“Old World Charm”

Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Poole, United Kingdom
“Old World Charm”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

This hotel is situated within walking distance to the town. The seasonal bus will get you back up the hill!
The food here is outstanding by any standard. imaginative evening dinners which are beautifully presented. The breakfast menu and buffet are also a high standard.
The grounds may need a little attention, but this is compensated for by the lovely scenery.

Our room was clean. And comfortable
Perhaps the hotel is expensive, but this must be due to the demand in St Ives.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anne H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

We stayed for 1 night and really enjoyed it.The views are fantastic.The walk to the town is reasonably short but the walk back is a little steep.I loved the position and the fact the hotel is different to most other hotels.The food is good and the staff very helpful.I couldn't get wifi in my room but could in the bar area.The drive up the narrow lane to the hotel was scary but we found a different way going out of town.I definitely would stay here again.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

Found through the recommendations of other Trip advisor contributors. A very big thank you to those who had written a review. What an outstanding place. If you are looking for modern and a real happening thing, this is not the place for you. But if you are looking for serenity, excellent staff and service, clean rooms, sea and shore panoramic views, health and fitness facilities, then this is the place. I have travelled extensively around the world and enjoyed many hotel accommodations, but this hotel I must say ranks with the best of them. The Hotel nestles on the hillside of St Ives and overlooks the ocean, beaches and village of St Ives. So obviously it is a steep walk down and back from the village and Harbour but worth the effort. If you are mobility challenged, I suggest you obtain transport. The meals we enjoyed were sensational and not expensive. The staff and owners were simply wonderful and extremely helpful. Fantastic, what a little gem, thank you so much to the excellent staff and owners.

Room Tip: I think all rooms overlook the ocean but not to sure, so you may want to check.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank yannaki2013
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

I stayed at the Garrack for two nights while I was on business in St Ives. I had a lovely spacious room on the ground floor, No 11. The facilities for a small hotel were impressive, including a bar, beautiful restaurant and swimming pool. It is located at the top of a very steep hill along a lane. Walking down into town is not a problem but walking back up is not for the faint hearted. I got to know the ACE Taxis men really well during my visit. Reception staff were friendly. I didn't have dinner but I did have breakfast both days. I recommend trying the vegetarian poached eggs on spinach with cheese sauce to which I added extra bacon. Just one point if the owners are reading this, leave out the banana from the breakfast fruit salad. Yuk! If you are interested in the Leach Pottery it is really close by, within 10mins walking distance.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank PurpleKim1
Great Malvern, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014

My wife and I together with my brother and sister in law have just spent 3 days at this hotel.
Let's get the good features out of the way first. The location was excellent with stunning views over the The Island and Porthmeor Beach. The waitresses were attentive, polite and efficient. The evening meals were very good and the Cream Teas in the Cafe were delicious. The waitress there went to great lengths to meet our needs.
Now I'm afraid the poor points. The rooms were very small, poorly furnished and the decor tired.
The lights did not work properly in our bathroom. The floor creaked wherever you trod, the bed was not particularly comfortable, being two singles joined together. My wife could not open the wardrobe door as it was off its runner. Although the fire doors were fitted with closers they all needed adjustment as the doors closed with a resounding "bang". The Wi-fi reception was terrible, I could only pick up a signal in Reception area. The full English Breakfast was not very appetising and on one morning I noticed mould on a slice of toast. We did experience the power tripping out on two mornings but in fairness we did receive a reduction in our final bill for these occurrences.
At £170 per night for bed and breakfast this hotel is grossly over priced and does not represent good value.

Room Tip: Cannot comment on other rooms but for Room 22 the stunning sea view was its only redeeming feature
6 Thank Howard A
Menheniot, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

My Partner and I stayed here for 2 nights bank holiday weekend. The hotel is lovely the food is really delightful we ate breakfast and dinner both days and the service very good and welcoming. The location is great for getting to St Ives but beware a very steep walk back up the hill to the hotel. The views are amazing, we used the pool which probably needs some attention but nice all the same. No lockers for valuables so keep them in your room. The room we stayed in was in the newer part overlooking the bay with massive windows the rooms are average and comfortable, wouldn't pay what we did for the room it was the added bonus of the view the original old hotel beauty the food and the welcome. Enjoyed having a romantic dinner and then sitting in one of the lounges after with after dinner drinks.
The real downside is our room was not cleaned the next day r the towels replaced and at the price we paid I would have definitely expected that and even though we informed them on leaving there was no offer of apology or anything which I think was very poor. Would definitely go again but would absolutely expect the room to be cleaned and towels replaced

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank joanne f
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014

Just returned from a much looked forward to break, however the accommodation fell far short of expectations. The hotel enjoys a stunning location but the interior is tired and dated. Our room was generous in size with sea view but lacked any style and the bed was extremely soft, tatty and uncomfortable. Our bedding was not change during our 3 night stay which is not what we are used to. No drinking water or glasses were provided, ice is chargeable and there was no fridge in room. We ate in the restaurant the first night but found the food tasteless although it was well presented, my Dover sole was almost definitely frozen and mushy. At 9pm we were the only people in the restaurant and the waitress kept thundering in and out laying up tables noisily for breakfast,we took coffee in the bar before heading back to our room. Luckily this was not typical of her young colleague. The weekend was more than compensated by the fantastic weather and of course all that Cornwall has to offer!

Room Tip: Check the room's facilities
2 Thank Jacqui F