“Wonderful weekend break”

St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We have just had a lovely two night stay at The Harbour Hotel in St Ives. The staff were all very pleasant and helpful, the room was spacious and with a wonderful view of the bay, and the food, both at dinner and breakfast, was excellent, as was the service. We found the autumn special rate to be excellent value for money for such good quality accommodation and little extras like complimentary champagne in our room on arrival and complimentary coffee after dinner were nice touches. We were also pleased to be able to choose from a wide and varied menu, so often on special deals one is restricted to a limited menu. St Ives is a delightful town, only a few minutes walk away and the coastline is stunning, ideal for walking.
I would have given the hotel 5 stars but for small criticisms. Our room when serviced was not replenished with more tea, milk or loo rolls; we had to ask for more of these from reception, but they were readily provided. A bath would have been nice rather than a shower and a safe in the room would have been useful. These are very small niggles and did not spoil our enjoyment, we will be back!

Room Tip: Sea view is lovely
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
jasonparry55, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Thank you for your review, we really appreciate all feedback and I am so pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us. I must apologise for the some of the smaller details that were missed by our housekeeping team and I thank you for letting us know in order for us to address them. We very much look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

A long 245 mile drive from Oxfordshire but well worth it. Formerly The Porthminster overlooking the fabulous Porthminster Beach this hotel is now part of The Harbour group and undergong refurbishment. The staff are very friendly and helpful, the food is good and the restaurant views wonderful. A good spa and with the deal from the Waitrose magazine we had a good enjoyable weekend. Well worth checking out.

Room Tip: If you can try and get a sea facing room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on this site, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and so hope that you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

A lovely room with a balcony, and possibly the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. The room was clean nd airy and the bathroom was very nice. Used the gym and the pool, both very nice, and we both had a back massage in the Spa which was great value.

The breakfasts were excellent and served in a lovely dinning room overlooking the bay. All the staff we encountered were excellent... everyone, without exception was friendly, helpful and attentive.

Overall, we had a lovely break and just wish we had stayed longer... Next time!

Room Tip: We had a sea view room which was really nice and to be honest anything else would be a disappointmen...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the review, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and we very much look forward to welcoming you back again in the not too distant future

Reviewed September 25, 2012

We booked two nights from 21st September as a special getaway for our wedding anniversary. We had a special deal of dinner, bed & breakfast, sea view and a bottle of champagne on arrival. Not cheap but a nice treat. We were greeted by a lovely receptionist who was very helpful. Our room was wonderful...we had a family suite (for just the two of us) which was like an apartment with two bedrooms, so lots of spare room!! The decor of the public areas is superb, it felt very elegant. The terrace was another really nice area but it was too windy when we were there to make use of it. The spa was wonderful, we made full use of the pool, sauna and steam room and were always greeted by the receptionist and well looked after. The food at breakfast and dinner was of a good standard but we also found the service to be very slow. The staff in the restaurant were always very nice but just seemed too busy to be able to provide the standard of care one would expect. Long gaps between courses left me getting unnecessarily irritated because the food was lovely and it should have been a nicer experience. The room was right at the end of the building and did feel a bit cool at times but there was an electric heater although I'm not sure how it would cope heating the large room in the winter. All in all, I would return to this hotel but I would go bed and breakfast only next time and venture into town for evening food.

Room Tip: Room 217 - second floor, sea view double bedroom + twin bedroom with hallway
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
jasonparry55, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Thank you for your kind words and I am so pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us. I am so sorry that the speed of service in the restaurant was slow and that we appeared to be understaffed, we have over the last week or so experienced a significantly increased number of diners than that was expected. This is no way an excuse and I sincerely apologise for the frustrations this caused you. I do hope that on a future visit to the hotel you would be tempted to reconsider your decision of not dining in the hotel and we very much look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

After receiving a glossy magazine about the refurbishment of the St Ives Harbour Hotel (previously Porthminster Hotel) I booked a weeks holiday being reassured that there was a lift as I am unable to use the stairs. On my arrival I was very disappointed with the room which was very dated and had unsightly water stains all over the wallpaper. The television did not work and and after several complaints was left with a make shift TV balanced on a stool. On several occasions the lift did not work and other residents kindly assisted me with the stairs. The view from the hotel is lovely, but overall I feel I paid an outrageous amount of money for very poor accommodation and service.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Jean P
jasonparry55, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel here on this site, I am so sorry that your experience is not what you expected and I would very much like to discuss your stay with you personally, please email me your contact details in order for me to get in touch with you directly jason.parry@harbourhotels.co.uk. I am a little concerned about the issues you mention with the lift as it has not been out of order at all during this month and I wonder if the issue here is the doors not being closed properly, she is very old but beautiful lift and regrettably does not have automatic doors and relies on others using her correctly. I very much look forward to speaking to you very soon.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for a few days before our wedding. The hotel is beautiful. All of the rooms are beautifully decorated. The only issues I and others noticed were that the bathroom we had was a bit cramped but modern, and the breakfast service was very poor. We did expect better service for the amount of money paid. I also got my nails done for the wedding down at the spa and they ran out of gel nail polish, which is important for any wedding day, and they barely had any nail polish colors. They also did not offer any ideas for what the nails should be, which as professionals, I would have thought they would have known. The positives were that the events coordinators were amazing beyond belief, as were the staff. They accommodated us for our big day in every way they could. We had the most spectacular day with beautiful views, delicious food, and perfect decor as the staff set up everything I had specified. Although there were the negatives I listed above, I would recommend for everyone to have their wedding there!

Room Tip: I wouldn't get a room without a view. My room was massive as I was the bride, but it faced the s...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank meeeshelle11
jasonparry55, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2012

Thank you your review and your constructive comments, I am extremely disappointed regarding the issues at Breakfast and the lack of information and nail polishes available in the Spa. Both of these aspects are being addressed as a matter of urgency and I thank you for bringing them up. I am so pleased your Wedding Day went well for you and that you chose the St. Ives Harbour Hotel as your venue. We do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed at the St. Ives Harbour Hotel 17th-19th September, on a Waitrose special offer, D,B and B, taken up with some trepidation after some of the previous Trip Advisor reports. In fact, we couldn’t have been more wrong. There is a lift, we had room 303 with a wonderful view over the bay (and a different one from the well appointed bathroom). An excellent meal in a very pleasant dining room; service a little slow but not bad. The fitness suite was as good as any and the staff very pleasant and helpful. The crowning delight was when we asked for some sandwiches as we were attending an evening performance at the Minac open air theatre. The chef appeared in person with a large and well stocked hamper complete with a thermos of hot soup, -“you’ll be needing this, it can be cold”. He was right! And all included in the tariff. Forget the previous reviews, we had a wonderful time.

Room Tip: A sea view is worth the extra. Book the restaurant/get in early for breakfast for a window seat with...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time review the hotel here. I am so pleased that the team went the extra mile with your picnic and glad that it was so well received. We are looking forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Ives
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
The Gannet Inn
The Gannet Inn
#2 of 4 in Carbis Bay

Been to St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!