“Wonderful views and Gardens”

Tregenna Castle Resort
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
London
“Wonderful views and Gardens”
Reviewed April 23, 2010

We stayed for two nights and enjoyed beautiful weather. We were dreading our stay on account of some of the reviews. We selected a room with a sea view, we turned down the first room offered in the main section because of the poor view, but we were pleased wiith the next one offered in the west wing, good size room, light but not large with a lovely view and a spacious bathroom all in rather dated but in good decorative order. The corridors are a maze and the hotel lacks charm and it is dated. The internal pool was lovely, the gardens are beautifully and woderfully maintained, the staff were generally friendly and attentive, breakfast was good and plentiful in an enormous and impersonal dining room. We prefered eating in St Ives in the evening, very good choices. The walk from St Ives to the hotel was rather demanding but pleasurable.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (862)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Oxfordshire
Reviewed April 20, 2010

I stayed at the Tregenna Castle for a friend's wedding. As I was only going to be able to stay for two nights, I decided to treat myself to a good room at what was billed as a high quality hotel. Very sadly, it is nothing of the sort.

The view from my room was fantastic, and, for the most part (apart from the spilled drink stain on the carpet) it could not have been cleaner. However, everything else fell far, far short of what the price (£170 per night) indicated. When I arrived at reception, burdened with 4 bags (I know, too much for one person for two nights, but hey, it was a wedding!) I was not offered any help with my luggage. I was asked if I wanted a newspaper, selected the Independent and was then told I'd have to collect from reception each morning. Not good, but ... The next morning, there was my copy of the Independent. There, too, were all the free copies for guests to read over breakfast, which the receptionist hadn't thought to mention!

Like others, I found the heating practically useless. I reported this to reception, and they promised to send someone to look at it. An hour and a half and a reminder call later, someone arrived and I did get an electric heater, which eventually warmed the room up to an acceptable standard, over several hours. The wake up call I asked reception to organise didn't happen. When I told them about this, as I checked out, I was told that it was on the system, as though that made it either my fault or OK that I had not been woken up.

The walls were so thin that I was 'entertained' at 11.30pm on the first night by the couple in room 56 having a charming row about his over-appreciation of another woman. Apparently, he kept looking at someone other than his partner 'like that' but said partner did not appreciate it! I didn't appreciate it either.

In a large double room there were just 4 electrical sockets. As two were needed for the (old but functioning) TV and separate freeview box, and one for the heater, that left just one for the kettle, my blackberry, the hairdryer and anything else I might have wanted to plug in.

At breakfast, all the 'fruit juice' on offer was all, in fact, 'juice drinks' - sugar laden squash and not fruit juice at all. The Woodland Walk was a stroll between two rows of trees, along a path so soggy that there was a hearty crop of watercress in prospect in several places ...

Overall, I was massively disappointed that what I had hoped would be a couple of days of luxury was very , very basic. I have stayed at the Hilton on Park Lane in London and paid only slightly more money - a much better option, but sadly a bit far from the wedding. At least there, I got what I paid for.

Unless they can hugely improve the reception service and the basic standards in the rooms, I would suggest avoiding the Tregenna Castle Hotel and opting instead for a hotel which offers an honest, quality service for an honest quality price and does not have pretensions to a standard it just can't meet.

Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank welshrainbow
Plymouth
Reviewed April 17, 2010

Read the reviews on Trip Advisor after booking, I was fearful of what to expect at Tregenna after so many negative comments! I stayed at Vow Cottage for a week over Easter with my partner & 14 and 10 year old boys.

We were extremely pleased with the location of the Hotel which overlooks St Ives; the views were awesome. The Hotel is 8 minutes walk from the Seafront in St. Ives.

The vast Grounds and gardens of the Hotel are very well maintained, really pretty with plenty of areas to sit and walks to explore. We played on the 18 Hole par 3 golf course and all thought it was very well maintained and fantastic to play.

The facilities were beyond our expectations. The indoor pool was warm, the sauna and steam room were fine. The Jacuzzi was ok, but could have been a few degrees warmer. My boys made full use of the Tennis, table-tennis and badminton facilities. One negative was that only one of the 3 Tennis courts was in operation, as the other 2 need maintenance. We used the gym each day, and with over 25 treadmill/other machines it was more than adequate.

