“Excellent for short breaks”
Review of Pedn Olva Hotel

Pedn Olva Hotel
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Cheddar, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent for short breaks”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

The hotel staff were very friendly and welcoming. The hotel itself is warm and comfortably lit. The bar is comfortable and comprehensive. Bar snacks are fast, good value, tasty and well presented. The hotel restaurant offers a fair range of food and does not disappoint in terms of quality or value. Other restaurants in St Ives can offer a higher level of excellence, however. Location is fabulous for a short break, so if you're in doubt l'd advise you to book anyway - you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: Views from balcony rooms overlooking the harbour and bay are wonderful and well worth paying a littl...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
StAustellManagement, Manager at Pedn Olva Hotel, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate the time you’ve taken to share your experiences. It is always pleasing to receive positive comments regarding our customer service and food. We’re pleased you were able to take advantage of the wonderful views we have to offer of St Ives and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Polish first
Maidenhead, UK
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

Room 10
January 15th

Good check in. Room 10 is a single. The shape of the room is such that the bed is next to the door - light leaks under the door but I managed to plug the light with towels.

Tea and coffee facilities - small tv and shower no bath.
I found it hard to get much heat from the heater which I had on max. I suggest this needs checking?

Breakfast was great - very good in quantity and quality.

The lounge was quite a nice place to sit in for the evening.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your review, we really appreciate the time you’ve taken to share your experience. Please be assured that all your comments are discussed by us a team and acted upon accordingly. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I spent the New Year celebrations here, the first time in several years over the celebratory period.It was just as good as it had been in the past.New Years Eve entertainment was a disco where the DJ kept his trap shut and just played the music-perfect.Many stayed in the lounge bar rather than go into town and leave the place almost deserted.
The following evening we had a trio playing old swing band music and this was an excellent choice despite the fact that no one decided to get up and dance around, it still provided a great nights entertainment.
I was also interested to see the refurberations that had been undertaken earlier in the year and were concentrated on the public areas.These were obviously done with great care and have added greatly to the atmosphere of the establishment and well done for taking the tv out of the bar area, a VAST VAST improvement.
It was a great personal pleasure to be back over this period and my grateful thanks to Drew, Andrew and all their hardworking staff who once again made a stay at the Pedn Olva one of the years great highlights for me.

Room Tip: All the rooms have great views.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your review, we really appreciate the time you’ve taken to share your experience. It is always pleasing to receive positive feedback from our guests. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us over the New Year period and it was as good as you have experienced in previous years. We’re pleased you enjoyed the entertainment provided over the New Year period and are glad you like the new look interior. We’re so pleased we could once again make your stay over the New Year period a great highlight to your year and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Regards,
Pedn Olva, Management Team
Brixham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Enjoyed wonderful two night winter break at the Pedn Olva. Fantastic location, our room overlooked St Ives harbour, restaurant and bar have panoramic view over whole of St Ives Bay. Good value accommodation, superb breakfast choices both hot and cold. Staff very attentive and helpful at all times. Excellent pint of Tribute bitter in the bar served by friendly staff.

Room Tip: Have the smoked haddock for breakfast!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
StAustellManagement, Manager at Pedn Olva Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Thank you for your review- we really appreciate the time you’ve taken to share your experience. We are so pleased that you were able to take advantage of the panoramic views that we have to offer of St Ives, Porthminster Beach and the West-Cornwall coastline. It is always pleasing to receive positive comments regarding our customer service and we are so glad you enjoyed our choice of food and drinks on offer. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We have only lunched here, for our honeymoon weekend. Our experience was excellent. The view from our table was up in the top ten views we have had pleasure of eating with, been to the scillies, Alps etc. The food we had was superb. (Haddock chips, mushy peas, bit special). When busy, table clearing was too slow all around. But a must visit for lunch, evening meal on your visit.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for the feedback following your recent visit. We are pleased you were able to join many others, taking in the spectacular views of St Ives that we have the privilege of offering. It is always pleasing to receive positive comments regarding our food on offer. All comments are discussed and acted upon accordingly. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Weekend break booked via Trivago 3 pm 9th Jan. Booked in at 3 pm 10th Jan. Very helpful staff. Booked into room 1 which is a twin room with fantastic views from 3 windows over St Ives Bay to Godrevy lighthouse in one direction and into St Ives harbour in the other. Very comfy beds. Good shower although it didn't drain terribly quickly and was at risk of overflowing at one point. Lovely thick, fluffy towels and nice toiletries. Three heaters in the room but we switched them all off as not needed. Booked evening meal for £10 each extra on Friday which was excellent value and very good food. Also had free bottle of Cava in room (don't like Cava but a nice touch). The breakfasts were excellent with wide choice of menu for cooked food and excellent choice of cereals, fruit, nuts, yogurts, danish pastries etc and a view over Porthminster beach second to none from the dining room. 4-minute walk down into St Ives harbour area. The only not such good thing really was that when I booked I was asked if I wanted to book parking at £8 a day which I requested but on arrival into the car park we found that to park for 24 hours was only £2. We did have to renew the ticket at 8 am each morning but that really was not a problem and we felt that £8 a day was a bit of a rip off. Maybe in peak season when car park spaces are perhaps more difficult to find this would have been worth having but not in January when there were plenty of spaces available each day. All in all a really good weekend and I would definitely come back to this hotel again in the future.

