“All round a very good hotel”

Tregenna Castle Resort
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
England
“All round a very good hotel”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This was my my sixth stay in the tregenna over the past few years. I have stayed for both business and leisure. The hotel is over 200 years old and therefore requires a lot of maintenance. I have noticed that the hotel undergoes almost constant decoration etc. The rooms are clean, comfortable and in good decorative order. The public areas have been preserved in their original style. The gardens are impressive and well maintained. The gym, pool and spa area are a welcome retreat to a chilly spring day. There were a couple of downsides to our recent stay:1. The heating was not working in the room we were originally allocated. However, it was explained that some piping had been replaced and this had caused some problems with the heating system. We were promptly moved to another comfortable room. 2. The pool temperature was a little cool. This was no problem for me as i was still able to have a swim. Other guests had commented that they informed hotel staff of this. Breakfast is more than adequate. All in all i would highly recommend a stay at the tregenna.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you very much for your loyalty over the past few years, we are grateful for your return custom.
Thank you as well, for noticing our constant efforts to upgrade and renovate. We do try, but occasionally our hard work goes unnoticed.
I hope that you will be gracing us with visit number seven, soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (864)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

After booking this initially as a 'dirty weekend away' looking at the website Myself and My partner saw that it catered for weddings and quite basically said sod it lets get married whilst we are there if we can!! I called Tregenna and spoke to Will who over the phone provisionally booked the date (23/02/13), even then he was calm and although I was full of questions and queries he alleviated my fears. After phone calls and emails over Christmas and new year, the 22nd Feb was upon us and we were travelling down to St Ives. On arrival, from first contact with George who was on the entrance driveway I knew that everything was going to be fine. The drive from the road to the castle was breathtaking, the view over St Ives bay and the gardens were amazing. We were very early arriving at Tregenna went in (to be nosey more than anything) OMG, when we walked in I was blown away.........not because it was this trendy boutique hotel, but because it was a castle, the whole demeanor of the entrance heavy doors, hall that screamed CASTLE.........leather sofa's Grandfather clocks, Grand Piano beautiful!!!!!! Lisa & Lynne who were on reception were so friendly, made us feel more than welcome and when I explained that we were getting married the next day, were more excited for us, than we were!!!! We asked to see Will just to discuss bits and pieces, and he was there and what a Gent, I really don't know what I was so nervous about. After a short trip down into St Ives, we returned to the rooms ready, and an easy check in. Our room absolutely perfect, sea view four poster, clean just lovely. Dont get me wrong, it is a 200yr old castle and there was some tatty paint in the bathroom, but as I laid in the bath with oodles of hot water there was nothing that I could fault. I had a beauty treatment booked at 3pm, just a bit of pampering pre wedding..........again OMG, the 'girls' in the beauty centre were great, the treatment was out of this world, and so professionally delivered. My mum needed a manicure and they booked her in for 9am the next morning with no bother at all. My mother in law had a bit of a chilly room and I'm a bit of a lizard hate the cold, but I could not complain about our room it was perfect. The morning of the wedding I went down to breakfast with Mum, the breakfast room was bright and airy, the food on offer was fresh and plentiful, and the coffee hot and not stewed, the staff friendly and attentive absolutely nothing that I could fault. After breakfast I went for a swim, not a purpose built environment, but the water was clean, albeit slightly cold, and perfectly serviceable. Had a jacuzzi, after which was divine, sauna again divine, really hot not lukewarm like I have encountered elsewhere. Was feeling really nervous at this point and Sam came to my rescue, bringing me a large Hendricks!!! It was then time to have hair and make up done........Sarah Veal the hairdresser at Tregenna, another thing that I was slightly worried about........Why??? I have no idea!!! She was so lovely, and so professional having never met pre this, she made my hair look amazing and Penny the make up lady was brilliant also..........I shouldn't have worried at all. Becky and Zoe the 2 staff that dealt with the wedding were so good always there when needed but conspicuous also, cant fault these two at all. The last thing that could have gone wrong was the wedding breakfast................and it blew us and our guests away. The taste, freshness, creativity and attention to detail was second to none, down to the cornish pasties that we asked for for the evening......perfect. The hard work, professionalism and dedication to Tregenna from the persons mentioned in this review is unrivalled, I cannot Fault or Thank Tregenna, Will, George, Lisa, Lynne, Julie, Sam, Becky, Zoe, Sarah or Penny enough for making Our special Day/Weekend so so memorable and Perfect.

