“A little Cornish gem”
Review of Chy-An-Albany

Chy-An-Albany
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Reviewed October 28, 2013

A few friends and I were invited to a 60th Birthday near St Ives, so one of the group found us this hotel at the last minute. The reviews looked good on the internet and so did the photo's. When we arrived, the reviews were definitely true. We were greeted by very friendly staff who made the check in very smooth and also we were escorted to our bedrooms and given a tour of the rooms and facilities by a very friendly and personable member of staff. Nothing was too much trouble.

The rooms were spotless, as was the rest of the hotel and the facilities although basic, were good. There is a tv and tea/coffee facilities in each room with a very comfortable bed and compact but modern en-suite.

There was a wedding taking place when we arrived, but this didn't make any difference to our visit. We were out for the evening later, so it didn't matter that the hotel were unable to provide food that evening.

After a few drinks in St Ives, we all headed back to our rooms, showered and headed to our friends party. The following morning we all met for breakfast and found again a very friendly welcome and a great selection of foods on offer. 3 of us chose the Local catch of smoked Haddock and poached egg, along with granola and fresh fruit to start. There was fresh toast, rich fresh coffee and if you wanted, a full Cornish breakfast with my favourite Hogs pudding. The breakfast was the best I had eaten when staying in a hotel in England, so hats off to the chef.

The views from the lounge and bar area over look the coast and despite the forecast rain, made us feel happy we had chosen this hotel. There is some parking at the front of the hotel and the town of St Ives is about a 10 minute walk down the hill.

It was so nice to see a hotel run professionally and with such friendly staff. Well done to the staff and managers, you made our flying visit to St Ives an enjoyable one. We hope to come back I the near future.

Room Tip: See if you can get a sea view!
1  Thank Matteusp

Reviewed October 27, 2013

We really like this hotel. The staff are friendly and efficient. It has a really good restaurant called The Lighthouse which you can book even if you aren't staying there. Parking at the front is very limited so you are better off going straight to the back car park.

The front room we stayed in was very spacious which often isn't the case in a lot of hotels I've stayed in. When we arrived we were supposed to have a bottle of wine waiting but there wasn't which was a disappointment and they'd lost our booking for the restaurant however they made up for it by giving us complimentary wine so we were happy.

All that considered it's still a great hotel and I would definitely return.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Very warm reception, staff very helpful and always available, excellent service. The room was very comfortable and importantly so were the beds, light and airy room, very clean. Only fault we could find was bathroom on the small side and towels could be nicer. Stayed 3 nights with a group and we had dinner in the bistro each evening, a great choice of food and the food was excellent, breakfasts brilliant. Beautiful views of the bay from the bar and lounge area and some tables in the bistro.

Room Tip: We had room 1 and more than happy.
1  Thank jdandnjh
Reviewed October 17, 2013

On arrival I was met by friendly reception staff, who after warning them of my late arrival much earlier in the day greeted me by name. I stayed in the 'Brett Humphries' room, which was a delight. I must admit I wasn't expecting to find such a spacious and well appointed room and I was relieved to see a bath in my en-suite to de-stress after the long journey South. Breakfast was immense, a large choice of buffet and cooked-to-order items, I would seriously recommend the ham eggs benedict. I really couldn't find fault with the hotel or staff over the whole weekend. If I ever find myself back in St Ives, I'll definitely be booking in to the Chy-An-Albany again.

2  Thank Paul H
Reviewed October 7, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel and could not fault anything we encountered room basic but spotlessly clean and well serviced staff were attentive and friendly and food was of a very good standard .would return with no qualms at all

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Anton H
Reviewed October 6, 2013

This quaint hotel has spectacular views, great good, and ambience. Not easy to park at and it took me three loops of the town before i found the back carpark.
I liked the dated decor which was fitting for the building.
My only gripe was my room which was dark with no view at all. Walls and floor very thin too so i could hear particilarly the room above me where furniture was moved around constantly. Great shower though.

Room Tip: Pay more for elevation and a view
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank SadeWellington
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights last week. Lovely view over the beach. Nice room very clean and comfortable. Also bath/shower room. Staff very friendly and polite.Good breakfast plenty of choice. Ten minute walk into St Ives.

Room Tip: Front rooms have sea view
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple