“Nothing was too much trouble”

St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
“Nothing was too much trouble”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2010

Staff were friendly and very helpful, food was excellent, bed was comfortable, could not fault the hotel

1 Thank stephen H
PorthminsterManager, Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 26, 2010
Dear harleighhouse

Thank you so much for your kind review, I am delighted you enjoyed your visit to our hotel.

Your feedback is of such great value as we continue to grow and improve in what we do here and it is a powerful motivating tool for all the team.

I hope we may welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
Cwmbran, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2010

Absolutely wonderful stay at this hotel, despite being under refurbishment, the management have gone to great lengths not to cause any disruption to the guests. Our room was one of the unfurbished ones, however very clean and comfortable and the staff could not do enough to help if you had any concerns. We loved our stay and are keen to retun in the Spring and will be excited to see the new Spa and sample more of the chef's wonderful cuisine. Location superb, felt right at home despite being a large hotel, willing staff what more could you want - looking forward to returning in the New Year.

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank Kath010
Dear Kath010

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on this site. It is gratifying to read that some of our hard work is being noticed and also that you had a genuinely enjoyable stay with us.

I do hope to welcome you back in the New Year when I am certain you will notice further improvements at the hotel.

Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2010

You can never know, when booking a hotel, just what you're letting yourself in for. This was true for us when booking our break at the Porthminster, we needn't have worried. From the reception staff, to the young ladies who cleaned our room, everyone was friendly and helpful without being over familiar.

Our room was beautifully refurbished with a king size four poster bed & good size en suite bath/shower. Everything was very clean. From our balcony the panoramic view over Porthminster beach & the whole of St Ives was breathtaking. The pillows & duvet are goose down filled & the bedding soft, comfortable cotton, towels large, white & fluffy.
For me, the only down side was that the bed was a little too soft, causing a bit of backache, but thats my weekness, my husband slept like the proverbial log.

There is a breakfast selection to suit everyone, served in the refurbished dinning room overlooking St Ives bay (we were lucky enough to see dolphins feeding just off the beach one morning). The dinner menu is imaginative, veried & for the most part, delicious. We only booked bed & breakfast but elected to dine in the hotel most nights, as the food was so good.

It's in a great location both for St Ives harbour & town, just a few minutes walk down the hill, & access to touring routes. The car park is small but, somehow, it works.

We will certainly be going back to this gem of a hotel & would recommend it to anyone.

1 Thank wanderer123_10
Dear wanderer123_10

I am indebted to you for this great feedback. I am very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us. Should a future visit be of interest I would welcome the opportunity of providing a firmer bed. All our beds have luxury 'toppers' which can indeed feel quite soft!!

My huge thanks again and kind regards
Worthing, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2010

We had a great few days here and hope to return. Didn’t get in the car until it was time to go home. Took a train to Hayle one day and walked back, walked to Zennor and took the bus back, also walked the St Michael’s Way to St Michael’s Mount, bus back. PM me if you want details.

The location and views are perfect. We were allocated an unrefurbished room, its sea view spoiled by scaffold poles, so asked reception to move us and they quickly did. Our bed was very comfortable, the pillows better than most; we slept well until the people above got up – the floors are creaky! The shower was excellent, although anyone much over 5’10” would struggle to stand under the fixed head and the amount of water it used made no concessions to eco warriors.

All our restaurant meals were first class; there was a wide-ranging menu with several new dishes every day, a skilled hand was at work in the kitchen, and service was friendly and efficient. Try and get a window table, at least if there’s daylight when you’re eating.

Breakfast was good too, if not offering as wide a choice as you might be used to. There was no cheese or cold meat, for example, and the selection of bread and pastries was limited. Not that we minded, and it is, after all, a fairly small hotel. Cooked breakfasts, included in the B&B price, were good.

Staff members were consistently impressive. Special mention to Sarah on reception, restaurant supervisor Mark, and Bill on building maintenance, not forgetting the unseen and unsung kitchen staff and chambermaids.

Criticisms?

• Well, parking can be a bit of a pain. If you use the main car park, you have to hand your keys to reception, so they can move your car if necessary. The alternative is down a steep hill to the overflow car park.
• The electric towel rail was far too small for our bathroom – it was hard to fit the enormous towels on it, let alone get worthwhile heat. The mirror light didn’t work and the single ceiling light was hopeless for shaving or make-up application.
• Bedroom light levels were too low for comfortable reading, with just five 25w bulbs for our very spacious room. 12w low-energy lamps would give twice the light for half the running cost. Thanks to arumat’s review, we were forewarned and took a supply of bulbs with us! There were both BC and SES fittings in our room. All had candle bulbs but would take bigger ones.
• I checked before booking that I’d have Internet access but the service was appalling throughout our four-night stay. Most days, it was ok, if a bit slow, when I took my laptop to reception. But it was unusable or very flaky in our room. They know this is an issue, so perhaps it will get fixed fairly quickly, but it certainly gave me some serious problems.
• Lastly, there a few areas where we felt insufficient attention had been paid to detail. Nothing important, just niggles like no information on using the telephone (e.g. how to call reception). The room needed a spring-clean– it was generally very clean but hidden horizontal surfaces such as the drapes over our bed had a fairly thick layer of dust. If I were the manager, I’d be carrying out a thorough survey and making lots of little improvements.

