off & her fingers got caught underneath,she was in agony.

The lodge was dismal & extremely poorly lit.
Everyday you woke up & it was very depressingly dim,even with all the lights on.
I think the bulbs must have all been 10watts.
It realy was depressing.

We are NOT fussy people & always holiday with Sun holiday tokens.
We look at it that we pay for budget accommodation as we just use accommodation as somewhere to eat & sleep & never use on site facilities as we are out in the morning by 8am & dont come back untill nightfall so no point in upgrading.

But this was dismal.
Outdated accomodation/fixtures & fittings.
But we have been to Ilfracome,Trelawne Manor & combe martin & all of their accommodation is very outdated.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

It was such a shame to read your remarks regarding your stay at our holiday park. The lodges on the St Ives Holiday Village only take full week bookings not short breaks, so we can assume from that you were not staying in a lodge.