“Nice but...”

Porthmeor Beach Cafe
Ranked #8 of 152 Restaurants in St Ives
Good for: Special occasions, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Porthmeor Beach Café Bar is open daily from Easter to November and serving food from 9:00am to 9:30pm. With Australian chef Cameron Jennings at the helm, breakfasts are renowned and our tapas menu has an acclaimed reputation. Full drinks license so come and sip champagne on our terrace and watch the sun go down.
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I live in St Ives and often stop off at Porthmeor Cafe for a drink or a coffee, and when I have friends down I bring them here. The views are amazing, the food is (usually) good, and staff have been friendly and helpful. However, the last few times I have been it seems that things have changed. The food while tasting and looking lovely is overpriced - portion sizes are definitely shrinking, and the staffs attitude (bar a couple who always have a smile) is bordering on surly. I haven't commented before, however what I experienced yesterday makes me think this downward trend is getting worse. Went with a couple of friends for a light lunch and got the distinct impression that the blonde woman who served us resented doing so - left with feeling she really didn't like us! Given that we each spent almost £20 (for a drink and a couple of tapas) the least I think you can expect from service staff is a smile and goodbye - I actually thanked our waitress and made a point of putting some money in the tip jar. She just stared, turned away and began a conversation with another member of staff. Really rude.
So, unless things change, my recommendation is go for the views, but don't expect great value or good service!

2  Thank stivesgirl
Write a ReviewReviews (2,173)

Reviewed May 19, 2013

I visited Porthmeor cafe for the fist time Friday evening with a friend. The location is beautiful right on the beach. We did not book but the smiley waitress managed to get us seated inside on the last available table. The menu had so many things we wanted to have so we had 6 tapas to share. The food came out all together, hot and presented beautifully. Everything was cooked perfectly and tasted fantastic, although next time I would have the food come out one dish at a time because everything started to get cold because of the amount we ordered...However the waiter got the chef to re heat the dishes that could be reheated :) we were so full by the time we had had a nibble of everything and had no room for desert, so I will be back next week to try them out.
I would recommend you to try out Porthmeor cafe, friendly and helpful staff, tasty food, beautiful location, nice Atmosphere and go in the evening to see the sunset because it was beautiful!

Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Been to some places was really surprised at what this place offered - EVERYthing was spot on. Food in particular was excellent - in my top 10 !

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Can't think of many better locations, overlooking the beach as it does. We stopped for breakfast which was excellent and reasonably priced. It does a roaring trade on a nice day and we were lucky to get a desirable table by the window to enjoy the view. Friendly and helpful staff. Brilliant.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

The most fantastic food I have ever eaten - still dreaming of monkfish with caramel. You do get what you pay for and the food here was just dreamy. Of course it's a bonus that you've a diet of art on the left, and a feast for the eyes with Porthmeor beach on the right (depending which way you face!) but the food is just amazing. Go and try it all. The bar have it under cover or outdoors for the beach-attired. We just loved it and we are still drooling at the thought! yes..really. Some day we will make it back here!

1  Thank LornaSWAbingdon