“The last of the old school”
Review of Ferrell S H & Son

Ferrell S H & Son
Ranked #3 of 6 Bakeries in St Ives
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Simple... you want a Cornish pasty in St Ives ? Forget all the rest. Just go to Ferrell, they serve pasties how you Cornish Gran made.
No messing...Swede, potato, skirt meat, good seasoning and proper pastry.

Old school at its best. Go there. They are a dying breed.

1  Thank Jonathan B

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Traditional bakers, the place where locals buy their lunch. The Cornish pasties are wonderful - not on display, but ask the lady and she will fetch them from the back room, still warm from the oven - a medium is easily enough for two people. The carrot cake is the best we've ever had too.

1  Thank Stewhils
Reviewed May 10, 2013

My grandfather came from Gwithean to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan to work in the iron ore mines. Several families lived near each other in a neighborhood called Cornish Town. So when my wife and I came to St. Ives we tried a couple places for pasties, remembering how my grandmother and my aunts used to make them with lots of fresh beef, potatoes, turnips and a great crust. Well they must have had the same recipe at Ferrell's. Ferrell S H & Son pasties are amazing. We stopped by the shop in the morning and said we would pick up two pasties around 1PM. I was starved and chose the large -- as the lovely lady who runs the shop said, "You better be hungry, it's a whopper." Indeed, but I ate every bit of it. My wife had a medium and she raved about the taste. To be honest, next time we will order one large and split it and at 3.2 pounds, that's a whole meal for two for under $5. We're in St. Ives for two weeks and every other day I am at the door when it opens at 9AM to buy fresh scones and saffron buns that are fabulous. We use clotted cream (Roddas) + jam with the scones and just Roddas for the saffron buns. Putting on pounds, but not spending too many pounds. And the lady who operates the shop is a delight, reminds me of my Aunt Margaret who made great saffron buns. So, it you want great pasties, scones or saffron buns, Ferrell S H & Son is THE PLACE!

2  Thank Peter M
Reviewed May 8, 2013

This is a traditional St Ives bakery in a tiny corner shop at the bottom of Fore Street. They sell the best Cornish pasties anywhere. Their cakes and pastries are lovely too, especially the saffron Chelsea buns, and the Cornish hevva cakes!

1  Thank S G
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Great bread, delicious home-baked cakes, swiss roll to die for and the best pasties in Cornwall. Wouldn't go anywhere else.

1  Thank Victoria W