“Slipped into the Sloop for a Soup”
Review of The Sloop Inn

The Sloop Inn
Ranked #38 of 151 Restaurants in St Ives
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Popped into the Sloop for a late lunch when we dropped into St.Ives today. We (me, wife, Mother-I-L, daughter and Heidi (our Giant Schnauzer) enjoyed a light lunch (even though there was an excellent choice of more substantial meals) of sandwiches, baguettes and soup. The service was very friendly and speedy and a good selection of beers and other beverages. Couldn't fault it. Will definitely go back again. Thank you

Reviewed January 29, 2013

This is possibly my very favourite pub. The atomosphere is fantastic and the only problem is that you can't always get a table if you want to eat (though there is a bookable restaurant upstairs). I have just come back from a weekend in St Ives and even in January the place was buzzing. The food is gorgeous and reasonably priced and there was a wine sale on with four different wines at £3.25 for a large glass. Even though the pub is usually very busy it is always fairly quick to get served both with drinks and food. There was live music on Saturday night but not so loud as to be intrusive. A great pub full of history and right on the harbour.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

A bitterly cold day in January is not the best time to visit anywhere in Cornwall, though St Ives is pleasingly quiet and (if it's not raining) the scenery is magnificent. This Inn actually faces on to the harbour and claims it's been there since the 14th century. Certainly it has a pleasantly low ceiling with oak beams, and a floor of well-worn flagstones: it also has an old fashioned public bar as well as a plusher and more extended dining bar. The service was friendly and efficient. We were pleased to see four different varieties of very good cider on tap, as well as hot spicy cider which I've never tried before (and recommend for a cold day). For lunch I had the supposedly local cornish cod in batter with chips, and my partner had the locally sourced burger. The chips were, sadly, the same as pub chips anywhere, but the fish was good, if small, and the burger (I am told) was excellent. At under a tenner each we were quite happy with our lunch -- and very pleased by the cider.

1  Thank AlonsoTheMagnificent
Reviewed January 16, 2013

You can't visit St Ives without a pint or 10 in the Sloop Inn, it's dog friendly, serves cracking food and a good variety of beer, lager and cider (love the rattler!). For me the Sloop is the best pub in St Ives, although it does get very crowded at peak times.

1  Thank Mikey2512
Reviewed January 12, 2013

If you have never seen the New Year in at S Ives in Cornwall, then you really must next year. Whether you are part of the fancy dress fun or just a spectator then you will have a blast. Surrounded by Shaun the sheep's, vicars and tarts, people dressed as a set of crayons (yes crayons) your head spins trying to see them all. Yes the streets are crowded and yes there were a few kerfuffles but overall the attitude is positive. The best part is the fireworks supplied I believe by the Sloop Inn. Fantastic in every sense of the word! We were also treated to a streak by a very drunk young man, a brave and selfless act on a cold December night. Thank you for being part of my New Year and providing such a wonderful idea