“Best Fish & Chips ever had”

Becks Fish and Chips
Ranked #10 of 144 Restaurants in St Ives
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Becks has expanded into a restaurant with bar and lounge area to complement the still thriving take-away. The restaurant area itself seats over 100 people. Becks does not take reservations, although notification of parties over 9 people is recommended. The main selling point and one of the major credentials is that Becks offer gluten free options. All types of fish (Cod, Haddock, Hake, Plaice), scampi and pizzas are available with this option. For customers choosing to sit in the restaurant there is also a range of desserts on offer that are gluten free. Becks is the only fish and chip shop in a 6 mile radius that offer gluten free products.
Thirsk, United Kingdom
“Best Fish & Chips ever had”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

The last time we went to Beck's was 30 years ago and although the decor and the location of the doors into the restaurant and the take-away have changed the food hadn't. It is still as fresh and tasty as before. 3 of the party had Haddock, chips and mushy peas and the 4th had the scampi. There was one side order of onion rings and there were so many they did for 4 of us. Again so fresh and tasty, the batter was light and fluffy.
Very large fish, if there was any downside it was the chips, they were quite small and lots of bits, I feel that if they did bigger chips then the meal would have been absolutely perfect, although to be fair that could have been the potatoes at this time of year.
One of our party had the sorbet, 3 different flavours and he said it was the best sorbet he had ever tasted. Another had the knickerbocker glory and said that was fantastic. I had the lemon meringue pie, wow, again so big and the taste of lemon was delicious. We found the waitresses and the service excellent, nothing was too much trouble.
I can't comment on the problem about the name in a book to wait for your table, but I just know that I would keep an eye on things and if I saw someone going in who came after me or waited over 10 mins then I would have been asking to double check that our names hadn't been missed, I certainly wouldn't be sitting there an hour before I didn't thing.
It is a pity that it took us so long to get back to Cornwall but luckily my husband and I are coming back in September with my cousin and wife from Calgary, Canada and they have expressed a wish to go there, a wish that will happily be granted.

• Visited June 2014

“Best Fish and Chips in UK!”
Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

These are by far the best fish and chips I have ever eaten. We always eat here or have a takeaway every time we visit St Ives, and have never been disappointed over the 10 years. Don't bother trying any other fish and chip restaurants in the St Ives area. The quality of the fish and batter is second to none and the portion sizes are huge.

Visited June 2014
England
“good quality traditional fish and chips”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

very welcoming it was like walking into their front room, very busy had to wait for a table which wasn't a problem as comfortable seating area and bar. very old fashioned but in a good way

Visited April 2014
Newquay, United Kingdom
“first visit”
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Had a small wait but this seems to be the norm .five of us went we had 3 small portions of fish and chips,we didn't think they were small,fish was enormous the Gammon steak I had was lovely,we order garlic mushrooms and garlic dough balls and some onion rings and a large Braddock everything was cooked fresh and to perfection,staff were very friendly,we really enjoyed the meal and would highly recommend.

Visited May 2014
Rochester, United Kingdom
“Not what we expected at all !!!”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We visited Beck's as a local recommended it. We did not know what to expect but were pleasantly surprised. Quite smart and spacious restaurant! You don't need to book in advance, just sign up for a table upon arrival and wait to be called. Good selection of fresh fish, also pizzas! The service is very friendly. The prices are good and the portions are huge! The food was very tasty! Definitely worth a visit!

Visited May 2014