“Very Disappointed”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My wife and I visited the Rum and Crab Shack on the recommendations from other Tripadvisor reviews, however we found the food mediocre and expensive. My wife had the Jambalaya, this was mostly rice with peppers, a few small prawns and some small pieces of unidentifiable white fish, we can only assume the crab managed to make it's escape as there didn't seem to be any in the dish! I had the crab burger, this was a bun with a bit of rather limp Rocket and white crab meat (possibly) deep fried and shaped to resemble a crab, no idea why, as it was hidden by the top of the bun and I only noticed it when sprinkling some sea salt on it. The tub of sea salt itself looked as though it had been there all day as it contained some bits of something vaguely orange, possibly batter from somebodies earlier meal! The Run and Crab Shack offers a range of Rums, these are expensive for a single measure and seem to only come with Coke as a mixer and this in a small tumbler, so we had to assume that the Coke had probably run away with the missing crab from the Jambalaya! The place itself is nice, with excellent views of the harbour but I'm afraid that this doesn't make up for the poor quality of the food, the small rums or the prices charged.

1  Thank DavidEviel
There are newer reviews for The Rum and Crab Shack

Reviewed June 27, 2013

After a couple of drinks in the bar a friend and I decided to have a bite to eat and were lucky to get a table just before the kitchen closed for the night. Really glad we did - fantastic table with stunning views on a glorious evening. We shared a shack burger, a crab salad and homemade coleslaw and all were delicious. I was a bit frightened of the battered soft shelled crab but it was amazing and I'm definitely going to go back for another one soon! Friendly, helpful staff. Reasonably priced. Good house wine. Nicely decorated with reclaimed bits and bobs, comfy sofas and fab paintings on the wall. Fresh lilies in the loo!

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Just popped in for a drink, sat in the window seat overlooking the bay and had some pate to go with it. Very relaxed and enjoyed it so much we went back next day for some more.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

A brilliant little find, fun, great value and delicious!!! Very friendless service too. I highly recommend scowlers on toast accompanied by a Special j rum and coke, yum!

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Really quaint surroundings with an unusual array of sea food. My son tried the the Shack Burger ( soft shell crab in batter on a bun!) . Very attentive staff. A quick snifter of rum after lunch was a cheeky treat .