“Don't be put off by the reviews”

Tregenna Castle Resort
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
England
“Don't be put off by the reviews”
Reviewed April 29, 2008

I am also glad I didn't take any notice of the reviews! we had a fab room which was huge and a view to die for, evening meal was ok and the breakfast was good with nice thick bacon!!!

Ask for one of the large west wing room with sea view and you shouldn't be disappointed. Just watch out for the Magpie if you leave the window open, he flies in, lands on the dressing table looks around and flies back out.

• Liked — Our room
  • Disliked — Bar
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (864)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Cornwall
Reviewed April 23, 2008

Thank God I wasnt!!...I booked a 1 night DB&B special April deal for my partners birthday at Tregenna, for £39pp...Then, I read the Trip Advisor reviews!!! I was so diappointed, and thought I was heading for the worst hotel in the world. Naturally worried, I rang the hotel, and discussed my concerns. Staff were helpful, and as it was a special occassion I got upgraded to a superior sea view room. Normally £60 pp, but paid £50 pp, so i felt a little happier....Now, you must remember, as I did, that THIS IS A 3 STAR HOTEL...NOT A 4 OR 5, so please don't go there expecting this standard, which is what im sure some previous reviewers did....This was by far the best 3 star hotel ive ever stayed at!!! Wow, was my first impression, as was everyones. The grounds are amazing. I urge you to go out and explore them. The views are the best in Cornwall, and I live here! The reception is bright clean, and adequate. Staff helpful and friendly. Ok so the coridors are a little dated, but im not sleeping in the corridor! First impression of the room again was Wow!! Huge room, with a seperate dressing room and bathroom. Not contemporary or modern but it added character to what is a very old building. Tea coffee biscuits etc supplied. Oh and the bed was comfy although it was 2 singles pushed together. Not lumpy or scratchy at all! The shower is definately 3 star though, dont expect a power shower...but it did the job! The views made up for any downfalls you might notice (ask for room 144!) Dinner was a 3 course carvery..starters a little bland, carvery basic, but edible...The wine list was fine. I wouldnt eat there again, unless its included in the price on a special deal. I thought the food was OK, but my partner wasn't impressed.
The hotel bar was a friendly place. Staff were jolley and chatty. Breakfast, no real complaints, but the waitressess were a bit too occupied with catching up with each other than getting my toast, but hey, this is Cornwall, and eveyone is a little more relaxed....Now the leisure facilities, were fine! Ive never been to a hotel with a badminton court before. It was in an outbuilding that defintely could have done with an update, but the court was fine! The pool jacuzzi etc was lovely.................So overall, I didn't want to leave and really enjoyed my stay...10 minute walk to st ives, perfect location. However I wouldnt be prepared to pay much more than what I did..After all, it is only a 3 star! And with a little work, It could be so much more!!!

• Liked — Views, Gounds and the room
  • Disliked — Probably the Carvery.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Shell1978
Dartmoor National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2008

Beautiful setting. Lovely location. Magnificent building. Outrageously expensive. Bar staff very good...the rest particularly those in the restaurant at breakfast time and those at reception all the time were awful. Have never been to a Butlins but would imagine that it would have been better than this. Breakfast in the cookhouse in the army was better presented. Room was large but dated and badly furnished/equipped...well for £80 a night it would have been but we were paying £150...! Bathroom was falling to pieces with tiles hanging off the bath and unused rawlplug holes left for all to see. Feel really cheated. Sadly the clientle, particularly those on the Friday night were equally bad...the behaviour and language throughout the whole of the public areas on the ground floor was appalling but seemingly deemed as acceptable by the hotel staff. We didn't complain directly to the hotel as we were with friends who had booked the weekend for us and we did not want to upset them but please think twice before booking this place.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price, attitude of staff, standard of accommodation and price again...!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank CAHA
Devon
Reviewed March 15, 2008

