Open today: 10:00 AM - 4:15 PM
Seriously Underwhelming

Reviewed 6 days ago
Philip A
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Tried something new and it is not for me (personally).

daylysutton
Gweek, United Kingdom

1,680 results
All reviews top floor patrick heron new extension virginia woolf gallery space barbara hepworth museum stunning views
Reviewed 2 days ago

This is a must see for us on any visit to St Ives.

Parking is very difficult in St Ives, but as went on a wet Tuesday in November we had no trouble finding a spot in a car park just a minutes walk along the seafront.

Closed on Mondays in the winter season.

Many wonderful works of art on display, in the well designed galleries, and admittedly some not so great in my opinion.

A ticket also entitles you to visit the Barbara Hepworth Museum a short walk away.

TateStIves, Guest Relations Manager at Tate Gallery St. Ives, responded to this reviewResponded yesterday

Many thanks for your feedback. It's great to hear you had such an enjoyable visit.

As you mentioned, combined tickets are available that give entry to Tate St Ives and the Barbara Hepworth Museum and Sculpture Garden.The tickets give a one day visit to each site over 7 days.

Reviewed 6 days ago

It reminded me of the story of the Emperors New Clothes. Ceiling to floor wallpaper in monochromatic tones masquerading as art. I wasn't expecting old masters but, to be honest, if pictures? have to be explained and are still meaningless then it is not art. Sure, I could see there was technique in some works but that is not what a picture is about. I think the general comments illustrate (sic) the general pretentiousness of the exhibition. If I were offered a free pick of any of the artworks then only Barbara Hepworth was of any merit as her shape and form was pleasing. I like the building but it's contents are not for me!

1  Thank Philip A
Reviewed 1 week ago

It is not big but has a nice selection of artists. The best part in my opinion is the Newlyn School. Of course you see sculptures by Barbara Hepworth and paintings by Robert Borlase Smart but they have very good art on loan from the Tate.

Reviewed 1 week ago

Wonderful space to hold the current exhibition of the development and influences of British Abstract Art from the early 20 5th Century. Great works of art from some great artists.
Todd cave as well.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Modern clean building. I thought I would educate myself on modern art. Did not like it or understand it. Used the cafe which was ideally located in the roof with stunning views, had a great hot fresh mackerel lunch and service was perfect. Facilities were very clean and in good order.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I’d been wanting to visit for some time, so brought the Chaos Brothers along for holiday compulsory culture! As kids go free (which is a great incentive to get children more exposed to the arts), I chose to pay a little extra for the combined ticket to cover the Barbara Hepworth museum as well.

There was an I-spy activity available for the kids, but we chose to do it our own way by each choosing our favourite piece in each of the 10 galleries and explaining why they appealed. There was an extensive range of styles and media to compare and contrast, so held our interest as well as can be expected for a not particularly art driven family. Once we had seen everything we ventured up to the cafe to get a drink, but opted to leave food until elsewhere. The view of St Ives from the top floor was fabulous and we loved looking down at the terraced gardens of the houses below. Following the obligatory trip to the shop we agreed that was a couple of hours well spent.

If anything, the only downside was the shortage of local parking. Not a problem for us, but if your walking range is limited, get there early!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

If you go to St Ives then you have to visit the Tate Gallery. Even if you are not particularly interested in art, curiosity will drive you here. If you are interested in the social history, for example what was on the Tate site before the Gallery was built and why they bothered to establish a gallery here, your needs will be satisfied. It wasn't cheap to get in and there isn't parking but no visit to St Ives would be complete without at least taking a look. The trouble is, because so many people do think this, the place can get rather busy.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Much more accessible than its big brother Tate Modern in London.
Wonderful spaces some beautiful art Picassos, Patrick Heron, Mandorin, Beautiful sculptures by Barbara Hepworth and many others.

I can’t recommend it Tate St Ives enough.
If I lived closer I think I’ll be here every week.

Visit to Tate St Ives you won’t regret it.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Interesting collection in a fantastic building. Children’s activity sheet kept our 5 and 8 year olds entertained all the way round the gallery.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We were expecting something like the Tate Modern in London and were pleasantly surprised by the range of work on display. A very popular attraction. By the tickets for this and the Barbara Hepworth museum at the same time. Good value.