“Lives up to the claims on its website”
Review of Chy-An-Albany

Chy-An-Albany
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Rugby
“Lives up to the claims on its website”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed for one night in a standard room. The room was clean, with a shower room en suite, it was quite large (in fact it had a single as well as a double bed).
The hotel lounge looks out over the bay - beautiful views all day long.
The hotel restaurant provided a very decent breakfast - good food with lots of choice and individually cooked dishes. It doubles as the Lighthouse Bistro in the evening, which provides a delicious, locally sourced three course meal for a reasonable price, although I wouldn't eat there every night if I had been staying longer as the costs would have mounted up considerably.

Room Tip: In my experience, the room comes exactly as advertised so if you want a sea view you will have to ch...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Liz H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Ashburton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Spent a very comfortable and relaxing stay here on a 3 nights for two offer. Friendly and helpful staff, lovely room with a superb view over the bay. Excellent breakfast, both self service and ordered. Ate in the Lighthouse Bistro which was very good too (separate review in restaurant section). Recommended.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Lusky1
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Me and my new husband had a lovely stay here on our honeymoon. We had booked into the superior room and it was lovely. We had a balcony which boasted lovely views out over st ives and the sea. Breakfast was fantastic, very tasty and wonderful service!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Laura-round89
Midlands
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Stayed here for a long weekend in March taking advantage of the 3 for 2 offer. Cannot fault this hotel. Staff were very friendly and helpful and the rooms were clean and well maintained. If you stay here you must try the Lighthouse Bistro the food was amazing and brilliant value for money!!
The breakfast was also really good with a wide choice to suit even the fussiest eaters!!

Would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to others. Great value for money!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Mudshake
France
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We live a hectic life and our 17 year old daughter very kindly thought that my wife and I would appreciate a night away from home in a B&B in St Ives, which was a lovely idea. She proceeded to pay some ungodly sum through booking.com to reserve us a double room with "glimpses" of the sea at this hotel in St Ives, not thinking about the fact that she booked us for Friday Feb 15th (the day AFTER Valentine's day).
The experience from our arrival at the hotel was laughable. The first room did indeed have "glimpses" of the ocean off in the distance and a standard double bed shoved in the corner (only one bedside table possible) complete with 1970's decor. Remarkable only for the fact that the owners of this hotel have the gaul to charge over £100 for such a dismal room just because it's "Valentine's weekend" (for Valentine's, clearly read "rip off"). I stay in hotels all over the world and I've never had anyone try to charge me that much for such a poor room. So, I complained and in all fairness we were shown to a larger room with a majestic view of the flat roof of a fill-in between what was presumably the back of the original building an an extension - complete with stored wheelbarrow. Again - fantastic value for over £100. So, I complained again, this time managing to attract the attention of the manager who offered us a "superior" room. Indeed, the view was superior - top (3rd floor) room with lovely views out over the bay, but that was the only thing superior about the room that came complete with a slightly wobbly toilet, mold growing in the grout on the floor tiles in the bathroom and some strange device under the window sill (heater?) with some heath-robinson like repairs holding it together.
The only saving grace was the breakfast that was very good quality both in terms of choice and ingredients.
I have no issue whatsoever with paying £100 or more for a good, value for money room at a seaside B&B, but I would be embarrassed to be associated with this place at that price and dread to think what any poor unsuspecting foreign visitors must think.
Don't stay here!

Room Tip: Stay in another hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ashlessinseattle
Julia B, Manager at Chy-An-Albany, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback after staying at the Chy an Albany Hotel. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your present off your daughter during the Valentines weekend. I must confirm that our prices are very competitive for St Ives & especially during the Valentines period in which your daughter booked.

The room you were originally checked into was a standard room with partial sea views, which was actually a free upgrade from the room type your daughter had booked.

When you complained at reception I did assist when I overheard the tone of your complaint and I could hear that the receptionist had helped you in the friendliest & helpful manner she could, offering you an alternative room. I am pleased I was able to offer you, at no extra charge, one of our deluxe sea view rooms as I understood it was a present from your daughter. You did not inform us of any other issues following your initial check in or upgrade. It is unfortunate you did not provide me with an opportunity to correct anything you were still unhappy about as you appeared happy later that evening & at check out.

It is frustrating that you wait until you leave the hotel to voice your opinions and not provide myself or my staff the opportunity to correct any issues you had. I can confirm that the maintenance team have rectified the bathroom issues & I can confirm that the heating system is working correctly and in good working order. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience here at the Chy an Albany Hotel & I hope in future you are able to find an alternative that meets your requirements exactly.
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

we stayed for one night and really enjoyed our stay. the room was great, staff were friendly and food was really nice. With only a short walk to the harbour i would definately recommend this hotel to other people.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank JemP1980
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2013

comfortable friendly hotel who aim to please. We were well looked after. our bedroom was light and airy with 3 windows, one of which looked out to sea. comfortable bed, efficient heating when needed, good supply of tea, milk and coffee, loved the conish biscuits. friendly room servise. great breakfast again good staff as were reception staff. lovely valantines meal in the lighthouse bistro. hotel is well placed for quite an easy walk into st ives.
This was our third visit to the chy an albany and hopefully we shall be back next february

Room Tip: we liked room 23 and 31 [ hope i remembered right]we had a corner front room and would like the same...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple