“Excellent Birthday Venue”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We'd already tried out a good selection of the rums on offer in the first week of opening and heard that there was soon to be food as well, so just needed an excuse for a party. Rum & Crab! What's not to like? I aksed if we could celebrate my birthday there and they were happy to take a booking for as many friends as were around on the Monday night in question. We were looked after really well from numbers varying up until the night to providing our own set menu. The staff were all great and looked after us really well. Everyone said they had a good night. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Simon A

Reviewed May 16, 2013

This restaurant majors on local produce, particularly crab, which seems to make an appearance in most dishes. As another reveiwer stated, the style and menu is a refreshing change for the town.
We dined at lunchtime on a weekday and the dining area was virtually empty, which is a shame because I believe there is great potential for this place to do well. Still, it's early days and when word gets around business should come their way.
I had the gumbo and my son had the jambalaya; both were good examples. My wife had the soft shell crab burger, which arrived, somewhat disappointingly, between two slices of white bread, rather than the advertised bun.
Being on the first floor, the restaurant has good views over the harbour. Service was prompt and efficient.
One criticism that I would level at this place is that despite its focus on local produce, it does not sell any local cider. The two ciders on the drinks list are from Sweden and the Republic of Ireland.

5  Thank CityGardener
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We love the decor and relaxed atmosphere. The service was excellent,the people were helpful and friendly but not over the top. We had the crab which was superb. The 'Moomaids' ice cream was heavenly. We tried several Rums but the favourite has to be 'Goslings black seal'. The bill was,relatively, cheap,we spent about £45. We will be there next year.

3  Thank Happyone86
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We had a great time in St Ives but were slightly overwhelmed by the amount of seafood restaurants on offer. Then we found the Rum and Crab Shack - and it just felt slightly different. Its very new and run by a fun team of guys. The crab salad was delicious - fresh and simple. Then we moved onto the rums. *WARNING* - the rum tastes so good and there are so many types to try (over 30) that there is slim chance of you leaving this place steady on your feet!
Thanks for a great night!

3  Thank amanda s
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Went to the Rum & Crab Shack after reading reviews on Trip Advisor and how glad we did. Its a new start for the new management and staff of this establishment and I think it will be a huge success for them. After scanning the menu outside we were impressed how different it was compared to most of the others in the town. We booked a table and were greeted and looked after as though we were the only people in the restaurant. The staff are so friendly and helpful, and are glad to take time to talk to us. I decided to start with the crab claws and my husband had the mussels, both of which were so fresh and tasty, a bit of help was offered and accepted to break the claws (which was appreciated) and we both enjoyed our starter. Next came our mains, I chose the seafood chowder and Billy the jambalaya, both dishes were fresh, tasty and plentiful, although some bread would have been nice with the chowder to soak up the amazing sauce. We enjoyed it so much we went back again the next night and ate something different and it was equally as delicious as the first time. We wish them every success for the future, they deserve it and we look forward to visiting again when we are next in St Ives.

2  Thank Pat S