“Good deluxe experience”
Review of Chy-An-Albany

Chy-An-Albany
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights in a deluxe room which was spacious and comfortable with great sea view. Hotel service was very attentive. It's a short walk into the town, best to leave the car in the hotel car park. Locally caught fish in the hotel restaurant was beautifully cooked and good value.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room with balcony. This gives access from the room directly to a terrace area whe...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John L

Reviewed September 10, 2012

A double was £165. The decor in the hotel restaurant was frightful. If you want to stay in a 1960s Old Peoples' Home this is for you. How did this place get such a high approval rating? Bathroom pokey, long black hair, badly designed. Bit smelly. Think there was a reason all the windows were open when we arrived.

Room Tip: There isn't one.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Julia B, Manager at Chy-An-Albany, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Thank for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Chy an Albany Hotel. I am sorry you were disappointed with your room; our deluxe rooms have much larger bathrooms which you may have preferred. I must apologise regarding your comments regarding an odour- I’m afraid there was a maintenance issue that day in which was solved as quickly as possible; I am sorry for the inconvenience caused. We are also continuing with our winter refurbishment programme over the next few months so I hope if you return to St Ives again you visit us again to see some positive changes.

Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

We recently spent a night here . It was my partners birthday a we decided to have a night out in St Ives. The location was perfect. Our room was spacious and comfortable. The en suite was clean and a good size. All the staff were helpful and friendly . And breakfast was delicious and hot. We'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Furtylicious
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Stayed for 6 nights in August, in a Classic Twin room. Although there was very little classic about it. It was very small, with a shower cubicle you could just about squeeze in to. We ate dinner on the first night, which was reasonably priced for a 2 course. However when I chose the desert, I was advised that the Chef had just eaton the last portion ?. The waiter brought us an alternative with 2 spoons to share with my wife. After we had eaten half of it we discovered a long blonde hair in it.........The waiter apologised and offered us a complimentry coffee ????
We ate out after that. At £130 per night, very poor value. Will not stay again.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, choose a larger room with sea view and eat elswhere
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Staggie_12

Thank you for your feedback. I have investigated your booking & spoken with the Head Chef & Restaurant Supervisor, both who were on duty at the time that you ate in our restaurant. I apologise if you were given the impression that the chef had eaten the last desert- this is completely untrue and out of context- I must stress that the last portion had been ordered just seconds before by another table & waiter. Your alternative dessert in which you state you found a hair in- I apologise if this was the case, but I am afraid to say that all of my kitchen & waiting staff who have any contact with the plate do not or have not had long blonde hair- I am confused as to where it may have come from? I can only sincerely apologise that it occurred and I hope that you still enjoyed your time at the hotel & St Ives.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Good location with plenty of parking, both at the front & rear of the hotel. Free wifi throughout the hotel. Very friendly & attentive staff, at this hotel, the waiter even remembering which bottle of wine we chose from the previous nights meal. The food being excellent both for breakfast & the evening meal.
On a downside the room was very small, with the en-suite even smaller. This apart, I would recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: Room 15 V Small - maybe other are bigger
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Martutd
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Nice location just a short uphill walk from the railway station (also has good car parking). Friendly staff and room immaculately clean. Ensuite very small and very little water power from shower. Otherwise nice but compact single room (21) with suitable storage, tv, tea and coffee facilities etc. Major problems with wi-fi which was non-existent throughout the hotel during my stay and other guests were grumbling about this as well. Receptionist said she was calling in the morning to arrange repairs but I see similar comments on other reviews so I recommend owners either install proper system or stop advertising that they provide free wi-fi. I was staying on business and needed Internet and email facilities. Breakfast was really excellent and mainly buffet style but also chef prepared options. Difficult to rate overall as hotel was on the whole very good but disappointing wi-fi and shower/ensuite

Room Tip: If you want to use internet whilst staying at the hotel ask for a room where the wi-fi quality is go...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank teddyLondonUK
Reviewed August 5, 2012

My partner and I booked a 4 night stay in July for (£155.00 per night including breakfast). The hotel and room.looked looked nice on the internet. Upon arrival I requested to review the room, most disappointing small, bed 10 inches from the wall one side, the shower did not work, ill fitting toilet seat. Overall not acceptable, we were told by the receptionist there were no other rooms to be had as very busy. I asked to see the manager and was told 'they are not in today', no acting manager? There was no way we were paying £155.00 for an inferior room for 4 nights so promptly found another hotel and cancelled the rest of our booking. I spoke with the manager the same evening who happened to be around, that was only when I asked the reception if they received by email cancellation and she happened to be there! We were given a room rate reduction when checking out, at no point were we approached by the manager to check if we were happy with this. We were given a £35.00 reduction, frankly the room we had was not worth £65.00.
Yes, we do understand its peak season and the prices are higher but feel that were treated poorly, ok the manager said she would give us an upgrade if we came back, that is not going to happen. Trip Advisor is about opinions and experiences, unfortunately ours was not a good one.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank eclipse33

Thank you for your review on your stay at the hotel, I appreciate feedback both positive & negative. It gives me the opportunity to see the hotel through the eyes of our guests & allow us to make changes to make your guest journey a positive & relaxing one.

I feel on this occasion I must respond to a few points you have mentioned as it does not corroborate with the events in which I dealt with personally and investigated at the time. I can confirm that upon check in you did ask to see the room, in which my reception manager escorted you to have a look. My reception manager was courteous and tried to listen to you. I understand it can be tiring after such long journeys and that travelling can be quite stressful. The room you had booked was a standard room with partial sea room in with a side sea view. I take on board your comments regarding the layout & furniture, the furniture has been upgraded this last month so I can confirm that the room has much improved & the maintenance issues were fixed straight away. I can only apologise that there were no other rooms that we could move or upgrade you to as the hotel was completely full on that particular evening, we were able to upgrade you the following evening for your rest of your stay but you declined our offer. Once you had spoken with my colleague and she had organised for you to leave early without any charges, I can confirm that I personally investigated and contacted and spoke with you that evening before you left to discuss all points you had concerns with. I must stress that this is extremely important to me and I always take the time to speak with guests who have feedback, both good & where we can improve. I thank you for taking the time to speak with me then so we had the opportunity to resolve your concerns there and then. During which we had discussed & agreed a discount would be given, which at this point we both were happy with the end result. I am disappointed by your comment that I did not approach you on check out as you declined my offer from the receptionist on duty to speak with me on checkout. I apologise that you did not enjoy your shortened time at the hotel and hope you enjoyed your stay in St Ives.