Would any of those stop us returning? Absolutely not, at least as long as they keep the prices reasonable. Don’t hesitate to book.

1 Thank DaveH
PorthminsterManager, Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 25, 2010
Dear DaveH

Thank you for your review, I am very cheered to read that you enjoyed your stay and that the main aspects of hospitality, comfort and food were to your entire delight.

The elements which were found wanting are, however, of much concern to me as it is these details that are of so much importance and are what help to set a great hotel apart from a good one.

Whilst the low level lighting is being addressed in our refurbishment, we are also ensuring that the most appropriate bulbs are being used in each light with imediate effect.

Of your comments the attention to room detail is the one which causes me the most alarm, quite simply this is unacceptable. Whilst I can see now how the failing occurred, this does not make it acceptable. I have now taken steps to avoid this in future, I am confident this will avoid future failings in attention to detail in our rooms.

The ongoing saga of our guest Wi-Fi is quite possibly the single most frustrating thing I am dealing with at present! We have spent a small fortune on this provision and it has been thoroughly dissatisfactory. The latest issue was that Apple products were not compatible and it was whilst fixing this that our IT company broke the router. Both these issues have now been addressed, not that this helps you now!

For now, thank you again so very much for this feedback, you have my personal assurance that when you revisit us next year you will witness even further improvements at our hotel.

My thanks again.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2010

Managed to get a great deal. The Team are great, fantastic place to stay and good base to visit St Ives from. Would recomend the restaurant.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Silverwestie
Dear Silverwestie

Thank you for writing your review, I am very pleased that you had a fantastic time with us!

I do hope we may be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Coventry
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2010

When I think of what I would like in a hotel that I am planning to stay at I think of: a friendly and efficient welcome, a quiet room to ensure a good nights slepp and some peace and quiet, I like unobstrusive courtesy, good food and cleanliness. Added to that I llike value for money. We got all of the above.
We went to St Ives for no other reason than a break, to relax and to walk along the coast path.
The hotel is perfectly sited with great views, close to the beaches, to the town and to the coastal path. Once we arrived we didn't use our car until we left - but we did use good buses.
Our welcome was efficient and courteous. The meals were wonderful. The staff were friendly, helpful and slick. The room was comfy, quiet and clean.
I gave 1 mark down for cleanliness ONLY because the path to the beach through the hotel gardens hosted a very small amount of litter and for me it marred the perfection of the place.
This is a great place and we got excellent value for money. I'm delighted we went, and if we went to St Ives again, I'd certainly try this hotel first.
My only gripe is ... why oh why the need for background music in the lounge and restaurant? Music is such a personal thing that it is not something that can be chosen for you. The good thing is that when I asked for it to be turned down and off the staff were wonderfully obliging. There were other guests who agreed with us. It wasn't Metallica or the like - it just seems unecessary. The place is so peaceful, why break the peace. Other wise ALL GOOD ..... and if that is the only gripe, it can't be bad!

2 Thank mzurisanaCoventry
Dear mzurisanaCoventry

Thank you for this great feedback, it is very satisfying to read that you enjoyed your stay.

Opinions are often divded on the provision of back ground music, we have very recently switched to a locked iPod which plays at a constant low level volume - prior to this there had been a tendancy for it to be played a little too loudly, I am pleased that we addressed this for you at the time and in future I do not think we'd have the same issue again.

Hopefully you will come back and see us again, this time with no musical interuptions!

Warwick
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2010

This hotel is on the main road as you go toward the centre of St Ives, so you can't miss it. We didn't experience any noise from the traffic and our room was on that side of the hotel. The building has been there years by the look of it and has an old style elevator still. The main areas like the reception and corridors look a little dated mainly because of the carpet and wallpaper. But it's big and this is all left behind once you enter a newly refurbished room. They've made them feel more modern but simple compared to the rest of the hotel. The work is still going on with other areas like the pool, but we didn't see this. The rooms are cosy and have everything you need and the bathrooms are really nicely fitted.

The restaurant is on the floor below the main entrance and has also been re-done. Large windows look out down on to Porthminster beach and it's a great view for breakfast. There's a great selection of hot or cold food for breakfast and the staff are very attentive. The dinner menu changes every night, but there is another menu that stays the same and they do a good offer on the courses. The food was very good, had a bit more to it than the usual hotel restaurant and again the staff are good. They advise to book your table for dinner, we did and the room wasn't actually full as it's quite large.

The car park it opposite the building and they do fit in a lot of cars. Can be a tight squeeze, but they ask that you leave your car keys with the reception and they have a man that moves all the cars around when there are a lot of guests, or when there's a special event.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay and the best thing about the hotel is it's location. Looking out across the beach and then it's less than a 10minute walk into the main area of St Ives. So it's easy to enjoy the town without experiencing any of the noise from the teenagers that roam the waterfront at night.

1 Thank Sn00pycat
Dear Sn00pycat

I am very grateful to you for taking the time to provide this feedback, I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I hope, very much, to be able to personally welcome you back to the hotel again in the near future.