“For Fish n Chips - the best!”
Review of The Balancing Eel

The Balancing Eel
Ranked #24 of 151 Restaurants in St Ives
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Had two takeaway fish n chip meals as a family from here at lunch times on our recent visit to St Ives. They were both excellent. Great choice available and we went with the cod - excellent. The batter - superb, and the fish is cooked without the skin (as it should be!). It was all cooked to order - so you have to wait less than 5 minutes but it was well worth it. We were on holiday after all!

It is a bit quirky in terms of location (up a side street and up the stairs) and very traditional in appearance - but importantly the quality is not affected. Service was very good - the guys serving when I visited were making great small talk with clients as they waited.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Always our first meal after the long journey down to St Ives, makes it all worthwhile.
The cod and haddock are great with their own recipe batter, you might have to que for a few minutes but worth the wait.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

when you visit an English seaside resort you just have to have fish n chips. Looking round St Ives we noticed the Eel just off the main drag and decided to eat in. We were escorted upstairs to find a well run friendly restaurant. The staff took our order quickly and very soon served up what I can only describe as the best fish n chips I've ever tasted, only downside not licenced soft drinks only but doesn't change my rating.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

I've been eating fish and chips from the Balancing Eel since I was a small boy, 45 years ago! The name's still the same but alas the very friendly staff were probably not even born when I started coming here.

Still the very best fish & chips in Cornwall..

1  Thank Paul W
Reviewed July 2, 2013

If you visit St Ives and fancy fish and chips, then go to the Balancing Eel. It is a proper British fish and chip restaurant - basic, clean with slight old fashioned feel to it but......it serves THE best fish and chips. We always go there when we visit St Ives and have never been disappointed. There is an upstairs restaurant where very pleasant friendly staff will serve you with uncomplicated high quality food. We ate there twice last week - the children loved it as much as we did.My son and I had the fish platter which consisted of a piece of hake, a piece of cod, scampi and Thai prawns which came with chips and salad - all for £10.30. There was so much we were able to share some with the children (2 and 4 years) The bill for all six of us was £45 I suppose the only downside for some people is that it is all up stairs which could be a problem for some.

Given the aggressive nature of the seagulls which WILL swoop and grab your food out of your hands it was a pleasure to eat inside in peace and quiet.