1 Thank PennyG00dall
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments regarding your recent stay at the Pedn Olva. We are pleased you were able to take advantage of the views we have to offer of St Ives harbour and the west-Cornwall coastline. Our team work extremely hard to ensure that all guests receive great service at all times, so it is always pleasing to hear positive comments regarding our customer service and the food offered. Please be assured that all your comments are discussed by us as a team and acted upon accordingly. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Good hotel and amazing spot. Had been hugely impressed by young man who called me back after my booking and saying that I needed a bath in my room as I have health issues. He had checked back to my old booking (as I said I had been before), "he would offer me the room we had back then" and I said "OK thanks and that I was impressed he had dug out my old booking".

On arrival we were shown to the same area as that room so I presumed we were going there but was directed to a different room and when I asked the lady about being told I was having that other room she just said ' its a family room'. I imagine she was a manager and overruled him. I was not overly bothered about the smaller room as we booked on laterooms and expected a small room but that's not the point..... she undid the good will.

The room was nice enough, clean but a bit tatty in places. I imagine the refurb is getting there as the work done elsewhere is excellent so I imagine it will take them time to do it all . The refurb has been lovely. I particularly like the St Ives wallpaper in dining area.

We found that the hot water ran out when we both had baths and the ceiling lights in the bath room did not work but we were happy to use the side light.Toiletries really lovely and bath towels big and soft. Oh and two spare heaters in the room (which was good in general as the rooms are all sea facing) but especially after the cold bath!

Bed very comfy and huge as its changeable to twin which we were offered on arrival. (nice check).
Breakfast was really very good - on day one we were offered more coffee which was a nice touch but on days not after. Smoked salmon was lovely and so much I could not finish it so my other half did. Poached eggs perfect. Fruit salad fresh in the morning a nice touch. Lots of nuts and seeds and apricots to add to breakfast. The haddock was local and also good. They had a different 'special' breakfast each day which was a lovely touch.

We have been twice now and will totally go back - out of season we like - as St Ives is amazing then and not too busy. Have been fan of St Austell Brewery for 30 years since hearing about St Kew inn from my family down here before I moved down. Then loved visiting it myself. Good to see them going from strength to strength

Room Tip: Be aware all rooms are sea facing (nice) but some terrace rooms have the door to the room also faci...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your review- we really appreciate the time you’ve taken to share your experience. The management team has invested a lot of time in our “Brewing a Passion” training programme to improve our standards and it is great to know that every team member is working extremely hard to ensure that all guests receive great customer service at all times. Please be assured all guests comments are discussed and acted upon accordingly. We are pleased you like our new look public areas and in particular the St Ives wallpaper in the dining area, which gives a uplifting and open feel to the dining room. Ongoing refurbishments are planned for the begging of this year. Our housekeeper and her team work extremely hard to ensure that all guests have any additional extras they may require, and that all fixtures and furnishings are to the highest quality. It is pleasing to hear positive comments regarding your breakfast experience, our apologies you received two different experiences and we’re pleased you enjoyed the wide selection of choices on offer. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Pedn Olva very soon!