After spending much time looking at other reviews, my dreams of a luxurious night in a castle had been somewhat dampened....
It was exactly as expected, amazing views blah blah... This is obviously the selling point for the hotel and probably the main reason it hasn't been bought by a well known Westcountry business man or indeed closed down! The hotel did smell of rotting vegetables, the staff were not professional or well trained. They don't appear to be proud or happy in their work. When I rang the reception bell to check in, I was met with a look that a teacher would give you when you missed a coursework deadline.. One female receptionist asked us to pass a phone message on to a friend (we were in a large party) another friend replied 'I think it's best that you do that'.. Do you want us to do the washing up too?!? The room was large, the bath looked like it had been installed around 100 years ago, but the new white tiles just made it look even worse. There was a dirty patch on my duvet and my hairdrier did not work. These are basic things that would simply not happen in a Travelodge. Attached to the keys of the room is something that resembles a mini baseball bat, handy if you meet any strange ghouls or odd people in the long and winding corridors at night. The food scraped average, and I wasn't even paying for it. We had a carvery, there was a poor selection of vegetables, jacket potatoes at lunchtime, they looked like they had been squashed or possibly re-heated. Odd breakfast, bit like a treasure hunt, things scattered all over the huge, but deserted dining area, terrible quality sausages, Jamie Oliver would have a fit!
They failed to inform us that scaffolding was being erected outside some of the rooms, It looked as though there were a lot of workmen around, but not sure exactly what they were doing, maybe it is about to undergo a much needed overhaul.... This place would be great for work related events, conferences etc, and the self catering lodges would be great. On my departure it was absolutely pouring down, when I looked in my rear view mirror there was something bright and blue, was it the sky? Was the sun about to Shine on Tregenna? No, it was the big frozen food delivery van behind me...........

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — state of hotel
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
4 Thank Dev0nmaid
somerset
Reviewed February 29, 2008

Dreadful shame! this beautiful setting above the St Ives Bay should have been an amazing experience, but it wasn't. Our family room was damp, mouldy and dirty. Even the curtains had mildew on them. Hotel was very busy so we couldn't be moved. We complained bitterly but was disregarded by rude desk staff. No managers ever seemed to be on site, and we were told we would have to write to the management regarding complaints.

They don't deserve your custom! Stay somewhere else. There are plenty of fabulous establishments in the vacinity, but don't let this put you off St Ives. The town is amazing, and the restaurants and very good, and plentiful.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — Dirty and damp.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank mickeyfinnSomerset
TregennaDM, Deputy Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, April 30, 2008
Hello, I would just like to take the opportunity to tell past, present and future guests about our exciting refurbishment. All the hotel bedrooms, foyer and a majority of the self catering units have been refurbished. Most of the rooms now have flat screens televisions and sofas.The bathrooms are being refurbished later in the year.
The majority of our guests are repeat stays or recommended which we value greatly.
As with any business we are constantly striving to upgrade our facilities and feedback good or bad is welcomed. Our guests are valued and there is always a manager available to address any queries. If a guest has a problem we would prefer to have the opportunity to rectify it at the time so that the guest has a good holiday .
Julie Evans
Deputy Manager

exeter
Reviewed January 14, 2008

okay from the outside this looks fabulous. the grounds and view are great too. as it was dec we didn't get outside much but in summer i would think it would be very nice.
the location is not too bad, out of the busy st ives but not too far.
inside is a different story. they could make this place great but it just looks messy and shabby. it's got so much potential which hasn't been picked up on.
We had a family room for £130. it had 3 single beds and a double - so plenty of room! it was quite grim and dark though. It wasn't dirty but you felt as though everything was so old.
The beds were pretty uncomfortable, but it was quiet.
The one thing that really stood out though were the staff. The reception staff were lovely and very helpful.
The breakfast didn't look appetising to me but i can be fussy - i couldn't eat a thing. my husband seemed to think it was okay though.

• Liked — the outside
  • Disliked — the inside
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank ballerina
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2008

I stayed in this hotel for a conference so used the hotel and conference facilities.

My room was basic, small telly, window on to a courtyard (not a picturesque one) and a little tatty.

The rooms in this hotel are a little out of place in such a building. The building is Edwardian/Victorian camp and is wonderful, and the gardens are really very nice indeed. It's such a shame that the rooms don't reflect this standard and are in real need of a refit.

Having said that, the surroundings were infinitely superior to a travel lodge, and the facilities were at least present. I paid £60 for dinner, bed and breakfast, which whilst off season is still a fantastically cheap price.

The long lobby was being refloored whilst we were there, which also wasn't ideal, but in the end it wasn't a problem.

I would not recommend this hotel to people who are looking for a luxury retreat, but if you are looking for something cheap and cheerful, I don't think you can get a lot better.

Would I rather have stayed in the travel lodge? NO is the very simple answer to that.

Would I stay again? Probably not, but only because I'd go self catering if I made the effort to go down for a holiday.

• Liked — The location and the gardens
  • Disliked — The fact that it was so tatty.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
Pedn Olva Hotel
#4 of 21 in St Ives
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa

Been to Tregenna Castle Resort? Share your experiences!