“Lovely Autumn Break”

Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Lovely Autumn Break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

Had a lovely week in St Ives staying at the Chy-An-Albany. Nice location and spectacular views. We had a seaview room (well worth the extra cost) and this was very spacious and comfortable. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the buffet-style breakfast plentiful and nicely cooked.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a seaview.
2 Thank Nick372016

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Harrogate UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

Down to St Ives for a wedding, stayed at Chy - an - Albany, a nice hotel, walking distance to town centre, friendly staff and excellent breakfast.
Only minor downside was room temprature controls made no difference, radiator stayed on permanantly, and the Bathroom was 30inches by 100inches and had a shower, sink and loo in it !

Room Tip: Room 2 has small bathroom, but room size is good.
1 Thank BlueCatsuit
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Lovely location, 10 mins walk to town, rare car parking a bonus, breakfast superb, bar well stocked but pricey, all good apart from the room, we booked a special offer and stayed 3 nights, we made a comment when we booked that we were down to finalise our wedding in St Ives and had been staying in various hotels over the past 6 months so to recommend to our guests where to stay, i asked if there was any chance of a nicer room or a bit of a seaview, this wasnt even listened to or registered, we arrived at reception and mentioned i and the receptionist said 'sorry we dont have any of the better rooms and as you are on a deal we cant assist with this request', seemed immediatley to me that this meant 'you have booked a deal (offered by the hotel) so you are going to get the smallest and worse room in the hotel', we got to the room, it was the furthest room in the hotel away from the reception, we could barely believe it when we walked in, it was tiny, enough room to shuffle around the bed, shower room was enough space to manouvre in and manouvre out but not to dry off in!! If you are going to be staying away with your partner early in your relationship this would not be a very flattering room to stay in (no.33), the bed was lumpy and the bedding adequate, positives were the room was tidy and the house keeping staff very friendly. For what we paid for the 2 nights and the 3rd free i would have expected a lot more space and a much better quality nights sleep (forget to mention there is virtually zero sound proofing in this corridoor). Not a terrible hotel overall from what we could see but the room was one of the worse i have ever been given and i wont recommend this hotel to anyone. If the hotel have an excuse for this tiny inadequate room i would love to hear it???

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 33.
Julia B, Manager at Chy-An-Albany, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thank you for your review of the hotel. I appreciate your feedback. I feel I must straighten out a couple of your comments due to not matching up with my records. I remember that you were here looking for wedding venues and when you asked my receptionist about other rooms, you were offered upgrades, but these were chargeable in which you declined our offer. Our special offer was not mentioned nor would have any difference when dealing with your request, so I am confused by your comment in which my receptionist apparently said we could not help as you were on our special offer. I was in ear shot myself at the time and can clarify that it was explained to you that the rooms we do have available would have a supplement charge and there were not many left as we were nearly full and you did not state at the time that you were not happy with this. The room you had was the room type you booked which are more compact than the deluxe rooms we did offer you. I do take on board your comments regarding the furniture, and I take your concerns seriously. The room has since had new furniture and we are looking at ways to improve the layout within the room, which granted the old furniture was bigger than the new furniture. I thank you for your feedback as it has provided us the opportunity to look at the room & make improvements. I hope if you return to St Ives you may give the hotel another chance as I am sure you will see positive changes.
Worthing, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Stayed overnight on a Business trip and found it to be a clean and tidy hotel with acceptable room sizes, although my colleague did think that his was a bit small. There is a simpler and shorter way into town than advised by the receptionisit but we found some nice places to eat and drink and enjoyed our stay. The Breakfast buffet was plentifuk and tasty but not everything was as hot as it could be. Would stay again if I was in that part of the world.

Room Tip: Room 18 has a double and a single bed but was available for single occupancy and a bit of extra spac...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Ilfracombe, Devon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

This was my second stay, my first being in a ground floor, self contained twin rooom last year. It was great value and very comfortable and the staff were attentive, but unobtrusive.
This year I went with my fiance and stayed in room 7, a balcony room with bath and shower and a lovely king size bed. The views from the balcony were incredible, the bed comfortable, VERY spacious room and bathroom and once again the staff were great. I would highly recommend this hotel.
Just 10 mins walk to the centre of town and 15 to the harbour area (bit longer on the way back as it is uphill!).

Room Tip: Ring and ask for different prices on balcony rooms. These are ideal for smokers too as they allow s...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Maylingj
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

Stayed 3 nights in a deluxe seaview room. Beautiful view over looking the sea. The room was smaller than we thought it was going to be but it was nice. The bed was really comfortable and good quality bedding. There was a tea and coffee tray there which was always restocked every morning and also 2 bottles of water and biscuits.
Breakfast was really nice fresh fruit and orange juice and cooked breakfast which was buffet style there was also other things you can order from the menu.
The staff was really friendly and polite.
only fault we think it's over priced for what it is you are only paying for the location.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle72_11
york
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

I stayed for one night at the beginning of my trip to Cornwall, I had a single room which was very small but was OK for one night (I could not have stayed for more in this room). Later in the day an outside fan started near my room which was noisy also bad TV reception at times.

The check in was friendly, they had quite a few younger members of staff around who seemed a bit inexperienced. I did not eat at the hotel but ordered tea in the lounge which was fine but it came on a dirty tray, the views were great from the lounge windows.

One draw back for me was climbing the hill to the hotel, I came by train and was told its only a ten minute walk but its all uphill, I struggled with my cases it would be very difficult for elderly people.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the front lovely views
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo