“location”

Tate Gallery St. Ives
Ranked #25 of 58 things to do in St Ives
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Tate St Ives will be closed until Friday 31st March 2017. The refurbishment of the existing Tate St Ives building has proved more complex than anticipated. After careful consideration we have decided to continue the building work through the year and we will reopen the refurbished Tate St Ives in March 2017. We will continue work on the new galleries and building over the summer 2017. The fully completed new Tate St Ives, encompassing the existing building and the extension, will open in autumn 2017. The planned exhibition season for summer 2016, The Studio and The Sea will open to the public on Friday 31 March 2017.
Falmouth, United Kingdom
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“location”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The location is out of this world with spectacular views. The building itself is awesome. I have been therre when the exhibits have been quite interesting, and it is definitely best when there is a knowledgeable guide. On my visit last week the exhibits left me cold. I think that unless you are a real modern art enthusiast and really understand it, it will be wasted. I am not an expert and I found them unfathomable, dull and frankly depressing.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Morwenna B

Bristol, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Not what I was expecting”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Sorry to dissapoint but this was not worth the entrance fee, travel or the parking costs.

I know art is a subjective topic and everyone will have opinions over the featured art in the galleries, so for that reason I will try and leave my personal opinions regarding works aside.

The gallery is situated in a beautiful location. £7 entrance fee seemed fairly prices at first, but I was horrified to discover that despite its grand large facade, the gallery covers a matter of 4 or 5 rather small rooms. Not like other galleries I have been to which have been far more interesting and cost far less.

For anyone wishing to see waste the best part of £10 pp, to climb 3 sets of stairs and see a limited range of, in my opinion, not very good art work, then this is for you.

IF NOT... then walk into St Ives and spend 30 mins walking around the glorious art rooms and galleries where you will be sure to find much more interesting works, and they won't rip you off to enter!

Very very poor!

Visited May 2013
3 Thank SGower23
Melbourne, Australia
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Another must”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

A small but beautifully gallery
User friendly . Modern exhibition ,when we visited ,still very interesting.

Visited February 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Nice building......., limited art collection for a gallery!”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Much anticipated visit to this art gallery was - well, okay! I'm not arty or knowledgable about art but I enjoy exhibitions and art galleries in general. However, this one was limited. There are a few limited edition prints when you go in and then there were 2 artist exhibitions which also had a limitied collection. I enjoyed more the views from the Tate to the bay, the reflection of the sea in the glass and the way the light played through the gallery. Overall, wouldn't visit again as not worth the entrance fee for such small collections.

Visited April 2013
Saint-Genis-Pouilly, France
88 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“A real let down!”
Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

What a waste of a drive. I crying shame that these artists have hundreds of pieces of art to exhibit and are all left wondering why the Tate can only show us a few dozen. And the Tate continues to rob the public by the charging the earth for a few souvenirs. May I suggest you all save your money for a purchase at the Tom Gower Studios in town - now that's art!!!

Visited May 2013