“Excellent Cuisine”

Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Solihull,England
“Excellent Cuisine”
Reviewed November 9, 2011

My husband and I spent a few days at the Tregenna Castle last month (Oct 11) within the hotel accommodation and had an excellent time ! However the highlight most definately was the food . Both nights we ate in the Restaurant selecting from both the A La Carte and Bistro menus, the fine attention to detail and attentive service all added up to an outstanding culinery experience! The hotel itself is set in magnificent surroundings with well tended gardens and sweeping views of St Ives Bay. The circular woodland walk surrounding the Golf Course is a must,as is the Coastal footpath walk up to Carbis Bay and Lelant.The Spa facilities provided a retreat in poor weather however I felt this was the only area of the hotel that needed a little bit of attention , the pool in particular seemed a little neglected and 'worn'.

Room Tip: Avoid the one above the bar area , can be noisy !
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank deb1234
OpsDir, Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, November 11, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review - and such a positive one - you loved our food! I will be sure to pass your comments along to our chefs and waiting staff. Everyone works very hard to make our guest's stays the best that they can be, so it is very rewarding for the team to hear that they have done such a good job. I'm so glad you had such a nice time with us and we hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (864)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Like many others reviewing their stay at Tregenna Castle Hotel we went as part of the off peak deal £140 for 2 nights that includes 'dinner' on the first night. Unfortunately the meal was possibly one of the worst carveries I have ever eaten. It lacked any flavor and was, in my opinion utterly inedible (we left most of it despite being hungry). The prawn cocktail was toecurlingly 1970's and not in a good 'retro' way! I suspect their claim that their 'team' of chefs' source locally produced food stretches to the local cash and carry. Upon leaving the dining room we complained to the well mannered, kind receptionist who requested we put our complaint in writing which we did. As yet we have heard nothing in response which makes me wonder why I bothered.
We upgraded our room to include a sea view. And what a view. I recommend you do the same because it is worth every penny. Our room was large and clean as was the bathroom. The only real drawback was that it was very chilly and lacked any atmosphere. In fact the entire hotel lacks atmosphere and we really only used it as a place to sleep preferring instead to spend our time and money in the local pubs, cafes and restaurants of St Ives. Do not be tempted to part with your cash in the bar unless you enjoy the mind-numbing tedium of tv sports playing to a depressingly empty (recently refurbished) room.
The grounds are lovely and the walk into St Ives is really REALLY easy. We walked back once and took it nice and slow but the taxi fare back is only £5 so we cheated and fed the local taxi economy instead! Overall this hotel is adequate but nothing special.

Room Tip: Pay for a sea view - it's worth every penny. Do NOT eat at Tregenna Castle.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Manchester
Reviewed November 8, 2011

We stayed in one of the self catering cottages - the stunning views and surroundings make you feel as if you are really special.
There are plenty of walks in the area and if the weather is bad then you can use the facilities of the hotel (pool, gym, spa etc).
We ate in the hotel and were pleasantly surprised by the great value for money - we thought it would be much more expensive than it was just because you were using the hotel restaurant. NOt only that the food and service we got was excellent - will definatlyey stay here again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
OpsDir, Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, November 9, 2011
Wow! What an amazing review - 5 out of 5 for everything... thank you so much! I am delighted that you had such a good stay and that you felt special - we try to make sure that all of our guests feel that way, so I am so pleased you did. We are very lucky that we have such an amazing location right at the top of St.Ives with amazing views, yet still and easy stroll into town, so I'm pleased you liked the walks around us. I hope that we will be able to give you a special Cornish stay again soon.
Kingsteignton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2011

I have just come back from a great weekend away where me and my partner attended a wedding at the Castle. Everything about the weekend was perfect. Our room was Amazing we had a Sea View room on the west wing and paid £155 for 2 nights on the BOGOF offer. Breakfast was brilliant Buffet Cooked breakfast then a selection of Cereals and fruit etc. I wold highly reccommend people that are thinking about staying is to request a Sea view room.

I am definantely returning and going to bring my little one as the facilities were great and think he would love them and also the Beach is not far.

