“Tregenna Hotel short break”

Tregenna Castle Resort
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Tregenna Hotel short break”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Purpose was a short break to unwind after a stressful time and Tregenna provided the opportunity to do just that - from its superb view of St Ives harbour, its excellent service, good food, very comfortable room, and its convenient location and range of facilities. Totally spoilt really!

Room Tip: Upgrade to sea view
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Mikes36_13
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Thank you very much for your trenchant review and your fine compliments. We are very pleased that you succeeded in achieving your objective and enjoyed your time with us. I sincerely hope that the next time you need some R and R you will think of us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (860)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

Upon arriving the place smelt of luxury. Really enjoyed the good food and atmosphere. Mel on reception was very friendly and helped me with a small issue.

I require a larger and firmer bed than most and I was advised it would cost £20 and our room would be upgraded to a sea view room, this seemed a fair price for such opulence. However the beds (2x single beds stuck together!) dipped a lot in the middles. At breakfast they did ask how we slept and we told them about the beds, however nothing was done. The second night was worse and woke up from 5am with a chronic back ache which really ruined the whole break. We wanted a relaxing short break after having to work all xmas ;-(

The room we stayed in was very good and couldnt ask for more.

The gym is very good and certainly acheived beastmode in no time at all.

The pool is very nice and hot tub awesome!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dan_Russell
Thank you for your review and many compliments. Whilst we are very happy that so many aspects of your visit were pleasant, we are sorry that such an important one was unsatisfactory. I have notified our housekeeping manager and asked him to investigate. We sincerely hope that this incident will not dissuade you from visiting us again and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.
Falmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2014

My partner and I decided to stay here for 2 nights Thurs-Sat during the January offer as we had heard great things about the castle and thought it would be very good value for money.

We are both Cornish and spend a lot of time in beautiful St Ives, yet we had never visited Tregenna Castle before - after hearing only good things we were very excited for a much needed short break away together.

The room was not a sea-view room but was more than suitable with plenty of storage and a decent bathroom. It was a bit tatty around the edges and a bit dated but nothing to complain about at all. Upon arrival we immediately headed down to the pool/gym area. The gym equipment is very dated and feels slightly unsafe - at one point I was on the exercise bike and with each rotation of the pedal I heard and felt a loud 'clunk' which was both worrying and embarrassing. I then went on to use some of the weight and resistance equipment but the area was full of large men huffing and grunting which put me off greatly. After only around 20 minutes we decided we'd go for a nice stretch in the pool however the pool was so cold that you could not even put your shoulders under the water!! I was so upset as I really enjoy swimming but rarely get the opportunity. We spent around 15 minutes in the jacuzzi which was not too hot either before heading down the cold concrete steps to the sauna. The sauna was fine, quite small but no one else was in there so it wasn't a problem, however the only water to add to the coals was in a small squashed water bottle in the corner... not very nice!

We headed into the town for dinner and drinks but my partner needed to borrow an iron beforehand, we phoned down to reception where we were told that there was one iron in whole hotel which was located in the utility room. The utility room was very basic and everything was covered in a thick layer of white dust as if it had just been built!

The following morning we were woken at 8.30am by a builder knocking on our door (there was no do not disturb sign anywhere in the room), when I opened the door he just said 'oh sorry, i'll come back later'... I still have no idea what he wanted. We then headed for breakfast where we chose to have both fruit and yogurt and a cooked breakfast. The fresh pineapple was delicious and so were the dried apricots.

The menu states that you are able to choose how you would like your eggs cooked, it also states that breakfast comes with hogs pudding. Firstly, our waiter came over and said '2 cooked breakfasts yeah?' to which we agreed and he then walked away before we even had a chance to ask about eggs. Our breakfasts arrived with very greasy and very overcooked fried eggs and no hogs pudding. After trying to get the waiters attention for over 5 minutes my partner asked why there was no hogs pudding on the plate to which he was told 'oh it's never on there really, do you want one then?' to which my partner said yes... we waited over 10 minutes for the tiniest slice of hogs pudding to arrive - we had both finished our breakfasts by this point. Upon leaving the breakfast hall no one thanked us or acknowledged us as we left, which I think is lack of basic manners.

We then went back to bed as I wasn't feeling well where the fire alarm started to go off, we checked the fire safety notice and there was no mention of a drill or testing at this time so we reluctantly got out of bed and got dressed for the alarm to stop and start again on and off which was a bit annoying.

At this point my partner headed down to reception as we felt that so many little things were starting to ruin our stay, we very very rarely complain but we were so disappointed with the way things had been going so far. After a few minutes of excuses and answers, one of which was that the pool had been broken which is why it was cold - although there were no signs anywhere to suggest this was the case - we were offered a free dinner that evening which we gladly took.

That evening we headed down for dinner where our Portugese waiter was extremely friendly and helpful - he really made us feel welcome. I had scallops and my partner had arancini to start, both were very tasty and well presented. For our mains I had steak and my partner had the chicken dish.... My steak came out by itself with no sign of my partners main course, after a few minutes our waiter came over and informed us that the chicken would be a few more minutes so I sent my dish back to be kept warm. After over 5 minutes both our dishes were served, however my side salad was warm and limp - the plate had obviously been shoved in some sort of hot cabinet or under a lamp to keep the whole plate warm, rather than just the steak. However, the steak itself was very tasty and cooked very well. My partners chicken was so dry that he couldn't eat a mouthful without taking a drink of water and the kale was so salty that he could barely swallow it. We are not fussy eaters - my boyfriend is the head chef of a very well known and respected restaurant and will always finish a plate of food - however, he genuinely could not eat anymore than 2 mouthfuls. Whilst the presentation of the food was lovely, it was practically inedible. Our waiter was very upset and offered us a glass of port each which we thought was very nice but it did not make up for the fact that our complimentary meal had further ruined our stay. We ordered 2 gin and tonics... for £12(!!) and then went upstairs to our room.

