“4 night stay at the Harbour Hotel - St Ives”

St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Mid Wales
“4 night stay at the Harbour Hotel - St Ives”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Lovely position, great breakfasts and views from dining room and lounge. Standard room however had a zero rated view of a noisy street. This coupled with the hard bed could not make up for the nice bathroom!
My tip - ensure you have a superior room with the view of St Ives Bay and harbour.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a room with a view - and check the bed for hardness!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor. Your feedback will be taken on board and we hope to see you again in the future.
Peter Holgate.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
Cannington, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Simply stunning, i can not fault this hotel for their outstanding service and attention to detail in making our short stay a personal and attentive visit.
From the time we arrived at reception, we were made most welcome. Our car was personally parked by the valet and helped with our bags. The receptionist Jan, showed us around the hotel and welcomed us.
The staff were all so friendly, and made a point of speaking to us to check if all was ok. Helen was particularly attentive, very friendly and made our comfort most special. She was very helpful with our dining and my dietary requirements were taken into consideration with all our meals.
The spa was amazing, it was first class, the steam room, sauna and Jacuzzi will not disappoint ! We had the most relaxing morning ever.
Our room, 304, was described as a partial sea view, but it did not disappoint, infact we had an amazing view over the bay. The bed was comfy but the pillows were divine and we had a lovely nights sleep. The bathroom was finished to high standards and was exceptionally clean.
We ate both lunch and dinner in the restaurant, service was very attentive, food quality was very good, and the view was exceptional.
The lounge areas were very relaxing and the decor tastefully finished incoming with the style and fashion of the hotel. We loved the quirky old lift, which must have been the original lift for the building, but the fact that it was working and in coming with the building added to its charm.
The outdoor terraces would be outstanding in the summer, unfortunately not the right time of year for us to enjoy them.
we had paid for a pre booked dinner bed and breakfast rate, we were not disappointed in any respect, in fact we have mentioned to the receptionist that we enjoyed our visit so much that we will return towards the end of the year , and look forward to it.

Room Tip: sea views are amazing
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor and for rating us 5 Stars.
We are so pleased to hear you had a wonderful stay here and that you will be returning again this year. I will forward your review on and I know that the team will be extremely motivated by your praise. We look forward to welcoming you back.
New Milton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2013

One would never believe that these two hotels are sister hotels. The Christchurch Harbour Hotel is in my opinion one of the best hotels I have ever had the opportunity to stay in. In fact I liked the hotel that much that I arranged to have my wedding there almost two years ago. I was not to be disappointed and neither were my guests, may of whom stayed on for extra nights they liked it so much.
Now for the St Ives Harbour Hotel, what an extremely poorly run hotel it is in comparison to its sister hotel. The room we were given was of average size and probably best described as "fairly compact". We enjoyed a lovely lunch with views out over the bay of St Ives, the food was of very high standard and the silver service couldn't be faulted. Our first "problem" came on the first morning of waking up, my wife had taken her shower and when I ventured to the bathroom to carry out my ablutions I was greeted by a man in a high visibility vest outside the window scraping it in readiness for painting. This was all rather embarrassing, the window although frosted had no blind or curtains, the toilet was situated under the window, the sink on the opposite wall from the window and the shower to the right of the window, if I could see the guy through the frosted glass then it was pretty obvious he could see me. I reported this "problem" to the receptionist and all I got was a "Oh, sorry about that".
The next "problem" we encountered was on our second morning we were slightly later than usual in vacating our room (we'd had some spa treatment and revisited our room to freshen up), we left the sign on the door requesting that the room be cleaned (I think the slogan read something like "Not quite ship shape"). On returning late that evening we found that the sign was still hanging on the door, when we entered the room it was exactly as we had left it earlier. The bed was unmade, the tea cups not replaced, the wet towels not replaced, the waste bins not emptied. Again I reported this to reception, they did apologise and handed us clean towels, clean cups and saucers and the necessary tea bags etc. Next morning as we walked past reception we were greeted by the receptionist who had great delight in reporting that housekeeping were contacted about our room not being serviced and to let us know that housekeeping stated that we'd put the do not disturb sign on the handle, I think I know the difference.
I had made my booking through Secret Escapes and it was an inclusive package of overnight stay with breakfast, a free lunch on either the day of arrival or day of leaving, and also a free spa session. On checking out of the hotel I was confronted with a bill that was more than the price I'd been quoted via Secret Escapes, I questioned this and after items were removed I paid the balance. I have recently received my credit card statement, I have found that Secret Escapes have taken the payment (taken on the day I booked online) and that I was still charged by the hotel for extras that were inclusive. I called the hotel only to find that the receptionist couldn't help me as she didn't know how to issue a refund and asked if I could call back another time when a different receptionist would be able to help me.
The hotel does have a limited number of spaces for parking and the majority of it is valet parking. I left my car keys with instruction that I needed to be out of the hotel early on our last morning so could I please have a parking space on the lower level, waiting for the car lift was a delay I could have done without. Needless to say, my car was on the second level and I had to wait for the car lift. An annoyance and a delay to the start of my day.
All in all, this was supposed to have been a relaxing few days away for myself and my wife following an extremely traumatic period of time, it didn't end up relaxing at all, it was fairly stressful and is probably an hotel we wouldn't be rushing back to any time soon.

