“A nice hotel with lovely views” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Dawlish, Devon
“A nice hotel with lovely views”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

My partner and I stayed for 3 nights DB&B on a bargain break and had a lovely stay. The views from the hotel are lovely overlooking St Ives Harbour and you can walk down to the town in 10 minutes. The staff are very friendly and the hotel has just undergone a refurbishment which has modernised it. It has a lovely terrace, spa and restaurant and the food was a good standard. Our bedroom was a standard room with the usual facilities. The downside of the hotel is that it has no car park but they have a driver who will take and fetch your car from a pound they rent further up the road - a bit inconvenient but as we were only there for a few days we didn't use the car much. The train is a cheap option to get about and walking is even cheaper. I have also stayed at one of their other hotels Salcombe (which is currently closed for refurbishment) and I would certainly stay at Harbour Hotels again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bartonbelle
jasonparry55, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 22, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words, we are in a beautiful part of the world and there is certainly so much to see and do in St. Ives that using the car is not always necessary. Parking can be difficult at time but we will always do everything we can to make it as easy as possible for our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
Penzance, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Excellent stay can't wait to return everything was five star

• Stayed July 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your very kind words. All the staff, I know, will be very motivated by your welcome comments. We hope to see you back in the future.
Honiton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

Lovely hotel, Wonderful location, we had a view of the beach below. Rooms were a little hot but with the window open, great you can hear the sea. The room was clean and bright. The bed was wonderful, soooooo comfy, lovely pillows. Best Sleep I had for a long time. Breakfast was very good. Great choice, cereals, juices, pastrys, full english, vegetarian breakfast, salmon, or just taost. Highly recommend the hotel.
Dont go to the Treganna Castle hotel - go to the Harbour, its only a 10 min walk into the centre. We paid £108 for a double incl breakfast. Very helpful staff.

Room Tip: Get a room at the rear of the hotel with a sea view. We stayed in room 209. Bright, airey and comf...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for posting your very kind review. We hope to welcome you back in the very near future.
Hertford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

My wife and I recently spent a couple of nights at this hotel to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. Unusually for me, I booked first and read the reviews afterwards, and in fairness, they did put me off a bit. Having now stayed there, I would have to say that I think most of them are a bit harsh and give the wrong impression.

I do feel sorry for the hotel. From the guests I saw during our brief stay, it seems to attract more than enough nouveau riche, people with more money than manners who expect a Ferrari for Ford Escort money and who will complain when they don't get it. However for those who have a fairer outlook on life, then from our experience you can expect the following.

When you arrive, you simply park outside in a lay-by. If the garage has room, you will be invited to park in it. If it doesn't, one of the "parking men" will either take your car and park it for you, or lead you to the parking and bring you back. Sure, this isn't the most convenient thing, but this is St Ives. Parking is at a premium everywhere and if that is a problem then you need to holiday elsewhere. Besides, both the guys I saw were so friendly that I felt I had made 2 new friends. (To the younger guy, I hope you enjoyed your trip to the Eden Sessions - you were right, it is a fantastic place!)

The hotel reception area is very striking and we couldn't have been better received. Friendly, polite and very courteous staff, (who incidentally had upgraded our room free of charge), made us feel very welcome. The room was nicely appointed, clean and everything worked as it should (including a rather impressive air-bath). Okay, the sash window rattled a bit in a high wind, but this is an old building and sash windows often rattle. A judiciously placed piece of cardboard solved the problem. The hot water does take a few seconds to come through but certainly not so long that is worth complaining about.

The restaurant is superb with fantastic sea views. The chef produces excellent breakfasts and dinners; the restaurant manager is extremely professional and runs a very, very good dining room, and the waitresses were all very polite, attentive and helpful. The food is served for you, so if you want an all-you-can-eat style buffet you will be disappointed. One downside, the bar is extremely expensive, but I suppose this does mean no drunken guests careering around the corridors late at night!

Yes, the walk down into St Ives or to the beach is quite a steep one, but again, this is St Ives. Everywhere in St Ives is a steep walk up or down so if that isn't for you then I would suggest a holiday in Norfolk.

Overall, we thought this was a really nice, proper old-school English hotel. Okay, it might not be 100% perfect, (I've yet to see anywhere that is), but it does offer very good value for its middle-of-the-range price tag, all of the staff are polite and friendly, and you do feel like a guest rather than just a customer.