The following morning we had breakfast again and knew what to expect this time round - we asked for poached eggs, however the hogs pudding was missing again. It took 10 minutes for anyone to offer us tea or coffee and the toast that arrived at our table was burnt black!

Overall, we were very disappointed with the hotel and will not be recommending it to any of our friends or family. Whilst the castle is set in beautiful grounds and is in the stunning location of St Ives, the service and facilities available make for a very disappointing stay. I feel like many of the staff felt that we were rude and prone to complaining but I can honestly say that we very rarely complain, both of us work in hospitality and so, if anything, we take more time to praise the staff as we know that complaints are much more easily made than compliments.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank fuzzylionfeet
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
I am extremely sorry that your stay proved to be such a disappointment, and that, that disappointment was compounded by lackadaisical service. The points that you raised, regarding the food and service, have been passed to our Restaurant Manager and the Executive Chef for their imidiate attention.
Regardless of appearances, the equipment in the leisure centre is safe and in working order. I apologise for the pool's closure, it was a mechanical malfunction that was beyond our control. It has now been repaired and the pool is heated accordingly. There were signs at reception and at the gym notifying our guests of the closure.
It is very regrettable that you felt as though staff members were judging you. We certainly do not condone that type of attitude and apologise for any discomfort that it may have caused.
Based on the issues that you raised and the individual ratings that you gave to different aspects of your stay, I feel that your overall rating is harsh and unfair.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We have recently returned from a few nights away at the Tregenna Castle hotel and a whistle stop tour of storm lashed Cornwall (we stayed Thu 2 - Sun 5 Jan). The Tregenna Castle Hotel was a perfect location for our stay and whilst it was a little way from St Ives town centre, the walk to the sea front was pleasant enough.

Despite coming here as part of an extremely good deal through Amazon Local we decided to upgrade to a West Wing Sea View room and it was well worth the extra cost - our view of St Ives was stunning and the room was huge. Overall the hotel facilities were very good and although the indoor pool was unavailable during our stay (due to maintenance) this did not spoil our visit. Breakfast was excellent and despite a shortage of staff in the bar on the Friday evening which meant tables were not cleared and coffee took a long time to arrive - staff were polite helpful and keen to do all they could to make our stay a good one. I would return here.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andrea D
Thank you very much for your review and your compliments. It is very satisfying to know that you enjoyed your stay and that you would visit us again. We apologise for the closure of the pool, it has been repaired and is now up to the correct temperature. We look forward to the opportunity to welcoming you back.
Reviewed January 9, 2014

My husband and i had a weekend break back in October.We have stayed here before so new what to expect.The room was clean and had everything you needed.The bathroom was a little tired and we had water coming in the bedroom from the torrential rain.
We ordered room service one night about 8.30pm and by 9.30pm it still had not come,we phoned back and asked what had happened they had not taken the room no down correctly.!! so they had been to several rooms and then given up?Eventually at 10.00pm we got our food but it was not what i had ordered.We refused to sign the slip for our room sevice , but on departure the next day they still charged us the full amount for the food and extra for room service.! we were disappointed.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Thank you for returning to visit us again and for your review.
I am very sorry for the confusion regarding your room service order and for not receiving the correct food. You should not have been charged, certainly not for the delivery charge, either. I am very sorry for any disappointment or frustration that this incident caused you and sincerely hope that it will not deter you from visiting us again.
Wadebridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We searched on late rooms for a hotel with an indoor pool for a Saturday night break with our children. Arrived...indoor pool closed, no information given despite very few people staying. Invited to go down to the gym area anyway, which contained local muscle heads grunting away as the hotel derives income from offering cheap gym membership to locals. The jacuzzi didn't work and had eight similarly dissatisfied people sitting in it. The decor of all the hotel is shabby. Our room bath ran dark brown water which was explained as 'the pipes are old and sometimes do that when we don't have many people staying'. The coffee was cold at breakfast and staff varied from friendly and helpful to disinterested. In fairness, the hotel have offered us a repeat free stay for the future on phoning to complain and we will probably take this up (but phone to confirm facilities are functioning prior) as we went in January in the rain when options of woods walks and adventure playground were it. Hence, increased initial review from terrible to average...will be giving this hotel a second chance, but only because free second stay has been offered.

Room Tip: Check facilities are working prior to going. Don't expect a luxury spa/gym!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Colwhiting
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
We are very sorry for your dissatisfaction. The pool heating system experienced a malfunction and due to the time of year, it was difficult to source a replacement part. The problem has been identified, the part has arrived and will be installed tomorrow. (7th Jan)
We value and respect all of our patrons, whether local or from elsewhere and would only wish for you all to have a pleasant stay.
We are pleased that you have accepted our offer of a return visit and look forward to endeavouring to make your next review more positive.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay at the hotel - the rooms were clean and spacious whilst the service from the hotel staff was good and friendly. However, we were disappointed by the fact that the swimming pool was closed for the entire duration of our stay as a result of a temperature issue. We did also manage to play golf despite the weather which we enjoyed thanks to the high quality of the course. The food at breakfast and the restaurant was tasty, albeit a bit pricey. Overall, though, it was a pleasant stay and we would recommend the hotel to a friend.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind review and generous compliments. We are incredibly sorry about the situation regarding the pool and its closure. It has been addressed and will be fully operational very soon. We are very pleased that despite this inconvenience, you enjoyed your time with us and would be grateful for any recommendation that you may make.
Also consider these accommodations in or near St Ives
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Pedn Olva Hotel
Pedn Olva Hotel
#4 of 21 in St Ives

Been to Tregenna Castle Resort? Share your experiences!