“Spa day”
Review of St Ives HarSPA

St Ives HarSPA
More attraction details
Owner description: The Spa features a indoor pool and swimming Jet, areas for relaxation, a hydrotherapy pool, sauna, crystal steam room, state-of-the-art fitness suite, four treatment rooms and a rest and refresh area. Towels will be provided as well as complimentary herbal teas and water for rehydration and relaxation.
Reviewed May 8, 2018

Visited St Ives Harbour Hotel for a girlie spa day, on arrival we were greeted by friendly staff in the spa, where we were giving our locker keys which consisted of robe slippers and towel. Facilities were very clean and relaxing throughout, there was tea and coffee available in the relaxation room. Treatment rooms were nice and relaxing (although it would hv been nice, the room I had didn’t have any relaxing room to which the member of staff apologised for). The views from the balcony where there are sun loungers overlooking the beach was breathtaking. After our treatment we went to the outside seating area near the restaurant for afternoon tea, which was lovely fresh sandwiches and cakes,the staff were excellent and nothing was to much trouble. We were lucky the sun came out which added to it being a fantastic day can’t wait to visit here again.

All reviews
in 2 reviews
"st"
"ives"

Reviewed February 15, 2018

On holiday for a week with my husband in St Ives, during which it was his birthday, I noticed a 'Romantic Couples Valentine's Spa Day' on offer at the Harbour Hotel. I love spa days and treatments and it's something I do regularly but never before with my husband so decided to treat him. The package, which had to be paid for up front, was a morning or afternoon spa session, a treatment each and a bottle of prossecco to 'share while enjoying the spa facilities'. I booked us in for 3pm and went into the spa area at 3.15pm. There were only about six loungers, all taken, so we put our things on a wooden bench in a recessed area and then went into the pool looking forward to doing some gentle laps. However, after a couple of minutes at least a dozen children, several of them large teenagers, came into the spa area and made a bee line for the pool - jumping in over our heads, throwing balls about, constantly splashing us in the face and making an absolute racket. It's a small pool, we were hemmed into a corner and it was most unpleasant so we got out. My husband said he'd read his book and I went in the sauna - but the noise was deafening even in there - so I came out to find my husband unable to read for the same reason. We thought we might find the noise more bearable in the jacuzzi but as we were about to move over to it one of the staff came in and put a rope across it with a sign saying it was 'temporarily unavailable'. Personally, I think that was purely to stop the children using it as adults had been in it before they arrived. As the only option left, we went to the 'relaxation area' - a tiny, dark room with four loungers next to the reception. So...it was impossible to read and not at all relaxing due to loud on-going conversations at the reception and people clattering up and down the wooden spiral staircase right outside the room. My husband then went for his treatment and waited in the hotel bar while I had mine. The treatment itself was a back, neck, head and face massage. I asked for medium pressure - and would not have liked to sample firm as it was at times so hard I yelped in pain - but the therapist didn't take the cue and it left me feeling like I'd been run over by a steam roller, painful to the touch the next day.

I had also booked an early sitting for the hotel's Valentine's dinner after our spa day and had asked to have the bottle of prosecco then, with food and thank goodness I did. I can't imagine how anyone could be expected to enjoy - let alone find it 'romantic' - to sip fizz while squashed into an alcove on an uncomfortable slatted wooden bench!

If Ibook a 'Couples Valentine's Spa Day' I don't expect to find myself in the middle of a kids club, unable to use any of the facilities, to sit comfortably, to read a book or even hear myself think. I expect a peaceful, quiet, comfortable environment where adults can relax and enjoy the facilities. If it had been mentioned that the spa area would also be open to children of all ages I wouldn't have had the spa package for free - let alone paid for it - and I think it was mis-sold. When going for my treatment the therapist asked if we were enjoying the spa and said she would tell reception staff we weren't happy after I told her it was the worst spa day I ever experienced, but nobody offered an apology or even spoke to us about it.

On a general note, the whole spa is badly configured with poor use of the limited space. The relaxation room should be in a quiet location, more loungers are needed plus some ordinary pool chairs as an alternative to the alcove benches. Also ensure use of the facilities is programmed so 'spa days' offer an exclusive, special environment rather than one akin to the local Council-run pool or Mediterranean hotel in the school holidays.

3  Thank mancitygirl
Reviewed January 26, 2018

Lovely staff made my Mum so welcome for a little 80th birthday manicure! She absolutely loved it. Thank you to all

Reviewed December 15, 2017 via mobile

Had the most awful massage and facial which is such a shame as I had visited this spa a few years ago and found it really good.
Spa was lovely and clean plus friendly staff on reception but felt more stressed when I came out due to the pressure being used on my back. In the end I had to ask the therapist to stop doing it as it was making my shoulders sore.
The same pressure was then used on the facial which was very unpleasant and not relaxing at all.
Such a shame as this was a early Xmas present to myself.

2  Thank Nicki M