St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa
Western Hotel(St Ives)
  • Breakfast included
The Palms(St Ives)
1,598 results
All reviewssea viewcar parkwedding venuevisited this hoteloverlooking the beachbuilding workpublic areasout of seasonamazing viewsshort breaklovely roomnight breakjacuzzirebeccaharbourstives
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 25, 2010

Our daughter was recently married and both the ceremony and reception were held at the Porthminster Hotel. The venue was selected because of its position, proximity to the town and beach, quality of food and reputatation. We were not disappointed.
It was the most wonderful day and experienced by 80 people. The venue, service, food, accommodation, friendliness of staff etc were excellent. Many guests had travelled from overseas and without exception all were hugely impressed with the hotel, its quality of food and the helpfulness of staff. In addition the wedding co-ordinator had been so helpful in assisting us in organising the day and her continual presence on the day itself was so valued.

• Stayed: August 2010
1  Thank honkers55
Reviewed August 24, 2010

Had a week booked with my husband and kids. We left after 5 minutes, they wanted us to pay for 2 nights, but we settled on paying for 1. I believe it cost me about 350GBP to not stay there! That is OK though, they have a cancellation policy and I didn't mind paying it. I didn't care for this hotel. The front steps are basically an ash tray. The tropical gardens seem to be a few plants. The pool looked a bit sad and was surrounded by a few little plastic chairs. The hotel smelled dirty. The reception area was filthy. I looked at the menu and it was literally covered in food. The room was OK. Very small, but about normal for England. I would not have minded any of this so much if the hotel had not been so misrepresented by their website.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
PorthminsterManager, Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2010

Dear lovelondon20

Thank you for your review.

As you have mentioned, you checked out after just five minutes with us and I am sorry and somewhat bemused that your brief experience with us was not a more positive one.

I am sorry that you 'didn't care for this hotel'. I would be very grateful to have the opportunity of discussing this further with you in order to ascertain where we have fallen short on your expectations.

Reviewed July 24, 2010

Stayed in a 'family room' which was actually 2 large rooms and bathroom with a little internal hallway (within our rooms) -the best layout for a family room I have encountered and think it should be called a family suite really. Main bedroom had a view over the sea and 'kids' room looked out onto road. Very comfortable beds, every mod con you could wish for, little seating area although window a bit high to look at the view when sat down, 2 x flat screen TVs, hairdryer, ironing board & iron, tea & coffee facilities in both rooms, plenty of fluffy towels, all very clean. Rooms had been recently refurbished (I understand all sea facing rooms are now complete and the others are progressing). Car parking system great, block others in the car park, hand over your keys and if needed the porters shuffle the cars to let others out, never had a problem parking. Hearty breakfast with lots of choice (even did hot chocolate for the kids) from cereals and croissants to kippers and full English, kept us going til tea time, with excellent friendly service, restaurant is clean, fresh, tastefully decorated and looks out over the stunning views. Even managed to make use of the half price pre dinner bar! Staff and locals in St Ives & all other nearby locations we visited were the most friendly and helpful people I have come across in a long time. Indoor pool was not finished unfortunately and the weather was not quite hot enough for us to brave the outdoor one. Free wifi internet too.
I cannot recommend this place enough, for couples or families, it is a very good 3* and is better than some 4*s I have stayed in. Don't delay, book it whilst it is still newly refurbished

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Lakedistricter
Reviewed July 12, 2010

Stayed at this hotel in July 2010.
Great location on the hill with a short walk down to the Harbor and beautiful views from the breakfast room in the morning, BUT
We checked in on the sat, and my e mail confirmation stated that the balance of the stay was :
Total cost: £135.00
Tariff: Room and Breakfast
Deposit Received: £67.50

Needless to say, upon check out, the rather rude receptionist said that i was silly to think the balance would only be that much and that i should have read and checked the e mail properly, to which i replied,' The hotel e mailed me the tarriff, why would i question it!
There was no response to this., she then proceeded to cross out the figure on my e mail and charge us double.

We got the keys for our room and to say it was small was an understatement! I walked in and fell over the bed, our view was a wall and the space, well...there wasn't any.
Clean and tidy yes, but more a room for a single person and certainly not what i would expect for the money we ended up paying!

Overall a fab wedding and a lovely location but we certainly wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HertstravellerHerts
PorthminsterManager, Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2010

Dear HertstravellerHerts,

Thank you for your review, I am delighted you enjoyed the 'fab wedding', the views from our restaurant plus of course, our spectacular location.

What a shame we managed to spoil your experience by charging you more than you had expected for your two night stay!

I can understand why this would have been annoying for you and I'm extremely disappointed that the receptionist came across as rude at check out.

As you are aware the booking was for a standard non-view room at the rate of £135 per night for bed and breakfast - your email confirmation of 1st April stating this rate.

As you would also be aware, you had originally booked for 1 night at this rate, before then increasing the booking to 2 nights. Naturally the original daily rate was subsequently extended to the 2 nights, I am sorry that we did not make this more clear to you at the time.

Anyway, I am most dismayed that we did not deal with the matter to your satisfaction and therefore if you would care to contact me directly I would be delighted to attempt to put things right for you.

Reviewed July 3, 2010

We had our wedding ceremony and reception on 12th June at the Porthminster Hotel and it exceeded all our expectations in every way. The staff were fantastic - they couldn't do enough to help to make sure our day was special. The food was spectacular - we had a buffet wedding breakfast followed by jelly set in sandcastle buckets for our beach theme. The bbq in the evening was also superb.
The hotel is being refurbished and there was a fear that the building work would spoil things. There were builders (working on a Saturday!) outside the suit when the bridal party were getting ready and a couple of fences put up at the side of the hotel but it didnt't impact on the day. The rooms have been designed to a high standard which makes the view to Porthminster beach and St. Ives absolutely perfect.

• Stayed: June 2010