Thanks to all the staff for being so friendly and helpful see you soon

Room Tip: Request West Wing Sea View 138 was lovely!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Hello Kate. Thank you for such a positive review - a wedding is a lovely way to come and spend some time at the castle. I'm so pleased that you say that "everything about the weekend was perfect" - what a fantastic comment. I will be sure to let the team know that you had a good time and felt that they were friendly and helpful. I hope you will visit us soon with your little one - dont forget we have Castle Kids which is Ofsted approved as "Outstanding" - we have all kinds of fun things for the little people to do! Keep an eye on our website and Twitter for more special offers and I hope that we will see you again soon.
Plymouth England
Reviewed November 7, 2011

We have stayed at Tregenna Castle a few times. It is the ideal place for a lazy break. The hotel is situated overlooking St. Ives and affords wonderful views of the coast. The hotel has large rooms, many of which overlook the bay. It also boasts excellent facilities which include a health spa, swimming pools and many sports facilities including a golf course. It is set in extensive grounds in which there is a beautiful sub-tropical garden in which to relax and enjoy.
The restaurant offers a varied a'la Carte menu or you can choose the table d'hôte option.
St Ives is just a pleasant, short stroll away through the hotel grounds, a lovely Cornish town with beautiful beaches.

• Stayed April 2011
OpsDir, Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, November 8, 2011
Hello Dave and Ali. What an amazing review - thank you. Five out of five for location and service and four out of five for the other three categories! It sounds like you had a lovely time and made full use of all of the facilities available to our guests. You cant beat our natural asset of such amazing views and St.Ives is a beautiful place to visit. We are very lucky to have such a location and very pleased to be able to share it! We hope you come back soon for another relaxing weekend!
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2011

just returned from a wonderful week end at Tregenna with all the family had one of the apartments which were excellent everything you could possibly need and very clean my daughter and family had a double room with adjoining room with two bunk beds for the children and we all had a great time hotel very clean breakfast supurb plenty of everything
I know it is a bit tired in places but this is a castle for goodness sake not a premier inn.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
OpsDir, Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, November 7, 2011
Hello Gerry, thank you for posting a review. I'm pleased you had such a lovely time in one of our apartments. Tregenna is a great place to spend time as a family, so I'm delighted you could all come together and take advantage of our family accomodation. As you say, being a castle means we have to work hard on a continuing programme of renovations and improvements - without destroying the historic feel of the castle and grounds. I'm delighted that you feel we have got the balance right. I hope that we will see you all again soon for another Cornish family holiday.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2011

I stayed here for two nights after me and my boyfriend decided on a whim. Driving up to the hotel you could mistakenly think you were in some film set, it was grand, imposing and felt very special. We got a very good deal, buy one night and get the second night free so for £115 for two nights, two people and two breakfasts we felt this was very good value. The staff were very helpful and accomodating and were more then happy to answer all of our questions. A very good location, and a good place to relax whilst enjoying a bit of comfort. You can take part in a game of tennis, a round of golf or enjoy the indoor heated swimming pool and pamper session or if you prefer you can just relax and chill out with a drink taking in the views over the bay of St Ives. Our room was at the front of the hotel so we could see the tennis court, the golf course and a part sea view. Although the hotel is very old and our bathroom could do with a update, the room was clean and spacious, providing everything we needed for our stay. Would I recommend it - yes, and planning on sending the parents there for their wedding anniversary next year!

Room Tip: We had a room at the front of the hotel - number 75. It was quiet and you did not get disturbed by...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for such a lovely review Michelle! We feel that Tregenna Castle is really special, so we are pleased that you thought so too. We are very lucky to have the most amazing setting - you're right, it is like stepping into a film set!

I'm glad you were able to take advantage of one of our special offers. It's a lovely way to come and experience all that Tregenna has to offer. I hope that your parents have an equally nice stay and we very much look forward to giving them a special Tregenna welcome for their anniversary.
Also consider these accommodations in or near St Ives
Pedn Olva Hotel
#4 of 21 in St Ives
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa

Been to Tregenna Castle Resort? Share your experiences!