Tregenna Castle Resort
The Regent(St Ives)
Western Hotel(St Ives)
The Palms(St Ives)
2,816 results
All reviewswest wingself cateringleisure facilitieslovely groundswoodland walksea viewindoor pooltennis courtssteam roomhotel groundsbuffet stylefull pricereception areaoverlooking st ivesspecial offerthe main hotelbit dated
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We have stayed at Tregenna on a number of occasions always as guests of the Crash Box Club. The weekend is excellent value for money. The staff are professional, friendly and helpful. The grounds and the views from outside the hotel are probably some of the best in Cornwall. The interior of the hotel is clean but dated. Rooms are mixed we stayed in Room 80 in the main Hotel. If it were not the fact that w were part of large party we probably would have asked for another room as it suffered from the smell of cooking being directs above the kitchens. We have in the past had much better rooms at he rear of the hotel and also in the self catering apartments which are really lovely. We will return to Tregenna for the weekend special with our friends from the Crash Box Car Club.
Value for money

Room Tip: If you wan a sea view ask for a room at the front of the hotel
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
12-Management, Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

It was lovely to have you back again as part of the Crash Box Club. We're very lucky to have some of the best views in Cornwall and enjoy them as we go about our day. The team will be delighted to hear that you found them professional, friendly and helpful - we want everyone to feel that we're here to look after them, so I'm pleased you felt this way. I was sorry to hear that you suffered from the smell of cooking though and that you felt your room was dated - we are continuously updating and refurbishing areas of the hotel. I'm delighted that you've been able to try our self catering as well as rooms in our hotel in the past and have such kind words about us. I hope you get a sea view next time and we're looking forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

I was given two vouchers for afternoon tea at the above hotel. I went to take up this gift. The setting is stunning and is very well maintained. I rang to find out if I had to book but was told I could come any time after 10 am!! for afternoon tea. On arrival I found the food was served in a room which was basically a bar. There were no tablecloths. It turned out that the 'afternoon tea' was just a cream tea which I was not expecting. It was served in a basic stainless steel teapot with no extra jug of water so only one and a half cups were available. The cream and jam was of excellent quality but the scones were of a thick consistency and were difficult to swallow. I had to actually go and fetch spoons to serve the jam and cream. The whole episode was disappointing. I have had afternoon tea in lots of places and this did not come anywhere near being good.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Ellen B
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

We are sorry that you did not care for our scones or our Brasserie restaurant, and that you took umbrage at being informed of its opening hours.
We are pleased that you took advantage of your free gift, though.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

First stayed here way back in 1968 and have been a regular visitor ever since including my eldest daughters wedding. ALL staff are excellent throughout with, Fred the Hotels Holiday Club manager, and Becky, who seems to cover everything from the restaurant to weddings, being outstanding and both are a credit to the Hotel Management. Wonderful building with great leisure club complex including indoor swimming pool, sauna, gym. So many types of accomadation from traditional hotel rooms to large spacious Swedish Pole lodges. All set in beautiful grounds of 70 acres with woodland walks and not forgetting an 18 hole golf course. There is also a great Castle Kids club for junior visitors. Last but not least by any means is the truly spectacular view across the bay covering St.Ives to Gwithian and beyond. Has to be seen to be appreciated fully.

Room Tip: Book early to be sure of a sea-view room as these are very popular and if planning a weekend stay then have alternative choice of dates as there are a great many weddings here throughout the year. If you can't stay then just pop in for a 5* cream tea or better still dinner!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Neil-KAG
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Thank you for your tremendous review and outstanding loyalty throughout the decades. Thank you also, for your kind and flattering compliments and for mentioning Fred and Becky, they were both thrilled and are sincerely grateful.
We all hope that you will return soon and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Had a groupon deal so thought it was great value but would be a lot more critical if I had paid the advertised rates. Was concerned when I went into the room to see 3 single beds close together but then realised this was a family room & round the corner was a double bed with plenty of space. The furnishings were good quality but dated and the bath was chipped.rusty, had purple stains & the dreaded shower curtain. The shower however was new and efficient & the towels were lovely. Internet not available in rooms but worked well in the main corridor. Decorating was tatty in places but it must be like The Forth Bridge & there were decorators working in various places. Breakfast was excellent with everything replaced promptly, fresh fruit & friendly service. The best aspect of the estate was the grounds. Even on a cold March day the clematis amandii in the walled garden & the camelias were lovely. The walk down to St Ives was a pleasure with great views of the bay & the town & very well maintained. If I got a deal I would go again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank beaney50
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and for your objectivity and compliments.
You are correct with your observation that the maintenance is an ongoing process, we do certainly try to address any issues immediately.
We regularly have special offers available, if you gave us your email address during your reservation or during your stay, we will send you details of them as they occur. Alternatively, they are always listed on our website.
I hope that we will see you again, soon.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

My partner and I had a wowcher deal and for an upgrade of £20 we were given a fabulous room on the lower ground floor with the most incredible views of St. Ives. The bed was huge - and so comfortable. After spending 2 hours on the M25 before reaching the M3 our journey time from Kent was about 8 hours - so we were exhausted. That first night's sleep was the best I've ever had in a hotel - I don't think I moved all night.
We had a 20% discount off dinner in the restaurant - not to be confused with the Brasserie which would have been full price - and for a 3-course meal we paid £36.and odd pence which was the discount price. The food was beautifully cooked and presentation was immaculate.
The breakfast was self-service with waiters on hand to fetch toast, decaffeinated coffee and anything else that was required. There was plenty of choice and it was all very well presented and cooked. As soon as a bowl was almost finished, another was brought out immediately.
The grounds are just immaculate (sorry for the repetition - but superlatives are hard to not repeat!) and I can imagine someone having a beautiful wedding reception in the grounds or in the Castle itself.
The staff couldn't have been more helpful or pleasant; nothing was too much trouble and we were greeted with beaming smiles on arrival and each morning for breakfast.
The only negative for us was that we had someone above us and from 6.30 a.m. onwards they continually walked backwards and forwards presumably from the bathroom as they possibly went into an early breakfast. The creaking floor was a bit of a nuisance and woke us both up. But there isn't anything you can do about that in a castle that is over 200 years old.
I would come back to Tregenna Castle again and again - with or without a wowcher deal. It really is a magical place and its position - overlooking the bay of St. Ives - couldn't be more ideal.

Room Tip: Our room was superb and it is well worth asking for a sea view. We spoke to someone who was above the gym and we were told that the constant thumping beat became unbearable so they asked to be moved.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lazypaws_Kent

Thank you very much for your lovely review, your wonderful compliments and for rating us with five stars.
We are all extremely glad that you enjoyed your time with us and are pleased that you will come back and visit us again.
Our Executive Chef was grateful that you gave the food's quality and aesthetics a special mention and sends you his thanks.