“Hidden Treasure! Fantastic!”

The Balancing Eel
Ranked #25 of 143 Restaurants in St Ives
Cuisines: Seafood, Fast Food, British
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
“Hidden Treasure! Fantastic!”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Considering we went out of season and I think the restaurant part was actually closed we were welcomed to eat upstairs and the service was brilliant. Genuine honest good food! Best fish and chips we have ever had, I recommend the garlic bread too! Our host could not have been more friendly and welcoming and we had a lovely chat with him. Prices are spot on and the place has such character, and lovely menus (not just the food, the actual menu too!!). If we go back to St. Ives I will be visiting again (possibly every day!). Lovely that the potatoes were locally sourced, good to hear. I can see how this place is popular in peak season! Didn't want to leave.

• Visited March 2014

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Quite bite to eat”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

We popped into the balancing eel as we wanted something fairly quick on the way back from visiting friends and my daughter fancied fish and chips. Having been a few times we know that you're pretty much guaranteed to get a good meal.

Unfortunately they'd run out of sole which I'd fancied but bear in mind this was just after all the storms and the fishing boats werent getting out much. I would have gone for the excellent special (the table next to us had this and it looked fab) but wasnt that hungry so I had scampi and my daughter had haddock. Both were lovely and not greasy and there was plenty.

Service was pleasant and quick enough but not rushed. We'll be back.

• Visited February 2014
“So tasty! ”
Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

Amazing cod and chips. Perfectly cooked. So tasty.

Slight error with our order but it was rectified straight away, so we were happy (these things happen).

Would most definitely recommend!

Innsbruck
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Just what I wanted”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Arrived just as they were getting ready to close the upstairs area, but they were quite happy to serve me, Fish and chips, not greasy and very enjoyable, nothing fancy but clean comfortable and traditional, a real hidden treasure.

• Visited October 2013
Nottingham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Yummy!!”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Had take away cod and chips last week and they were delicious ,the batter really thin and crispy the cod very tasty and the chips just perfect.they were exactly the same in November so please try them if you are in St Ives.

• Visited January 2014