“Awful”

The Inn & Lodge at Balnoon
Ranked #50 of 143 Restaurants in St Ives
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Great British food served @Balnoon In our restaurant we serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. All of the food is from local produce and freshly cooked to order. We offer daily specials and a varied menu that has a modern take of traditional British cuisine. We are happy to cater for vegetarians and any dietary needs. Please inform the staff when booking or upon arrival.
“Awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

Went there for Sunday carvery,and without doubt it was a big mistake..the meat was bland and tough,the vegetables were cold,and the potatoes which were not properly cooked were actually that bad I couldn't eat them.this was the worst roast dinner I have ever had.staff were nice and polite though.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Skc200

Hayle, United Kingdom
“very disapointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

haveing live in area for 5yrs we have eaten here on a several time`s over the last couple of years and never had reason to complain had serveral carverys all you could eat and good food . always found the staff very friendly nothing to much trouble the staff most being austrailian alway glad to see you .

sadly on this evening i was looking forward to a nice meal we started with garlic mushrooms and i was looking forward to a nice steak and my wife had lamb dish all i can say is that the chef must have drop the salt pot on every thing couldnt taste garlic for salt on mushroms and i had to scrap the salt off my steak it was so over powering my wife lamb dish came out with a sauce/gravy meat was very tough after trying to eat two piece`s she had to leave the so called lamb which didnt taste or look like lamb.

I did bring this to the waitress attenion when i paid for the meal when i was told the chef was italian and used a lot of spice`s well the only reason you need to kill every thing with salt /spice is if the meat is bad and you need to cover things up Well must disapointed and wont be reaconmending the food to any one .

and i for got to mention the 11/2 hour wait for this poor second class meal i have eaten far better in a transport cafe and at third of the price.

i feel sorry for the waitress who have to stand there and take the complaints the poor girl was so embarrest

• Visited January 2013
3 Thank philt5
truro
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“christmas party night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

A fantastic evening,we had our staff christmas party here on 21st december,Food was amazing ,fantastic entertainment,staff were friendly and fun,the chef ,well the food was to die for,and he was a great dancing partner.
Also stayed in room which was lovely,deco lovely nice and warm and quiet,breakfast was great.
Thank you so much and see you all again next year or sooner if any more parties,also hope to have my wedding there,
thanks colin

regards
Dawne

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank dawneTruro
Truro, United Kingdom
“Excellent Italian Feast Night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

What an excellent evening. The Italian food was to die for, all freshly cooked by Stefano and his team. Italian food has so much more to offer than just pasta. The service was impecable with such friendly staff. The evening was made even better by the lovely Charlie, who played 60's and 70's songs on his guitar, which certainly got our feet tapping.

We shall definately be going back for more Italian nights and also trying out their steak night too.

• Visited November 2012
Penzance, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Absolutely shocking - very disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

My husband and I went there for a Sunday cavery with his family. There were 10 of us plus our 14 month old. They run 2 sittings on Sunday, 12 and 1.30. We were booked in on the 1.30 sitting. It was fairly busy when we got there and our table was still in use from the people before us. They hadn't even been served their puddings when we arrived. It was gone 2pm by the time we sat down - it's a good thing I brought snacks for our little one!

When we eventually got to our table, we headed up to get our food.....what was left of it! The pork was nothing but some rough ends left on the string, the cauliflower cheese and parnsips were gone, and there was only the dregs of the gravy left. In addition, the veggies that were available, were barely cooked and rock hard and the potatoes (which I'm pretty sure weren't fresh - resembled the type that aunt bessie would make if you know what I mean!) were anemic. It took ten minutes to replenish the the veg and the parsnips again, were pale and unappetising and cauliflower cheese was hard! We ploughed through our roast (presonally I would have complained and left had I have been paying for it, but we were being treatd by mother and father in law!) and by the time we finished we were the only ones left in the place. Despite this, we all sat there for 10 minutes or more with dirty plates in front of us and had to ask for our table to be cleared. We had ordered pudding in advance,so then had to face a second course. 5 of us chose New York cheesecake. 4 of ours were delivered and it took a good 5 minutes or more before my husband received his - and it was clear why! It was hot in the middle, so chef had obviously been defrosting it in the microwave - completly shocking. We sent it back and ordered a replacement pudding but again, the choice was limited as it seemed they'd run out of everything, so why she asked us what we wanted instead was beyond me as really we could only have what they had left! We were refunded the puddings in the end.

A truly awful experience and at £10 per head, certainly not the quality of food or service you'd expect. A shame, as I'd heard good reveiws of it so was looking forward to it, and maybe it was a once off bad service, but nevertheless I certainly won't be returning.

• Visited October 2012