Room Tip: If able add on a sea view for a supplement its well worth it
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Wow, what a review! Thank you very much.
We remember you and your wedding, fondly and sincerely admire your spontaneity.
We wish you and your new husband the best of luck for the future and also thank you for your plethora of compliments.
All of the staff that you listed, were thrilled to get a mention, especially Will who got three, I believe!
We truly hope that you will come back and visit us again, perhaps for that weekend you mentioned.
Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a romantic weekend break at Treganna Castle.The staff were friendly and made us feel comfortable as soon as we entered. The room was clean and light, though, perhaps slightly dated in decor. The food was delicious and we had a lovely time.Would recommend to all.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
We are very pleased that you chose us for your romantic getaway and that you had a good time.
Thank you for your review, your compliments, any recommendations and for rating us with five stars.
We hope to see you back again soon.
Matlock, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2013

With two friends we stayed on the 24th 25th & 26th February 2013. Our short break was through a TravelZoo deal and was extremely good value. We asked in advance for rooms with a sea view (supplement payable) and although rooms 3 & 9 were on the lower ground floor in the main hotel, we could see the bay. The rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable with a generous supply of tea, coffe and milk. There was plenty of room in the bathroom and the shower was excellent. We used the gym, steam room and sauna and these facilities were perfectly adequate (our friends used the pool and said that the water temperature was a lot lower than the 29 degrees advertised). The restaurant produced quite acceptable dinners and there was quite a wide choice on the breakfast buffet menu.
The staff were unfailingly cheerful and helpful.
It is possible to walk in to St Ives from the hotel in 15 minutes but be aware that it is all uphill on the way back!

Room Tip: Our two friends and ourselves asked for rooms with sea views. We were given rooms 3 and 9 on the low...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
We are pleased that you were able to take advantage of one of our special offers and also make use of our facilities.
Thank you for your review and for your compliments. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Plymouth, Devon
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We were treated to a weekend away by my daughter & familly for a christmas present and what a lovely weekend. The staff were extremely efficient and friendly our room was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was the best I have ever had away. It was set in beautiful grounds just wish the weather had been warmer.

Room Tip: Would be nice to have a sea view
1 Thank jenny b
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Your comments regarding our breakfast buffet were passed to our Breakfast Chef, who was very pleased to read them and sends you his thanks.
Thank you for your compliments and for your review.
It may not have been warm, but at least it was dry! I hope that you will have warmer weather should you choose to visit us again.
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Staff are friendly, welcoming and efficient....dinner either from the a la carte menu or daily special was truly delicious ! We agree with other reviewers that our room and bathroom were rather dated, but nonetheless clean and functional. The hotel has a magnificent vista over St. Ives Bay, an easy 20 minute walk downhill through gardens with tree ferns, a waterfall....so beautiful ! We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to family & friends and will return again as soon as possible.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review and for your wonderful compliments. Thank you for rating us with five stars, too.
We are extremely pleased that you had a great time, with us and sincerely hope that you will visit us again.
Teignmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We have just visited for the first time on the Taste of Tregenna break after being recommended. We upgraded to a sea view in the West Wing and stayed an additional night.
We had a brilliant time and could not fault anything. The staff were friendly and courteous, we had a lovely room with an enormous and very comfortable double bed, and the meals were excellent. Can recommend the crab sandwiches and the cream teas in addition to the breakfast and evening meals in the restaurant.
For the ideal break, you do not even need to go out of the hotel and grounds which are very well maintained. Take the woodland walk down to the main road and within 10 minutes you are in St Ives, much easier than trying to take the car and find parking.
Would thoroughly recommend staying here, the hotel has character which you do not get in modern hotels and sad to see some complaints regarding the limited use for wi-fi (what happened to old fashioned conversation!)

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 62 - West Wing sea view. When sitting on the sofa at the end of the bed, we had a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
We are very happy that you came to us as the result of a recommendation (and would like to thank whomever recommended us, to you) and even happier that you stayed an extra day.
Thank you very much for your compliments, your review and for rating us with five stars.
We truly appreciate, and thank you for, any recommendations that you may make. We hope that we see you here again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near St Ives
Pedn Olva Hotel
#4 of 21 in St Ives
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa

Been to Tregenna Castle Resort? Share your experiences!