Room Tip: Avoid room 101
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Paul_Major_55
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor. I sincerely apologise for any poor service that you received across your stay. We work very closely with our staff to ensure high standards and I can assure you that we will be assessing all of the points raised in your review. We would encourage you to return to the hotel in the future and hope to welcome you back.
Kind Regards
Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Been visiting St.Ives for years and this was the most memorable visit ever. Spa and gym were simply fantastic. Martyn the receptionist was also a personal trainer and was very helpful and after chatting to him about our love for fitness and biathlons he signed us up to his circuits class. Class was great and after chatting to him further we asked to buy some personal training from him for later in the week. Martyn met us on the beach where we did some exercise and running drills and then he took us on a run around the stunning coastline and sand dunes. We ended up in a place called lalant by a tiny train station platform where he had a rucksack hidden in the hedge with some cold drinks, face towels and train tickets as to our surprise he had pre planned it. We got a train ride back which we have never experienced and the whole thing was so unbelievable. We cannot wait till our next visit especially with the summer weather and hope Martyn is still there as next time we will be down for 2 weeks and not just a few days and will need lots of exercise. See you all soon.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review St Ives Harbour hotel on Trip Advisor. I am Pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and to hear of your experiences here.I will pass your kind words and comments on to Martin.
We will ook forward to seeing you again soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I had a hot stones massage at the spa - great treatment although the music was far too loud. Ladies changing rooms tiny - really far to small for the facilities on offer. We had to take all our bags by the pool for an hour whist we waiting for locker cards to become available which was a bit daft especially as the poolside area was so cramp. Pool etc nice and clean.

A bit of a farce trying to pay - cards were declined three times before it went through because someone in the hotel was using the phone !

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank GarethandVictoria
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your Hot Stones Massage, although the music being too loud. I will forward your feedback onto the Spa Team.
We hope you will visit again in the future.

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Just returned from 3 night stay. 16th/17th/18th Fabulous room, amazing weather, wonderful views. Bed and bed linen first class. Staff friendly and very obliging. First night we had supper @ 8.30 and was told 6 items were not on the menu and one had changed ..... It was Saturday night and only 8.30. The girls were so embarassed telling us things were off ! We didn't risk dinner there again. Breakfast was more or less the same. Lovely quality breakfast but always reminding the staff of things they had forgotten there didn't seem to be anyone "in charge" of the restaurant ever. HOWEVER the hotel is lovely, the lounge and terrace are beautiful, the staff are amazing and I will go back there again just wont use the restaurant. Unless the manager can convince me otherwise .

1 Thank Santigma
Thank you for your recent review. I would like to thank you for your lovely comments and will pass them onto the team here. I would like to apolagise for the food situation on Saturday night and assure you this is not our usual level of practise.
We hope to see you again very soon.

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Just had a one night break at Hotel and we were very pleased with nearly all aspects. Staff very friendly, excellent spa and although not booking a sea view, room had great views over beach.
Room itself was of good size and very clean.
Only adverse comments would be, on evening menu it prized itself on local fish and no local fish was on menu!!. Although food was off a very high quality, i would add.
Also for a cornish hotel, need to improve local ales in hotel, Doom Bar or Tribute, if coming to Cornwall, not looking to drink Boddingtons from Manchester!!.
In summary great couple of days, great location and will certainly revisit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review on Trip Advisor. Thank you for the kind feedback, I will pass your comments onto the team hear and take on board your comments.
We hope to see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Ives
Chy-An-Albany
Chy-An-Albany
#8 of 21 in St Ives
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay

Been to St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!