We would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Well worth going for a room with a sea view.
2 Thank HertfordSaint
Thank you for your very kind review and for taking the time to post it. St Ives does present specific geographical challenges for the uninitiated but we feel its beauty and uniqueness go some way to mitigating these. Here at the St Ives Harbour Hotel we have addressed the parking issue to the best of our ability, however we have so far been unsuccessful in our attempts to flatten the landscape. All the staff I am sure will be pleased and motivated by your very positive comments and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Torquay, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

Booked a mid week stay - at £140 a night. Stunning view, awful room. Just as all the previous bad reviews warned - dated, tatty carpet, dusty, worn out, grubby. In dire need of a re-furb/modernisation. Middle aged women manning the desks looked aggrieved every time you spoke to them - very unhelpful. Although the pool was nice didn't try the spa as the reception staff there were just as uninterested. Breakfast was scrummy and with a wonderful view. Left feeling distinctly underwhelmed and overcharged. Wouldn't visit again nor would I recommend it to anyone else.

2 Thank 11Vegas11
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations, on this occasion. We are currently coming to the end of an extensive renovation and refurbishment programme as our rooms are completed to a very high standard, there are still some rooms that need some work and we are currently addressing these issues on a rolling basis. I am particularly concerned that you found members of the team to be uninterested and unhelpful, this is certainly not the image we want to portray for our hotel and I thank you for bringing it to my attention. If there are any aspects of your stay you would like to discuss further then please do contact me directly jason.parry@harbourhotels.co.uk.
Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

My wife and 2 pre-teen children spent 4 nights at the Porthminster in late June. I cannot account for the inconsistent feedback of the tripadvisor reviews but our experience was overall very positive. The hotel itself sits high above the harbor and Porthminster beach, which is easily accessible via pathways just behind the place. Having such close and easy access to the beach is a definite plus for families...at least it was for us.

We stayed in what i'd call a family suite; an adequately sized "normal" room with a smaller room attached that contained two twin beds. Having not seen any other rooms, I do not know whether our room was refurbished or not but it was perfectly clean and comfortable for us...everything worked and housekeeping did their thing everyday without incident. (The view of the harbor from our room was spectacular)

Breakfast is served in the restaurant, which looks out over the harbor (again spectacular views). The buffet section (fresh fruit, fruit salad, croissants, cereal, juices, etc) was fine and attended to promptly from what I could tell. The hot portion menu was a bit more extensive than we typically saw at other similar places on our stay (14 days)....poached eggs (not totally atypical), boiled eggs with toasted soldiers. All of the food we tried was satisfying and the waitstaff were attentive to our requests.

It's a bit of a walk to the city center...15-30 minutes depending on your speed and direction...you'll walk down, down, down to the city and up, up, up on the way back. If you're not a "walker" (we walk a lot on vacations purposefully so it's not a big deal for us) or if you want to be right in the thick of the very quaint town, then this may not be the best place for you.

Minor drawbacks:
1. As stated by others, parking could definitely be a challenge however I quickly learned to simply temporarily park out front and run inside to ask for the valet's "advice" at which point they would pretty much take over, parking the car and returning the keys to our room shortly thereafter. The advice i'd give is that when you're planning on taking your car out, to allow a few extra minutes because if they've parked it on the second floor of the garage (only accessible to the car by car-elevator), the valet will need to retrieve it and that takes a good 5-10 minutes. Worst case, if you discover that your car is parked on the first level or down the street in the aux-lot (and therefore don't need the valet) you've gained yourself an extra 5-10 minutes.
2. While I get that this place is a spa as well as a hotel, the pool has designated children's hours which are pretty inconvenient if you're planning on getting out of the hotel during the day. (10am - 11am and 3:30pm - 5pm...no jumping, no splashing, keep quiet) It reminded us of Caddyshack...caddies allowed in the pool once a year from 1pm-1:15pm. Note that I'm not against this policy per se but our expectations would have been different had we known this upfront since the presence of a pool was of some excitement to our kids (hence my noting it here). Otherwise, the spa was great...the pool, sauna, steamroom, whirlpool, and workout rooms were all very nice and well maintained. (the pool is pretty small fyi...probably about 20X30ft)

All in all the drawbacks were minor and we enjoyed our stay at the hotel very much. We would return here in a heartbeat should we ever decide to visit the area again.

Room Tip: My guess is that they have very few "family" rooms with the extra room attached so if you...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind review and we are all happy that you enjoyed your stay. We are sorry that the swimming times for children disappointed you, but do feel that we have, for the most part, balanced the needs of our younger visitors with the fact that the pool is very much part of our spa rather than a separate leisure facility. I sincerely hope that this will not deter you from visiting the hotel again in the future.
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

Fantastic location - however cleanliness is not good stayed for 4 nights room never hoovered. Table in dinning room dirty, glasses dirty.
Not warned that we could not use bar for 2 nights as booked out for weddings - noisey!
A shame that the staff are not trained to clear dirty tables, or told to keep private conversations to the staff room!
No complimentary products in bathroom - do not ask for porridge at breakfast you could turn the plate upside down!

Room Tip: The rooms on second floor are good
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank reader898
Thank you for posting your review. Please do contact me directly at jason.parry@harbourhotels.co.uk in order that I can discuss the unsatisfactory aspects of your stay and hopefully go someway to restore your faith in us.