“Great start to our holiday”
Review of The Black Rock

The Black Rock
Ranked #12 of 144 Restaurants in St Ives
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Situated in the Market Place, The Black Rock comfortably sits 36 diners in stylish surroundings where renowned local artists show their work. The St Ives born chef uses knowledge of local produce to create an ecxiting menu that changes with the seasons.
toronto
“Great start to our holiday”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Wandered into the Black Rock around 7 ish on a Friday night without a reservation as it was our first night in town. Matt, the affable young Major Domo, looked at his clipboard and said, "How about that table over there". Thinking we might have to rush our meal to make way for a later booking, I was assured there was no rush. A nice bottle of Sauvignon Blanc from a very decent wine list, some marinated olives and a sourdough rye bread took us to difficult choices from a very nice menu. My wife and I both had the "Half-shell Fallmouth scallops with wild garlic". Excellent! This was followed by the monkfish which was one of the daily specials listed on the blackboard. Also excellent. A shared dessert of steamed apple pudding with ice cream and we were totally sated.
I jokingly asked Matt what time they opened for breakfast but sadly that is one meal they don't do. However, we will surely be back for lunch and dinner during the rest of our month-long stay.
I don't hand out "5s" loosely but this place deserves one in my opinion.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank memphismickey

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Crab all the way.”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

I was recommended to try this restaurant by one of my Facebook buddies and I am so glad I ate here. I turned up on my own and it was no bother to find me a seat. I love seafood and especially crab so I was pleased to see it as one of their specials. I had the crab gratin to start which was divine and smothered with hot grilled cheese. I then had the garlic crab claws with a portion of dripping chips. They were without doubt the best chips I have ever eaten. Staff were really friendly and didn't make me feel awkward that I was on my own.

• Visited May 2014
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Excellent dining”
Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

Our first time in St Ives. Had a great meal here. Shared a Scottish smoked salmon starter followed by a spicy monkfish and a rib eye - both specials - plus a plate of Cornish cheeses. Very good quality, great service, reasonable prices. A busy Friday night, but everything worked fine!

1 Thank Christau25
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Another St Ives Place to Go”
Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed for a week in St Ives and had short listed a number of place to eat out. I must admit we were really spoilt for choice as everywhere you turn there is a restaurant to suit your mood.

This was the first of our short list and we weren't disappointed.

We had pre booked a table for two (suggested by the hotel we stayed at as all the good restaurants are booked well in advance) and were greeted by a very attentive waiter.

We were shown to our table and our drinks order were taken promptly.

When perusing the menu we thought the selection wasn't huge however there were a number of dishes that stood out from the rest and seemed ideal for the two of us.

We started by having olives and the rye sourdough basic but really hit the spot and tasted fantastic.

The mains followed and my girlfriend had Lemmon Sole and Crab risotto while I opted for Trevaskis Farm Steak, soy marinade, beef dripping chips, greens.

The steak was cooked just the way I like and the sole was exceptional. The only criticism we had was that my girlfriends risotto was slightly cold.

For Dessert we shared Hot chocolate doughnuts, toasted almonds, homemade almond ice cream which we noticed a number of other diners had also ordered.

This was a great start to our break in St Ives and our culinary short list, we are already planning another stay and will definitely be returning to The Black Rock.

Visited April 2014
london
“Without question the best meal we have eaten in St Ives”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

On our holidays here we have sampled most of the decent restaurants in ST Ives and have had great food there overall but Black Rock was without doubt the best meal we have had here. The Brettaine style crab was exquisite and so was the pork. the unusual monkfish with aubergine mash was so delicious and our young children devoured their crab claws and main course mussels and the chips fried in dripping were excellent. The menu is imaginative creative and just enough choice to suit most palates. The slightly cold and dull interior does not justify the food so don't judge the restaurant on how it looks. One probably does not find many families with young children here and i think we may have been the exception in the evening but they made us feel very welcome and we look forward to returning.

• Visited May 2014