“Disappointing stay”

St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in St Ives
Reviewed September 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in August. The room was okay but without a view and certainly not worth the price we paid. The staff were decidedly over-stretched and consequently seemed to have an air of frustration about them! Breakfast was nice (buffet and also cooked to order) but when we sat down on a free table (as we had been instructed) a waiter sarcastically said 'can I wipe it first' and sighed! Bar staff seemed to be unaware of guests near them, carrying on loud conversations rather inappropriately, and later I requested a peppermint tea sachet for the room but it never came, even after a reminder call. The hotel simply needs more staff, and also needs to focus on training them to ensure the service is worthy of the high room price.

The spa has a 48 cancellation policy although this was not mentioned to us when we booked. We tried to cancel the 'special offer' massages we booked on arrival as we needed to leave a little earlier on our last day but couldn't. Our departure was further hampered parking problems...the car park is small and porters park your car for you and hold on to the keys. On departure our car was blocked by another guest's car and unfortunately they had kept their keys. We had to wait an hour while the hotel tracked down the other guests. Also, on our final bill we had been charged for two meals and drinks that we had not had - you don't need to sign for meals taken so anyone can quote your room number and get a free meal!

It's a great location, just above Porthminster Beach, but it is not the luxurious hotel it is trying to be!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Vikzababe
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review on Trip Advisor. I am very sorry to read that we as a hotel did not meet your expectations and can assure you I will look into all of the points raised in your review. We try to offer the best parking facilities that we can baring in mind parking in the whole of St Ives is a challenge, I would like to apologise for the delay that was caused to you. I would also like to point out that we do have a system in place where the customer MUST sign their room charges at the time of purchase, this however I will be looking into and again would like to apologise to you for the mix up at the end of your stay.
I hope that you will come back in the future to visit us again.
Peter Holgate

There are newer reviews for St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I spent today at the hotel on a First Aid course and then had the use of the spa and treatment rooms. We started with coffee on the terrace in the sun and then moved into a nice, bright function room. Lunch consisted of many different dishes all of them very good. Our highlight was to have the use of the spa facilities, which were excellent. My back massage was probably the best I've had. The treatment rooms were atmospheric and relaxing and smelt gorgeous. All in all a very good venue for any corporate meeting.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your day here at St Ives Harbour Hotel and that you had a chance to relax in our Spa.
I hope you will visit us again in the future.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had a long journey from Vancouver to St.Ives and were looking forward to a leisurely few days. In particular we wanted to stay in a sea view hotel with character, located within easy walking distance to shops and services, and good access to walking trails and paths. We thought we had found the perfect spot when we checked into this hotel - night manager was very friendly, our room was cozy and had a lovely view. The next day my daughter and I each had a wonderful half hour massage, and I enjoyed the spa pool and relaxation room. That evening, however, disaster struck in the form of a wedding. Now I'm all for weddings and young children, but I don't want to feel like I'm in the middle of one when on vacation at a spa! Screaming children, thumping disco music, and drunken shouting are not what I came to the St. Ives Harbour Hotel for. Just before midnight I'd had enough, so went to speak with the receptionist/manager. After searching for 10 minutes, I found him in the bar and expressed my concern. Apologies were offered and he did inform me that the music would end at midnight, and sure enough it did. But that didn't stop the screaming children and yelling adults. And he also informed me that there was another wedding the following night. He neglected to tell me that there was also a third wedding scheduled for our last night! After the second night we requested and received a room change, from 104 to luxury suite 10 . Again, a lovely room facing the sea. While the noise was less invasive in this room, because it faced the only grassy area, kids and grown ups alike congregated just outside our suite. Festivities for the wedding on the third day started early and kept up all day until after midnight. Management seemed to think that informing customers that the hotel is a venue for weddings was sufficient; I beg to disagree. Had I known that there would be 3 weddings over 4 nights, and that the weddings were so noisy and obtrusive, I NEVER would have booked this hotel. My travel agent did call and speak with hotel staf before we booked but was not properly informed of the situation. To make matters worse, we were nickled and dimed upon leaving; we were charged for the daily newspaper although it wa freely offered as well as alcoholic drinks, even though our server indicated they would be included in our package. Unless you're coming here for a wedding, stay far, far away!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Chris1420
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am truly sorry that you were disturbed during your stay by the weddings, as you can hopefully confirm you were moved to one of our luxury apartments away from the wedding celebrations.
We are a very popular choice for weddings and have never had issues or complaints about noise levels in the past.
I can only apologise for any inconvenience caused and hope that you will return to the hotel again based on the good experiences you had here.
I will pass your kind words onto the evening manager and the Spa team.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

There's a special day rate of £39 which includes an excellent 30 mins treatment. I went for the back massage and was really impressed. Get there early as the sun leaves the terrace area mid afternoon, soake the most of the sun loungers and beautiful view of the harbour.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Thank you for the lovely review. I am pleased to hear you had a wonderful and relaxing Spa experience and hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stayed here with our children in one of the hotel's family rooms. The room was nice with a contemporary style and feel. The room also had a view of the Porthminster beach which also made the room ideal. The only improvement for the room would for the bathroom to be just a bit cleaner but all in all a nice room. The Spa facilities are ideal if you want to relax and unwind in a calming environment. The food was good quality but in my opinion not good value for money. The staff, apart from the reception staff, showed no enthusiasm for their job and were hardly attentive.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank SnakeyDevon
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Thanks for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your positive comments about the rooms, view and Spa. I am sorry that you found some of the staff inattentive
which really is a surprise as we are renowned for our friendliness. I do take your comments on board though. I hope you will return to the Hotel again in the future.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

We got married here and the hotel team were first class. We stayed in the honeymoon suite which was superb. Overall, a fantastic place to get married. Thank you all.

The food was great and the view is just beautiful.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you had a fantastic Wedding at the Hotel and we were able to contribute in such a positive way to you're special day. Hope to see you at the Hotel again for your anniversary and for many years to come. Kind regards Peter

Reviewed August 28, 2013

St.Ives harbour hotel has great spa facilities, lovely decor throughout and is set in an ideal location with amazing views.However there were several issues that spoilt our 2 night stay.On arrival we were told that the room is not ready(no apologies).Clearly 4 hours is not enough time to prepare the room.Nobody bothered to find us when it was ready.When we finally got to our room there was sand all over the carpet,dusty bedside lamps and broken lightbulbs. When it came to the cleaning of the room the cleaner decided to throw away something that wasn't rubbish, she/he took it upon themselves to get rid of something which wasn't for the bin and left the room unhoovered and dusted. Our first nights main meal was a disaster as it was swimming in oil.Second nights main meal was not much better.I ordered ryb eye steak which resembled a two minute frying steak from the tesco smart price range.My wifes cheesecake base was too hard to put a spoon through it. Breakfast was very good. The biggest dissapointment came when we were checking out and we were overcharged.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank azab221

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry that your room was not ready on arrival, we do try to get the rooms finished prior to the 3pm check-in but this is not always possible. I have spoken to our housekeeping who will be investigating the issues you had in your bedroom, please accept my apologises. I am pleased that you enjoyed your dinner the second evening and I can assure you we only ever use a local butcher who supplies a large majority of the Hotels in Cornwall.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Ives
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
Chy-An-Albany
Chy-An-Albany
#8 of 20 in St Ives

Been to St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!