The Hotel Reception, restaurant, bar, and other public areas were 4* as are many other areas of the Hotel. I would be guessing, but I assume the whole hotel isn't 4* because of the decor/facilities in the Hotel Rooms and some of the decoration in the gym/pool/changing rooms.

The Reception and Gym staff were all helpful and dealt with all of our requests. We ate outside on the superb new decking area overlooking St. Ives Bay and all enjoyed our food.

We stayed in Vow Cottage which is approx a 3 minute walk from the Hotel. Its a detached 3 bedroom cottage overlooking the Sea. It was very tranquill; we were able to hear the waves on Porthminster Beach. Well furnished, it had everything we needed, along with lots of 'character.'

We thought the Hotel was great value for money and don't agree with all the negative comments on this site. We will be returning to Tregenna, not to buy one of the Time-Shares in the Lodges (as fantastic as they look) but to enjoy a geat Hotel within walking distance of one of the best holiday destinations in the UK.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank SurfandSailFan
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2010

The Treganna Castle is a average hotel, and for £120 for two nights what can you expect.
Breakfast was good, nice selection of foods, though the fruit juice was either full of sugar or totally tasteless depending on which one you chose.
Rooms were ok, tired looking but clean.
All the communal rooms are well decorated and clean, the lobby is especially nice for relaxing.
Good selection of kit in the gym, pool was a bit cold, especially after coming out the sauna!
Reception staff were helpful, though we were given duff info from the new girl ref booking appointments at the spa, it is done through reception ignore what she says!
We would go again, as the location is superb.

Bristol
Reviewed April 6, 2010

First things, the staff were fine, the facilities were fine. If you are staying in the cottages, apartments or lodges maybe it is a better place to stay - however we stayed in the hotel (room 123) and at a cost of £92 per night we left after 2 nights (was booked in for 3) The bed was broken when we arrived. The hotel changed the base (very quickly once we complained) the mattress was about 1 inch deep and STAINED, it looked as if it was 20 years old and felt it. We could here everything next door in their bathroom because there was a stud partition wall. the doors are really heavy. The room was small, which was ok. There is a hell of a hike up the hill from St Ives.
I have stayed in lots of hotels, due to my job. THIS IS THE ONLY PLACE I WOULD NOT GO TO AGAIN. In fact at one point we seriously considered moving to a B&B down the road which looked NICER!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Marchia43
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2010

bad things first - room was very small, doors were heavy and banged VERY loudly, a clear glass window (not frosted) was in the bathroom which was overlooked by other rooms. Bed was lumpy room was very small (for price) and stairs were dirty. one hell of a hike downhill to town. resataurant was expensive. swimming pool and gym very small. Parking was a nightmare as the hotel has a lot of self catering lodges which have reserved parking close by, hotleiers have to park further away,

Good points are - nice location if you have a sea view, reception staff were good, breakfast was good, grounds and gardens were nice with lovely view.

is ok if you get a deal

London
Reviewed April 1, 2010

We spent 3 nights at Tregenna Castle earlier this week. We paid for a sea view which was fantastic however the room smelt of damp, probably due to a lack of ventilation in the bathroom. The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful and it was no bother moving us to another room which had a better view and larger bed. The bathroom however was tired and dated as were most of the facilities at the hotel. It seems the hotel is confused as to which style it is maintaining (the bathrooms and sports facilities were eighties, whilst other parts of the hotel were art deco).

The breakfast was as expected from a large hotel (buffet style english and continental breakfast).

The beauty service was friendly and professional, providing most treatments at a fair price.

The golf course and grounds were well kept. The leisure centre was clean, however the facilities were tired and dated (e.g. rusty shower rail in the changing rooms and aged wood in the sauna).

The hotel provides wifi in the main hall however this was not working whilst we were there which was frustrating as I had some work to complete whilst I was away and this was one of the reasons I chose the hotel.

Overall, the value for money was fair as we were on a deal (£90 per night), however I would probably spend the same price on alternative accomodation next time we are in St Ives.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Ives
Pedn Olva Hotel
Pedn Olva Hotel
#4 of 21 in St Ives
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay

Been to Tregenna Castle Resort? Share your experiences!